PDA

View Full Version : Firebrick Pit Build Help

samadaman
03-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Hello!

I'm thinking about building a smoker/bbq out of recycled firebricks. Does anyone have any experience with this? My plan is to treat it like a barrel smoker in the idea that the coals/logs will sit in a basket at the bottom of the pit above the air inlets and I'll have a steel plate to cover the top.

This way I can control air in and air out and have a few racks in between to put the food on.

I love the idea of this as I imagine the firebricks will be really well insulated and the fire will be below the food which I hear good reviews from the barrel pit barbeques.

Anyone done this? Would recommend against it or would vouch for the idea? Any construct-ability issues?

Looking for any stories on an outdoor firebrick pit.

All help is much appreciated,
Cheers!

SmittyJonz
03-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Do It. :thumb:

Coat
03-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Seems like it would be cost prohibitive. You say recycled though, so if you have it on hand why not?

samadaman
03-15-2018, 10:17 PM
I'm looking at all angles in case there's something glaringly wrong with my idea. After all it will be a permanent fixture

martyleach
03-15-2018, 10:53 PM
How do you get re-cycled fire bricks? Wish I could as they are kinda pricey.

samadaman
03-16-2018, 12:17 AM
NZ ebay (trademe) has them pop up every now and again. I'll snap some up when they come about.

ebijack
03-16-2018, 05:05 AM
Here is one posting
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76534

Use the search at the bottom of the page for others.

bschoen
03-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Perhaps checkout an Armenian tonir via google. Someone posted a link to a youtube video about a tonir not too long ago. Looked cool (err, hot?).

OklaDustDevil
03-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Some years ago I found a bunch of plans on the internet for what was called an NC-style hog cooker. It was brick and had two sides with two chimneys. You use one side to burn wood down to coals, then shovel them over to the other side under a rack for the hog.

Looked great, and the plans were for homeowner construction. You might look for something similar and just eliminate one side if you want to burn wood under the rack.