PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Compliments

OEF5
03-12-2018, 03:40 PM
What's the best compliment you've gotten, or what is your proudest moment from your BBQ?

Mine was just the other night, Tyler Shirley called me the bean master, and the whole shirley crew loved my beans with our home made rub in them. Jakesville Farm represented itself well that night and something I don't think I'll ever top. I sat in the hotel room the next day and was like "holy crap, I just cooked for one of, if not the best pit builders in the country and blew them away with my beans"

dadsr4
03-12-2018, 03:52 PM
A few people have told me that restaurant ribs don't taste good any more.

bonz50
03-12-2018, 04:04 PM
I've prepared Q for a few small events with our football teams and the parents have subsequently asked me to do graduation parties for their kids. I haven't decided to take them up on it yet, but I might.

LloydQ
03-12-2018, 04:50 PM
I did 8 butts for a wedding reception once. A couple of the guests were helping me pull it beforehand and they were discussing the other foods that were on the menu. When they mentioned desserts, one of the guys said, " This is my damn dessert right here!"

keeperofsecrets
03-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Two stories:

Within a month of me spending $2,200 on my stick burner, my wife went RAW. For the uninitiated, this is Vegan ++. About a year later, I won her back to the omnivore camp for one meat: my baby backs.

Second story: living in Georgia where BBQ = Pulled Pork. I made a brisket that was so good that a very southern older woman came to where I was eating and she made me stand up so she could hug me. She congratulated me for making the best PORK she ever had.

medic92
03-12-2018, 05:24 PM
I've had a lot of people tell me they can't stand mac and cheese from anyone else now.

It's only tangentially food related but the one that makes me the most proud was when the inspector from the health department surprised us one day with an inspection. We got 100% on the inspection which was awesome, but when he was finished he walked around to the order window and ordered a bunch of food. I really can't think of a better compliment on our cleanliness and attention to food safety.

Stingerhook
03-12-2018, 06:36 PM
My goddaughter told her father his ribs were good but "Uncle Marty's are better"

BBQ Freak
03-12-2018, 06:39 PM
Caitlyn my little girl ate a whole plate of them beans and never liked beans before she tried yours so your doing it right Matt .

BigKing
03-12-2018, 06:49 PM
It's probably a lot easier here in SoCal, but I frequently get "those are the best ribs I've ever had" from friends and guests. I take it with a huge grain of salt since most of these people have never had legit ribs but rather baby backs that aren't smoked and are covered in sauce from a restaurant.

It's fun to have them ask for sauce, I tell them to just try it without the sauce first and then the sauce just sits unused on the table.

jermoQ
03-12-2018, 07:28 PM
This past Christmas Eve: I made ribs the way my wife requested because she likes them the best so far. Season baby backs 8 to 12 hours before, fire up my UDS and cook uncovered for 2 or so hours, then wrap sprinkled on both sides with brown sugar and a little cider vinegar to almost done, then uncover and let dry a little and finish.
My uncle who doesn't eat more than 2 or 3 ribs at a normal family bbq, ate 6, a few of my cousins went back for 3rds and one of my aunt's who is always on a lose 10 lbs in three days diet, ate a couple as well. I felt like I just won the Royal! :peace::first:

I read this question to my wife and she says "my turkey was pretty good!"--the one and only thing that she smoked on my pellet grill for thanksgiving while I was busy. How do I argue with That? :shock: It was pretty tasty!

pjtexas1
03-12-2018, 07:33 PM
One of my favorites. Sorry for those who have already heard it...

