PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Italian Beef

bonz50
03-14-2018, 10:41 AM
we commonly make a standard chicago style Italian Beef that we roast in the oven up to about 135* or so then put in the fridge over night and slice. We've never smoked one, but thinking about trying it, has anyone tried doing this before?? how did it turn out? does the smoke go complement the hot giardineira and mozzarella?

Shagdog
03-14-2018, 12:59 PM
I've done them, of course its delicious! Anything you make in the oven is better on the smoker

kwas68
03-14-2018, 01:15 PM
I've made it. It was a different taste. I ended up calling it "pit beef." Chilled it, sliced it thin and warmed it in the smoky au jus. Since it was different in taste, I improvised and mixed in some BBQ sauce in the jus. It made it better. Served it the same way on French bread. It was good but I had a hard time calling it "Italian."

bonz50
03-14-2018, 02:11 PM
I owuld think to retain the 'italian-ness' of it I would want to have a very light smoke on it. probably run the cooker up to about 325-350 for an hour or two depending on size of course with a drip pan underneath for the jus.

KevinJ
03-14-2018, 09:12 PM
I've done them, of course its delicious! Anything you make in the oven is better on the smoker+1...

thirdeye
03-15-2018, 12:55 AM
we commonly make a standard chicago style Italian Beef that we roast in the oven up to about 135* or so then put in the fridge over night and slice. We've never smoked one, but thinking about trying it, has anyone tried doing this before?? how did it turn out? does the smoke go complement the hot giardineira and mozzarella?

Yes, go for it.

https://i.imgur.com/lJM9T.jpg

nmeyer414
03-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Pitmaster T had a thread a while back with something very similar to this.....I cant find it right now, let me do some more searching and see if I can find it?

Steve S
03-15-2018, 10:26 AM
I havent tried it but it sounds delicious.

Big George's BBQ
03-15-2018, 10:30 AM
I have never done the Italian Roast Beef but I have done RB using a sirloin roast for sammies and it is really good

Shagdog
03-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Bonz, don't be afraid of the smoke, beef can handle it. Plus, once you thin slice and aujus it, its really a very small amount of the beef that actually takes on the smoke flavor. I would roast it slow, around 200 to an IT of 130 and then sear it. The slower you cook it, the more evenly the beef will cook. If you cook it at 325-350, sure the center will be 135, but half your roast will be gray and overcooked.

kwas68
03-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Plus, once you thin slice and aujus it, its really a very small amount of the beef that actually takes on the smoke flavor.

I agree that the meat doesn't take on that much flavor. Italian beef is commonly roasted over a pan of flavorful broth to collect the delicious drippings. This is what absorbed the smoky flavor when I cooked it.

bonz50
03-15-2018, 02:07 PM
I agree that the meat doesn't take on that much flavor. Italian beef is commonly roasted over a pan of flavorful broth to collect the delicious drippings. This is what absorbed the smoky flavor when I cooked it.
that's how we do it too. :thumb:

jermoQ
03-15-2018, 11:03 PM
I've done them, of course its delicious! Anything you make in the oven is better on the smoker

I haven't ever done it, but the philosophy behind " better on the smoker" is undebatable. :nod:

PlattDaddyBBQ
03-16-2018, 08:22 AM
I have done this, and roughly followed the recipe that was on amazing ribs, and it was AMAZING!!! My in laws are from the Chicago area and when they introduced me to Portillos I knew I was going to be making some Italian Beef in the near future. There is also a pretty good youtube video of a guy using this recipe, cooking on a Lang. I hope to see some awesome cook pics, good luck brethren!!!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/chicago-italian-beef-sandwich-recipe

PlattDaddyBBQ
03-16-2018, 08:23 AM
The youtube video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BJFiiOXEHE

bonz50
03-16-2018, 09:07 AM
I have done this, and roughly followed the recipe that was on amazing ribs, and it was AMAZING!!! My in laws are from the Chicago area and when they introduced me to Portillos I knew I was going to be making some Italian Beef in the near future. There is also a pretty good youtube video of a guy using this recipe, cooking on a Lang. I hope to see some awesome cook pics, good luck brethren!!!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/chicago-italian-beef-sandwich-recipe

we use a variant of that recipe, we've altered the spice package a bit for personal taste and upped the richness of the jus a little.

for the record, if you cant make the giardiniera yourself I highly recommend going to a Potbelly's sandwich shop (if you have one nearby), they have an amazing pepper mix that they sell, great heat, nice crunch, excellent flavor. we are going to try to replicate it sometime this summer

kwas68
03-16-2018, 10:00 AM
I used the Amazing Ribs recipe too. It is a great start. I cut the amount of black pepper in the rub in half. It was too spicy for my tastes. I'd start here and add it to the jus if you find it too mild. Keep in mind, it will get spicier as it warms.

I also added some fat to the jus. If you ever get Italian beef to make at home from an Italian deli, it usually comes with a brick of beef tallow. It really adds to the flavor. The first sandwiches dipped in this stuff is heavenly. I make beef tallow from brisket trimmings but you can substitute with butter.

bonz50
03-16-2018, 10:19 AM
we tend to like it spicy so we typically add some black pepper and red flake as well. then top with peppers and depending on the mood maybe some mozzarella

PlattDaddyBBQ
03-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Same here, that is why I said roughly follow! We all have our own taste so always good to have a guideline for the first cook, then alter for our own needs. But after reading this thread I want to go make some Italian Beef myself now!! lol

isuhunter
03-26-2018, 10:22 PM
Did you use ground oregano?

I made this tonight and the ground oregano is powerful!