PDA

View Full Version : The Egg. The Egg. It's everywhere but here?

wahoowad
03-12-2018, 06:11 AM
Now I am sure some of you have a BGE, or maybe a Kamodo, but feel like most of us are using other types of smokers for our barbecue. If so, why is the BGE seemingly everywhere I go that sells outdoor cooking units?

I had to spend a few days recently running around town to town caring for a parent. I grabbed a few moments for myself and ate at some different qqb restaurants, but also stopped into a few patio or woodstove shops that carry a little grilling/smoking stuff. Every dang one of them had several BGE's lined up, and then maybe some expensive gas grill I have never heard of.

Anyway, just curious your thoughts on the pervasiveness of the egg and it's lower profile in the smoking/barbecue forum?

Big George's BBQ
03-12-2018, 06:25 AM
I believe there are a lot of people here who have had them They also have their own forum This place is not specific to the Egg It is extremely versatile-I can use it for cold smoking,smoke bacon or salmon at 150, Smoke pork or brisket all day and never need to add charcoal, sear steaks at really high heat or do a pizza. It is also rather expensive I got one for my 60th B Day from my wife I chose that over a party It is also small and will only hold so much A Lot of people here like to cook large amt of food, and allot like to use wood splits and/or pellets.. I love my Egg and for the most part I can do what I need to for my family

wahoowad
03-12-2018, 06:31 AM
Ahhh, yes, I can see how they have a limited grill surface to work with. Kind of like why I love my WSM but went am trying a pellet grill for more area.

Rockinar
03-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Its marketed as cooker that will do it all so its an easier sell. The buyer only has to be sold on the price.

rob g
03-12-2018, 08:12 AM
I've got the Kamado Joe Classic and I love it. It's very versatile, my butts and briskets are ALWAYS moist, it holds temperature like a champ even in the dead of winter in -30C. Could I use a larger cooker? Sometimes. I'm usually only cooking for the wife and I and it does everything we want. I don't compete and it would scare the hell out of me if I had to transport it around the country on a regular basis. I think the perception of it being fragile keeps it away from a lot of competitions and it's capacity.

tenpenny_05
03-12-2018, 08:23 AM
I think a kamado style cooker would suit A LOT of the casual backyard cookers such as myself. I was 100% weber guy for a long long time. Kettles, gassers, WSM I've had almost everything weber has made at one point or another, including a ranch kettle I had for a week.
The kamado checks all the boxes of things you want in a cooker, plus they are freaking cool. Nobody cares to look at just another weber kettle, but a kamado/egg will create a crowd. That might seem superficial, but it adds a little excitement to the hobby.
I cook 4x more on my kamado than I ever did on my webers, there is no chore lighting charcoal and cleaning ash up and it makes great food every single time.
Just my 25 cents (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

JVM59
03-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Most of my cooks are just for my wife and I, so the LGE Egg works perfect.
Cooked a pizza for dinner Fri. night, wings on Sat., and steaks yesterday.
That being said, if I need more capacity for a larger group, I have the LSG Mini.
Best of both worlds!

Free Mr. Tony
03-12-2018, 08:38 AM
They obviously are good at distributing their product. It's a good product. I like mine. Most others that have them though that I know aren't really hard core BBQ guys like the people on this site. They may grill on the weekends, and do a smoke a few times a summer.

Most of us here move on the other things for various reasons. Size, mobility, something new, etc.

Springram
03-12-2018, 08:49 AM
I have had my LBGE for about 8 years now. I use it to grill meats (wonderful for spatchcock chicken) and pizzas. Used it as a smoker for a long time but then got my LSG vertical offset. Personally, when smoking, I prefer the flavor of the stick burner vs the charcoal/wood chuck combination.

Great product and certainly a very useful part of my outdoor arsenal.