Best/most awkward: i cook for this friend of mine every time his family is in town. a few years back i made bb ribs for them. seems that as*grandma was eating the ribs she had one of those When Harry Met Sally moments with full on moaning and such. apparently all of the adults nearly wet themselves laughing but the grand kids were never the same again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Blythewood BBQ'er
03-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Had a sponsor of my friend's racecar team come to my friend's birthday party and he said that he showed up with a Band Aid on his finger. He told me he was sucking th goodness off his finger and pulled the band aid off. He said hell that bbq made my band aid taste so good, I swallowed it too!

thunderalley3
03-12-2018, 07:40 PM
We had my wife's partners daughter and husband in town with two of their friends for raceweek. We had been at a competition that weekend and when we cleaned out the trailer we took our left over meat from the comp and put it in the fridge where they were staying. They called my wife's partner 1200 miles away and said that they were eating the best bbq they had ever had. They had reservations at a very nice restaurant that evening, cancelled and stayed in and ate our bbq.

zackgirton6
03-12-2018, 07:46 PM
I got told by someone that they normally try to be vegan but that my ribs made them never be vegan again.... also another guy told me he wanted to take my brisket home and put it under his pillow

BBQ Freak
03-12-2018, 07:56 PM
mine is my wife and prides me almost every time I cook BBQ and will not let me eat BBQ out because she says why eat out when yours is the best that I have eaten .

ironmanerik
03-12-2018, 07:58 PM
My neighbors stepdad showed up one day as ribs were coming off the smoker, said "I here your ribs are pretty good, I hope i'm not disappointed no one makes a better rib than me." I watched him eat one, look at me, eat another one, half look at me half look at the ground he said "you s** of a b****"

WeberWho
03-12-2018, 08:48 PM
I think one of the best compliments you can receive is nothing at all. Those little pockets of silence at the dinner table when friends and family are so focused on their meal that conversation is forgotten. That's when you know you nailed it!

wihint
03-12-2018, 08:53 PM
I made some brisket for a family meal and my brother who is a Chef told me he wished my brisket was more crumbly like the nice Jewish lady we grew up next to. I have since then cut him of off all BBQ meals at our house....it does not hurt he is in Ann Arbor and we are in Phoenix :-D

LOL he is just not a BBQ person.

bergenguy
03-12-2018, 09:03 PM
My wife volunteered me to cook a brisket for a gathering of my wife's friends. Unfortunately at this point in my BBQ career, I was working with a gasser with a smoker box and had never actually done a whole packer brisket before. Well I made it work and it came out to rave reviews. After which my wife said "You need a real smoker, if you don't buy yourself one I'm buying you one".... and that is how I ended up with Johnson Custom Smokers 2D Patio. So now I get to cook on my compliment.

bryonlr
03-12-2018, 09:04 PM
No leftovers after a big cook. :-D

lastmajordude
03-12-2018, 09:29 PM
My goddaughter told her father his ribs were good but "Uncle Marty's are better"

“ OUCH!!! that one’s gonna leave a mark”!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!!! congrats!:clap2:

The Wookiee
03-13-2018, 05:16 AM
1) old old friends we have over for bbq fests at the house all the time... his 8 year old loves coming and gets all excited... his dad was proud of some sous vide steaks he did at home one night, ask his boys what they thought- “dad, you’re the 2nd best meat cook I know!” Says his 8yr old; dad then asks to confirm #1 and it was yours truly. From the mouths of youth....

2) couple Texans lost up in Seattle for a few years, always chatted bbq with them, finally had them over and served up a wagyu brisket S&P + clean smoke; his wife teared up and said “tastes like home only better”; hubby “better than franklin’s”.

stijntje113
03-13-2018, 08:51 AM
I really like these kind of topics!

My girlfriend doesn't want to eat out anymore.
Whenever she goes out to dinner with work or friends and she ordered steak, I get to hear that she did had regret an my steaks are best.
Same with ribs! :)

OEF5
03-13-2018, 08:58 AM
I agree with the statements about everyone eating and not talking. That's one of my joys wither I smoke, grill, or cook outside with the cast iron. Sitting back and just watching everyone enjoy it.

akoda
03-13-2018, 11:58 AM
I had someone tell me that my que was like a "mouth hug" :-D

kwas68
03-13-2018, 05:27 PM
I had the pleasure of having "Sweet Baby Ray" Dave Raymond taste my sauce. He was very kind and said "That's a good sauce!" I'll never forget that.

aks801
03-13-2018, 07:17 PM
My neighbors stepdad showed up one day as ribs were coming off the smoker, said "I here your ribs are pretty good, I hope i'm not disappointed no one makes a better rib than me." I watched him eat one, look at me, eat another one, half look at me half look at the ground he said "you s** of a b****"

That there is a great story!

