PDA

View Full Version : Venison suggestions?

mrboy
03-15-2018, 07:56 PM
I got a venison rump roast from a golf buddy today, not sure what/how to smoke it.

From what I understand medium is moves the flavor profile more towards beef, less than medium moves the flavor more toward gamy. I'm opting for medium at this point.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.:doh::doh::doh:

Pedro7
03-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Medium rare in my opinion. Venison dries out quick. Keep it bleeding :)

mrboy
03-15-2018, 08:35 PM
How about stuffing a sausage in it and wrapping in bacon like a pork loin... also a very lean cut?

Pedro7
03-15-2018, 08:43 PM
I've done bacon wrapped venison tenderloins that were amazing, but not a whole roast. I'd imagine it wouldn't hurt it. I mean, it is bacon after all. Only one way to find out!

16Adams
03-15-2018, 08:55 PM
I don’t hunt much anymore, but at one time I’d harvest 4/5 deer annually. Not giants, but tasty white tails from the Texas Hill country. I’d get backstraps butterfly, tenderloins whole. Quarters were burger, sausage and tenderized steaks (cutlets). Occasionally I’d quarter- remove the gold and head home. I kept a quarter or two and I was never disappointed- unless it was over cooked- tough.

Cube it- marinade over night grill kabobs.
Cube it- smash it flat and chicken fry
Cube it- smash it S&P fry it in garlic butter/ biscuits
Cube it- sauté and dump in crock pot with cream soup/ serve over rice
Smoke it whole on a long cook- slice off thin as it cooks wrap with Swiss cheese
Remove meat- grind it- mix 50/50 ground pork and sausage seasoning
Slice thin and stir fry

These are some of the ways we enjoyed deer

Mason Dixon Bowhunta
03-15-2018, 09:11 PM
I agree with Pedro. Anything past medium rare will be dry. If you have a slicer you can cut the roast into steakums. Venison cheese steaks are da bomb

ModelMaker
03-16-2018, 07:52 AM
"Occasionally I’d quarter- remove the gold and head home. I kept a quarter or two and I was never disappointed- unless it was over cooked- tough"

What do you mean by this?
Harvest a game animal, remove a few favorite pieces and leave the remainder in the field?
Ed

Pocchampion
03-16-2018, 09:46 AM
The more done the more “game” taste and drier it will be. Same as duck elk etc. low low fat content lends itself to med rare cooking unless you take all the way to a stew.

mowin
03-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Cooking it to a higher IT will not make it less gamy.
Gammy flavor depends on the age, sex, time of season it was harvested, and more importantly, how it was handled after the kill.

That said, I've smoke many a venison roast, and a few whole hinds. As mentioned above, venison is very lean. Anything over med rare will dry it out and make it tuff as nails. I Smoke mine at 225* to a IT of 125*. Let sit for a little bit before slicing.

Venison pastrami is also another option, but takes 10 days.

16Adams
03-16-2018, 03:48 PM
"Occasionally I’d quarter- remove the gold and head home. I kept a quarter or two and I was never disappointed- unless it was over cooked- tough"

What do you mean by this?
Harvest a game animal, remove a few favorite pieces and leave the remainder in the field?
Ed

Absolutely NOT. At no time did I say nor infer that. What a terrible thing to say or accuse.

I would harvest hang skin and field dress the deer. If time I would take to a processor. If no time I would remove back strap- tenderloins and pack the quarters home in a cooler, that was if the professional processor was not available. It was a 400 mile trip home.

Good grief.

Harmony BBQ
03-16-2018, 08:33 PM
I agree about the medium rare comments as well if oven or grill/smoker cooking. I don't normally do the bacon wrap thing unless I'm cooking meatloaf. However, I've had some mighty fine shredded venison sandwiches from roasts that are slow cooked in the crock pot, essentially a braise in red wine and beef or chicken stock. Not bbq, but darn tasty.

WareZdaBeef
03-16-2018, 08:56 PM
I would slice for jerky. Or like others have mentioned, sausage. But you need to add some pork fat, or if you have a fat wallet, pork belly. But to be cost conservative, mix with pork butt.

Smoke Dawg
03-16-2018, 09:30 PM
Absolutely NOT. At no time did I say nor infer that. What a terrible thing to say or accuse.

I would harvest hang skin and field dress the deer. If time I would take to a processor. If no time I would remove back strap- tenderloins and pack the quarters home in a cooler, that was if the professional processor was not available. It was a 400 mile trip home.

Good grief.

They way it was written I can see how it was questioned but what I know of you - I would not think how it read was what you meant

Thanks for clairifying.

to the OP

You can never go wrong with jerky!

16Adams
03-16-2018, 09:55 PM
Deer down

Option 1: field dress carry to processor
Option 2: field dress, skin, remove backstrap, tenders, quarter ( disjoint knees hips) neck trimming pack on ice head home.

Option 1 was always preferred, processing was cheap back then.

Bottom line- every deer harvested was either professional processed or straps tenders quarters packed on ice in coolers and brought home. I listed multiple, I mean multiple ways to cook the quarters. Zero waste- every thing used.

I’m out.

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/4-step-deer-butchering-the-path-to-amazing-venison

ModelMaker
03-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Good grief.

I wasn't trying to be accusatory just wondered what you meant. Thanks for the response.
Carry on.
Ed