PDA

View Full Version : Spare Ribs - Extreme KISS

JohnH12
03-14-2018, 08:54 AM
I thought I asked this yesterday but maybe I hit the wrong button.
From another BBQ forum:
Extremely simple spares.
Open the package, rinse, put on the smoker until about 195 IT.
No rub or spices at all and membrane left on.
The OP said the tasted great and were very juicy. The pics looked great also.
Any Brethren tried this?

ChrisBarb
03-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Not even salt?

dadsr4
03-14-2018, 09:09 AM
Yes.

JohnH12
03-14-2018, 09:41 AM
No spices or sauces of any sort. Anyone wanting salt, pepper, other spice, or sauce adds it at the table. No looking or spritzing at all until IT is reached.
Ribs have been my downfall since forever.
I plan to try this for the next cook.

DriverWild
03-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Sounds lazy to be honest. Why not spend the 10 minutes to prep it the right way?

Rockinar
03-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Sounds like the work of someone that doesn't know what they are doing, and really dont care.

jimmypop
03-14-2018, 12:07 PM
I think I would have a tough time not at least adding some salt and pepper but maybe it works.

My wife's family does oven ribs for an hour and a half at 350 unwrapped with only salt and pepper and they turn out great so nothing surprises me anymore

Nuco59
03-14-2018, 12:21 PM
This is a rib cook- hardly a time/operation intensive ordeal with many check boxes for steps to be performed exactly by the book.

As far as prep goes- he either put off (or omitted) maybe 2 steps? 3 tops. And of those -some people omit the same things during their "fully planned and executed cooks"

There is a certain freedom in "not caring". If he is happy with the results, is he really worse off than someone who frets every little aspect?

brbaker
03-14-2018, 12:33 PM
I would have a hard time spending the time and money on spare ribs and not enhancing the flavor while I was at it. Kinda takes the fun out of cooking them.

BlueandGoldBBQ
03-14-2018, 12:33 PM
I felt lazy for not wrapping sometimes lol

dadsr4
03-14-2018, 12:59 PM
I answered yes because I tried it to find out what the meat by itself tasted like. I've done this with most of the meats I cook outdoors. I don't normally cook this way.
For ribs, I cook whole spares, because they have the most flavor all by themselves. I pull the membrane because that's the way we've learned we prefer them. A light coating of low salt rub, because it enhances the meat's flavor.
For butts, no rub. The surface to volume ratio of a butt would require too much rub to get any flavor, plus we like the flavor of pork just fine and can add other flavors easily after pulling.
For chicken, I don't care for the flavorless quality of white meat, so that goes to my wife and she chooses what goes on it. Dark meat has an excellent flavor of it's own, which can be improved with a little rub.

JohnH12
03-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Thanks but for those who have not or would not try it the simple answer would be... No and I don't want to.
No reason to bash the OP on the other forum and call them lazy. In fact he's well respected there and likes to experiment and tell folks if it was good or bad.
Maybe there's a reason he's not on this forum. I thought there would be a few more open minded people here who would be more curious than critical.
I guess it wouldn't be worthwhile to post any experiment results here that aren't the norm.

blazinfire
03-14-2018, 02:16 PM
Thanks but for those who have not or would not try it the simple answer would be... No and I don't want to.
No reason to bash the OP on the other forum and call them lazy. In fact he's well respected there and likes to experiment and tell folks if it was good or bad.
Maybe there's a reason he's not on this forum. I thought there would be a few more open minded people here who would be more curious than critical.
I guess it wouldn't be worthwhile to post any experiment results here that aren't the norm.

Hate to be that guy but....... I completely agree here..

My answer is no.. I have not tried completely naked bbq. I always salt/pepper/onion/garlic my food unless I'm using a rub. I Love allowing the meat to shine when it comes to flavors of BBQ though.. but I feel it has to have a little help in the flavor department

I would be more likely to try no seasoning on beef than pork.. Also allowing people to season their meat after the fact? I'm sure that is a little strange in texture and flavor compared to seasonings cooking with the meat.