Two stories:
- cooked ribeyes once for my late father in law. And he had cooked more steak in his life than anyone I know. He has a few bites, puts down his fork, points at it and says "outstanding!"
- my mother in law thinks my brisket is so good she keeps telling me I should get a trailer smoker and start going around and selling it.

IamMadMan
03-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Maybe an indirect compliment.

Evey year our local high school has an open house to showcase their culinary arts programs. The school has two trained chef's, one from the Culinary Arts Institute of America, and the other was a professional chef who became a baker.

When they plan that event, the administrators always call and ask me to smoke the meats and do the majority of the cooking in the smoker.

Cook
03-15-2018, 03:30 PM
A decade or so ago I had a small roadside barbecue joint. Kept it open about a year before shuttering the doors. My fault...I chose the wrong town to do business in. I take full blame.

But...

One of my regular customers was a local businessman. He owned a trucking company out on the interstate just a few miles away. He would come in with his young wife & their baby at least once a week if not more. If he didn't come that trip, then his wife would take him something. Well, the time came for us to close up shop. I hadn't advertised our closing or anything, so it was a bit of a shock as I told my regulars that last week.

I think it was actually our last day in business that this particular guy came in. We always spoke, but he never said much. We had never had a real conversation. Told him that it was our last day, he got his food, and ate...it didn't seem to bother him that we were closing.

But as he left...this guy who I only knew by seeing him once or twice a week eating my food...he pulled me to the side, gave me his business card, and said, "I know how to run a business, I have the money, you know how to cook & run a restaurant. If you ever want to open a new barbecue restaurant, call me."

THAT is the best compliment I have ever received...and likely the best one I'll ever get in my lifetime.

PS...I closed that business because I thought it was the right thing to do. Before I closed, I had already gotten a General Manager position from another one of my customers who owned five restaurants. So...I guess that's another compliment.

Kanco Connection
03-15-2018, 03:36 PM
My dad's getting up in years and is fighting cancer, so he doesn't have a great appetite for much. But he had some of my ribs last week and went back for 2nds and then 3rds. Haven't seen him do that in a long time. He was very happy and focused on his food for that short time. Made me feel good I could do that for him.

chingador
03-15-2018, 03:42 PM
A good friend of mine is a lifer in the restaurant business. He has been on my case the last couple of months trying to get me to open a BBQ restaurant with him, with my ribs being the main attraction.

Smoking Piney
03-15-2018, 05:47 PM
A brought in some pulled pork for my team for lunch after a team meeting.

The work spread......I've been asked to cook for the company picnic this summer. :-D

cullenbranson
03-15-2018, 06:26 PM
My nine year old daughter told me recently - referring to some oven ribs I made one rainy night - "dad, this is your best work!". <rhymes with duck>

zippy12
03-15-2018, 07:12 PM
When you go out to dinner and when you go to pay the bill the kids tell the waitress "My dads (XYZ) is much better" .... they are honest!

Another was a work mate and his wife had my ribs... They swore they were bacon!

21234rick
03-16-2018, 08:00 PM
My best compliment just came tonight.
I made baby back ribs for dinner. My 6 year old daughter took one bite and said "Daddy, I give this 10,000 stars!"

pjtexas1
03-16-2018, 08:33 PM
My best compliment just came tonight.
I made baby back ribs for dinner. My 6 year old daughter took one bite and said "Daddy, I give this 10,000 stars!"Everyone just walk away... You are not beating this. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Peter B
03-16-2018, 10:17 PM
The best compliment I have received was from a friend who gets invited every year to my Labor Day weekend BBQ. I usually go all out for that one. Anyway, a few years back my friend asked me for the day of the BBQ about three months in advance because he was trying to schedule his family vacation around it. That gave me a good laugh and also feel pretty amazing about what these memories mean to friends and family.

