PDA

View Full Version : Offset pellet conversion or Minion method

BigDon
03-12-2018, 08:03 PM
I am not interested in a stick burner but have found a patio reverse flow I really like. Anyone have any luck with the Minion method? Next option I was looking at was getting a hopper from Smoke Daddy and turning it into a pellet pooper. I am looking for something to get me a few hours sleep at night and not have to babysit so much. The cook chamber is 24x36 with 3 racks.

Thanks for any help!

pjtexas1
03-12-2018, 09:13 PM
From what I've read it'll eat thru a lot of charcoal but it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Stlsportster
03-12-2018, 09:22 PM
If you really want to burn charcoal you'll be much happier with a vertical cabinet or a UDS, PBC or WSM.

If you buy a reverse flow stick burner use it to burn sticks. Then use a UDS when you don't have time.

SmittyJonz
03-12-2018, 09:39 PM
I’d get an Insulated Cabinet Charcoal Smoker - plenty to choose from.
If you want pellets Assassin has pelletized their Assassin Grill.....or get one of them other Pellet “Smokers”.......

BigDon
03-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys! I was hoping with the insulated FB and the smaller cooking chamber maybe charcoal or pellets would work. I see Yoder heating those YS1500 with pellets so I thougt maybe it might have a chance.

el luchador
03-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys! I was hoping with the insulated FB and the smaller cooking chamber maybe charcoal or pellets would work. I see Yoder heating those YS1500 with pellets so I thougt maybe it might have a chance.

charcoal WILL work. combustion is not voodoo it's science.

youll just need to run it like you run a drum. more charcoal than needed and then you have to control it with your air intake.

BigDon
03-13-2018, 08:04 AM
charcoal WILL work. combustion is not voodoo it's science.

youll just need to run it like you run a drum. more charcoal than needed and then you have to control it with your air intake.

Thanks!

So would a fan with a controler help or a natural regulated air flow work better?

el luchador
03-13-2018, 09:05 AM
Thanks!

So would a fan with a controler help or a natural regulated air flow work better?

a fan with a controller should work better. I mean, you should be able to set it and forget it even without a controller as long as you have the airflow correct,

but a fan just makes it a lot easier to maintain tight temp controls.

Rockinar
03-13-2018, 12:38 PM
I takes a chimney of charcoal and couple of splits to heat the steel and get mine up to temp. I dont see how a little smoldering charcoal or pellets would work or would ever get it up to temp.

BigDon
03-13-2018, 01:01 PM
I takes a chimney of charcoal and couple of splits to heat the steel and get mine up to temp. I dont see how a little smoldering charcoal or pellets would work or would ever get it up to temp.

So how does the Yoder 649 or even the 1500 work so well? I understand the don't have a fb but they are still having to heat a large area with pellets and it looks like they do a good job at it.