Vicar
03-14-2018, 02:31 PM
Depends on the quality of the meat or ribs.

Some people prefer it that way.

IMHO freshly dispatched meat, does taste good without an salt or rubs.

smoke ninja
03-14-2018, 07:08 PM

Wow you really read alot into the previous comments. Not sure why your shocked at lack of support for unseasoned meat. It goes contraire to all cooking logic out there. But then this is all heresay as you haven't done the experiment, its just anecdotal. Do the cook post it and then complain we don't agree with you

I only salt on pork butts and season and dress the meat when finished for the record

smoke ninja
03-14-2018, 08:33 PM
An experiment and discussion about alternative seasoning methods just to prove we are not against proper discussion. Still seasoned tho. Couple good nuggets in there.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240092

Wesman61
03-14-2018, 08:48 PM
My bbq philosophy is that the combination of meat, smoke and salt are the foundation of bbq flavor and all the other seasonings play a much smaller role. I hardly use anything but sea salt or kosher salt and pepper anymore. I am also open to experiment with methods that I think I'm not going to like. When I started seeing recommendations to use only salt and pepper on brisket I just couldn't see that being a good idea. Tried it anyway and now it's my go-to method. Cheaper, easier and taste great.

ulc
03-14-2018, 09:03 PM
I've cooked St. Louis spare ribs and rib tips many times this way. If I smoke 3 rack of spare ribs, 2 will get zero seasoning and only 1 rack will get light salt and pepper. Originally, I smoked some rib tips plain with no rub or seasoning because I wanted to give to my puppy. But the plain rib tips were so good that we ended up eating most of it instead of giving it to the puppy. Since then, I smoked most ribs naked. I hang and smoke ribs on 18.5 WSM. I find the smoke from the fat drippings burning on the coals give plenty of flavor and rubs and seasoning are unnecessary. I prefer to eat my ribs with TJ's Kansas City style sauce but I serve the sauce separately on the side and don't sauce the ribs.

cowgirl
03-14-2018, 09:35 PM
I like to leave spares whole, sometimes I leave the membrane on and sometimes not. Usually slather with bacon drippings and season with cracked black pepper and coarse salt.
I have tossed them on the smoker with no seasoning. Then seasoned a bit after the smoke. They come out tasty too.

Czarbecue
03-14-2018, 10:37 PM
No. But maybe I should also boil ribs and tell people they are moist and tender too, because I would not be wrong.

DanB
03-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Hi All Next time I do ribs, I'm going to try this with one rack..His pics looked really good?
DanB

JohnH12
03-15-2018, 09:16 AM
Wow you really read alot into the previous comments. Not sure why your shocked at lack of support for unseasoned meat. It goes contraire to all cooking logic out there. But then this is all heresay as you haven't done the experiment, its just anecdotal. Do the cook post it and then complain we don't agree with you

I only salt on pork butts and season and dress the meat when finished for the record

The responses I saw as unnecessarily negative was where some said the attempt was "lazy".
Most others either completely disagreed, which is expected but not rude, or said they have or haven't tried it.
I apologize for bringing an out of the box thought to the forum if it offended the sensibilities of the self designated BBQ experts.
I'll leave this subject alone now.

dadsr4
03-15-2018, 09:35 AM
The responses I saw as unnecessarily negative was where some said the attempt was "lazy".
Most others either completely disagreed, which is expected but not rude, or said they have or haven't tried it.
I apologize for bringing an out of the box thought to the forum if it offended the sensibilities of the self designated BBQ experts.
I'll leave this subject alone now.
It was a good question, don't let a few people discourage you.
There are quite a few people here who are forever pushing the envelope of how to prepare elaborate food outdoors. Most people basically cook the same way every time. Then there are are those who can't understand those who cover up the taste of the meat. Just salt and pepper is quite common, with onion and garlic powder added is more popular.
There is room for all.