My second favorite compliment was from another friend whom I overheard telling another guest that every year the food keeps getting better somehow. It makes the endless pursuit of learning and experimenting worthwhile when it is appreciated.

I owe a lot to the wonderful brethren here for helping out with information, advice, and inspiration.

TravelingJ
03-16-2018, 10:59 PM
I've had a lot of people tell me they can't stand mac and cheese from anyone else now.

They aren't wrong. Not even a little.

kynmo2010
03-17-2018, 06:32 AM
I cooked baby back ribs for a dinner our youth group had donated for a school auction. A guy came up tome and said he went to dental school in Kansas City, had eaten ribs at every restaurant in KC and my ribs were the best he had ever eaten. At a recent dinner auction, I donated a pulled pork dinner with sides for 20 people. He bid over $1000 for the dinner and wasn't the highest bidder.

TexArlina BBQ
03-17-2018, 07:29 AM
My son told me, "Dad we need you home from Afghanistan so we can have some real BBQ."

smoke ninja
03-17-2018, 08:52 AM
I was asked to cook for a friends wedding. They wanted a whole hog, ive never done one before

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/hog%20cook/20130622_160007_zpswtm5zeh_edit_1421870454565_zpsm zo0w0mo.jpg~original (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/hog%20cook/20130622_160007_zpswtm5zeh_edit_1421870454565_zpsm zo0w0mo.jpg.html)

Jason TQ
03-17-2018, 08:55 AM
When I worked back at the restaurant I decided to put my roasted red potato salad on the menu for a different spin on the traditional boiled and mayonnaised version. Tons of people loved it, but not being traditional and people being particular on how they like their bbq sides I did have this one amazing compliment that was part of their restaurant review they left on the FB page.

And I quote ".......and the potato salad is an abomination!". Best compliment ever :becky:. "Abomination" is a good thing, right???

SirPorkaLot
03-17-2018, 09:57 AM
When I worked back at the restaurant I decided to put my roasted red potato salad on the menu for a different spin on the traditional boiled and mayonnaised version. Tons of people loved it, but not being traditional and people being particular on how they like their bbq sides I did have this one amazing compliment that was part of their restaurant review they left on the FB page.

And I quote ".......and the potato salad is an abomination!". Best compliment ever :becky:. "Abomination" is a good thing, right???

Well the abominable snowman is a Big thing..
so maybe?

Cook
03-18-2018, 07:50 AM
I was asked to cook for a friends wedding. They wanted a whole hog, ive never done one before

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/hog%20cook/20130622_160007_zpswtm5zeh_edit_1421870454565_zpsm zo0w0mo.jpg~original (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/hog%20cook/20130622_160007_zpswtm5zeh_edit_1421870454565_zpsm zo0w0mo.jpg.html)

Good looking little piggy!

Try serving it skin side down. So much easier to serve, and still great presentation.

smoke ninja
03-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Good looking little piggy!

Try serving it skin side down. So much easier to serve, and still great presentation.

Thanks, ill keep that in mind for next time. I was in way over my head, i think our logic was right side up for presentation purpose, note that we sauced the skin. The groom had a fun time carving and believe it or not didnt get anything on that white tux. In hindsight i was so lucky that i pulled this off, first hog, first large cook. Timing was perfect and nobody died. I owe it all to the brethren

This isnt my proudest bbq moment though. That gets topped every year that Dave and Tom let us help with the big cook at the Michigan Veterans Foundation in Detroit. I look forward to memorial day as much as any day of the year.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/Michigan%20%20Custom%20Que/20150717_074451_zps6fmgi4kk.jpg~original (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/Michigan%20%20Custom%20Que/20150717_074451_zps6fmgi4kk.jpg.html)

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/Michigan%20%20Custom%20Que/20170529_100520_zps7mmndnvw.jpg~original (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/Michigan%20%20Custom%20Que/20170529_100520_zps7mmndnvw.jpg.html)

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/Michigan%20%20Custom%20Que/20170529_124745_zpspm3sev7o.jpg~original (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/Michigan%20%20Custom%20Que/20170529_124745_zpspm3sev7o.jpg.html)