PDA

View Full Version : I scored some Oak

allboy
03-16-2018, 06:23 PM
So I scored some Oak. I know it's mostly great on Beef, but how would it do with Pork, or Chicken?

pjtexas1
03-16-2018, 06:28 PM
It'll work but depending on your taste it might be too much for chicken. Try it and see what you think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Westx
03-16-2018, 06:30 PM
I cook everything wit Oak. On pork I will throw some chunks of Cherry or Apple in with it. Same goes for chicken.

Cook
03-16-2018, 06:50 PM
It will go well with anything. Use sparingly with chicken...but that goes with all wood. Oak is not a strong, overbearing flavor.

BBQ Freak
03-16-2018, 06:51 PM
I found it all depends on how well it is seasoned and it burns real clean .

Cook
03-16-2018, 06:51 PM
It'll work but depending on your taste it might be too much for chicken. Try it and see what you think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oak is one of, if not "the", most mild flavor from the nut trees. You always have to use smoke in moderation with chicken...but that is with all woods.

sarth67
03-16-2018, 07:16 PM
I have a feeling this Deep south live oak is not as good as other oaks the flavor is super strong. My wife HATES anything I smoke in oak. If I use pear cherry or apple she loves it. Sad thing my yard is covered in live oak :(

kevinstaggs
03-16-2018, 10:05 PM
I use a lot of post oak. Works good for everything IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Music Junkie
03-16-2018, 10:50 PM
So I scored some Oak. I know it's mostly great on Beef, but how would it do with Pork, or Chicken?

I have a Santa Maria pit, and I use oak most of the time. Chicken and pork are both wonderful on the pit. If you are using it on a smoker, it is fairly light in flavor. Mix it with a little pecan if you have any, and it is a nice mixture. :thumb:

Rockinar
03-17-2018, 01:21 AM
All we use in Texas is oak. Goes on everything.

Beentown
03-17-2018, 04:33 AM
I know some are on the wet wood side of the fence but oak is one of the woods that need a longer seasoning. Only downside it has IMHO. Great coals/burn and mild flavor.

Monkey Uncle
03-17-2018, 05:02 AM
I have a feeling this Deep south live oak is not as good as other oaks the flavor is super strong. My wife HATES anything I smoke in oak. If I use pear cherry or apple she loves it. Sad thing my yard is covered in live oak :(

Live oak is in the red oak group. Red oaks have more tannins than white oaks and will produce stronger smelling/tasting smoke. The way to counter this is to season it longer and/or use less of it. The flavors get milder as the wood seasons more, and the wood burns cleaner and produces less smoke.

Make sure it is fully seasoned before you use it. If it hisses when you burn it, it isn't seasoned enough. Give it few more months and try again.

Various species of red oak are used in smoking all the time - no reason you shouldn't be able to use it also.

Big George's BBQ
03-17-2018, 07:55 AM
A lot of people really like oak I prefer pecan, apple, and cherry