PDA

View Full Version : Food Grate Made of Rebar

el_matt
03-12-2018, 02:45 PM
My youngest just got a used propane bbq. The food grate has seen better days. We're having difficulty finding a new grate, that doesn't cost more than he spent for the cooker. Is there any reason I shouldn't make one, out of new rebar? Seems to me, it would last a long time, but I'm no metalurgist. I was thinking about using 1/2" or 3/8" rods.

Matt

dadsr4
03-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Food would stick to rebar.

Divemaster
03-12-2018, 03:23 PM
I don't see why not. I use one for my pig roasts without an issue.

Food would stick to rebar.

Not really a problem. What I do is in spring and again if it's going to be a while between cooks is put a thin coat of Crisco (the solid stuff) all over it and cure it for an hour or more at 250*. This takes care of any chance of rust (which is high) and sticking.

dadsr4
03-12-2018, 03:58 PM
I don't see why not. I use one for my pig roasts without an issue.

Not really a problem. What I do is in spring and again if it's going to be a while between cooks is put a thin coat of Crisco (the solid stuff) all over it and cure it for an hour or more at 250*. This takes care of any chance of rust (which is high) and sticking.
It's designed for concrete to stick to it, with an aggressive texture.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvrBX26_Em5DmRilsBuu7UrNF0hsTN8 liamaUGvORabA6QnW1PUQ
I'd use something smooth, myself. If it was free, though...

airedale
03-12-2018, 04:24 PM
If I invest my time to build something I want to be proud of it, so I would use better material. Maybe something like 304 stainless rod, though that would not be cheap.

A number of years ago I built a pit wagon (racing, not BBQ) out of square steel tubing, then had it bright nickel plated by a local store fixture manufacturer. I don't remember what the plating cost but it was not huge. So mild steel and plated might be an option.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Qkooker
03-12-2018, 04:48 PM
I used mild steel 3/8 hot roll. Works outstanding and not pricey. 20 foot joint runs $8.00 here in Texas.

Nuco59
03-12-2018, 05:36 PM
If you are handy with a welder, racks should be pretty easy to fab with some flat/round bar and thin expando. I would not jack with rebar. I know you want to keep it reasonable given the price of the cooker, but....

TyJones
03-12-2018, 05:40 PM
I used mild steel 3/8 hot roll. Works outstanding and not pricey. 20 foot joint runs $8.00 here in Texas.

I second that, done a couple with hot roll. You can also try something like this go to about 3 and 1/2 min in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYi45QEWZM8

wahoowad
03-12-2018, 05:47 PM
rebar frame with expanded metal as the cook surface

BBQchef33
03-12-2018, 10:10 PM
^^^^^
What he says!!

Rebar frame and expanded steel if it's small enough, but rebar may flex on a longer span when loaded with meat so some Angle line and expanded steel would work better.

martyleach
03-12-2018, 11:29 PM
Matt how big is the grate? Can you somehow Mickey Mouse a Charbroil grate or Weber grate in there? May have to cut to fit but they are mass produced and cheap.

thunderalley3
03-13-2018, 04:18 AM
I am with Marty on this, pick up a couple grates and cut and piece.

Also if you have an appliance scrap yard nearby the older fridges and freezers had nice steel wire shelves that aren't coated in them that are also easy to tack to a hot rolled bar frame and then just trim off with a grinder to size.