PDA

View Full Version : Spice mixer grinder?

ArnieTex
03-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Looking to buy a spice mixer, I make my own brisket rub and chicken rub, want to make larger batches, 10-20 lbs at a time at least.
Have looked all over the net and have not found something that mixes that small a batch, wonder if any one here has found one?
Also want to find a quality grinder that can grind different sizes, I bought a high dollar coffee grinder for that but seems no matter what setting it all comes out fine powder so that didn't work.
Thanks

EricD
03-14-2018, 11:14 AM
I've had success using my Cuisinart Coffee Grinder. Just do short bursts so it doesn't turn to powder.
https://www.jbprince.com/culinary-machines/cuisinart-coffee-grinder.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi97465rs2QIVTlmGCh18 2AIlEAkYBCABEgJ0FfD_BwE

bschoen
03-14-2018, 11:40 AM
A burr style coffee grinder should give you a repeatable grind. Just type in "burr coffee grinder" into amazon or ebay or your online addiction center of choice.
An old hand style coffee grinder is another good option.

TedW
03-14-2018, 11:52 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-04-Infinity-Conical-Stainless/dp/B001QTVXCS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521046263&sr=8-3&keywords=conical+burr+coffee+grinder

Adjustable grind. I have used one for coffee for 12 years. I've given them as gifts. I like 'em and have thought I would use them if I ever went for spice grinding volume. Which I don't plan to...

Joshw
03-14-2018, 03:21 PM
This isn't exactly high end, but I have been using it for years, and it works great. If you want to pay more, I am sure there are some better ones out there. Just make sure to get a burr grinder. As far as mixing. I don't do that large of batches, but I mix my spices before I grind, and then put them in a container with a lid, and shake real good after grinding.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Automatic-Grinder-BMH23-RB-1/dp/B004T6EJS0

keeperofsecrets
03-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Use the keyword "mixie" on Amazon (or in google) for a selection of grinders used to grind Indian spices.

bschoen
03-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Not to be a pedantic donkey (as if I can help it) but I caution against grinding and mixing more than you will use in a month. Whole spices have a long storage life, once ground, not so much.

But you already knew that, I'll bray in another direction for a while.

slackdogbbq
03-14-2018, 06:48 PM
La Machine Food Processor I. This was given to my bride and myself as a wedding gift in 1987.

This thing has done many jobs over that time including many pounds of rub and homemade pinto cheese which is stout to mix.

You can find one on eBay for cheap and you will not be disappointed.

Pyrotech
03-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Looking to buy a spice mixer, I make my own brisket rub and chicken rub, want to make larger batches, 10-20 lbs at a time at least.
Have looked all over the net and have not found something that mixes that small a batch, wonder if any one here has found one?
Also want to find a quality grinder that can grind different sizes, I bought a high dollar coffee grinder for that but seems no matter what setting it all comes out fine powder so that didn't work.
Thanks

for 10 to 20lbs at time? how often are mixing that amount?

I used to do 25 lbs at time by hand. I used a couple of large food grade plastic totes from a restaurant supply and just mixed by hand. it really did not take that long. Just make sure to wear a dust filter.

if you find one I would be interested hearing about it

mike243
03-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Without buying another contraption I would use my Ninja blender on pulse mode and probably get a couple lbs in it at 1 time

nmeyer414
03-17-2018, 11:22 AM
are you looking for a mixer or a grinder?