BillATL
03-12-2018, 09:30 AM
The BGE guys have done a great job of marketing - and they have a good product besides. But whenever it comes up that I cook a lot of BBQ/Smoked food the first thing people who aren't hard core BBQers say next is - you must have a BGE. They look confused when I say I have another brand ceramic cooker and a bigger insulated vertical :-)

Ceramics really are very versatile and the learning curve to run them well - even for long cooks - is relatively small. I think people starting getting good food off of them and compared it to food cooked on some other cooker where the owner didn't know how to run it and a star was born. For instance, a neighbor brought some chicken to a party that he'd cooked on a borrowed Lang. It was coated in creosote that left my hands black - comparing that to some chicken off the BGE and the BGE seems like magic :-)

cjs27410
03-12-2018, 09:57 AM
I started out with a UDS in 2013. Purchased a Primo Oval 2015. I like to cook butts and ribs 6 or 7 times a year. UDS has better smoke flavor. Primo holds temps way better than the drum. Cooks limited to 3 butts, because of space. Primo very easy to use and produces great product from the start.
A stick burner is on my watch list. A Shirley was for sale in my area a few months ago but it was 60" - that's too large for me. A 48" cabinet model on trailer would be a great addition.

jermoQ
03-12-2018, 10:02 AM
As already stated, they have good marketing and promotion. The varied sizes suit many people. The comps that are brand specific give out the used cookers at a discounted price. I know a few owners of them. One owners hated his and prefered his electric smoker over the egg for smoking. One doesn't use it for anything but grilling. One uses it for everything but recommends other brands as better quality. Other than the price, komado cookers are very nice. I would consider buying one if I had $$$ and was looking to upgrade my grill.

WeberWho
03-12-2018, 10:13 AM
I love my eggs. My wife and I bought our house 7 years ago and I've never once used our kitchen oven. I don't even know how to turn it on. I can get the BGE fired up to temp faster than I can my oven. The egg can be used for everything from a cake to a smaller whole pig. It's super versatile. The main reason why I bought my first BGE is the lifetime warranty on the ceramics. The BGE is expensive upfront but I could potentially have a grill for the next 60 years with minimum expense. So it's really not that bad in the hindsight. I believe it's one of the best overall grills in the market.

Czarbecue
03-12-2018, 10:27 AM
When I was in college I worked next to a BBQ store and often wander over there when it was slow. Making only $10/hr at the time (pretty good for college back in 2000) I could never imagine spending that much money on a small grill. I mean, I had a Chargriller Outlaw offset that I was kicking ass in (but not really) and I got that for $200!

Fast forward 18 years and I can afford it now. But I'm still a grill real estate whore and find I cannot put that much money on such small real estate. Also to mention I am a purist of sorts and won't eat smoked cup cakes.

PnkPanther
03-12-2018, 10:31 AM
I love my eggs. My wife and I bought our house 7 years ago and I've never once used our kitchen oven. I don't even know how to turn it on. I can get the BGE fired up to temp faster than I can my oven. The egg can be used for everything from a cake to a smaller whole pig. It's super versatile. The main reason why I bought my first BGE is the lifetime warranty on the ceramics. The BGE is expensive upfront but I could potentially have a grill for the next 60 years with minimum expense. So it's really not that bad in the hindsight. I believe it's one of the best overall grills in the market.

You turn the dial to desired temp. If your front panel is digital, press bake and set to temp :-D

frognot
03-12-2018, 10:37 AM
I bought a NB Bandera in 2004 and found this group the same day (it was called Bandera Brethren then). My Bandera was my introduction to smokers and it was fun to learn on. Despite some mods it was a fuel hog and hard to regulate consistent temps with constant babysitting.

In 2006 after I got a WSM since my cooks had became smaller and it was portable. Learned even more about fire control and it freed up a lotta time once I figured out how
to "dial it in". Couple of years later received a OTG for Father's Day so now was a Weber convert and the Bandera was only used for less frequent big cooks.

However kept seeing pics and hearing about cooking on BGEs from members here, especially Dr. BBQ and Rick's Tropical Delight, and it hit my wish list. My wife got tired of hearing about this after two years and found a really good deal on a large BGE and it became the best birthday/Christmas gift ever. This was 2010.

I LOVE my Egg. I was at the point of grilling more than smoking and my outdoor cooking again increased in frequency. Also being old, lazy and attention span challenged it's the perfect outdoor cooker for me and my family at this stage in life. However love to go to bashes and see all y'all cool smokers (really looking forward to seeing Hotch's new Shirley at the Texas Bash in a couple of weeks).

Guarantee that if you hang out here long enough you'll be eyeballing (and possibly purchasing or even building) your next smoker. Hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have.

WeberWho
03-12-2018, 11:08 AM
You turn the dial to desired temp. If your front panel is digital, press bake and set to temp :-D

My wife asked me the other night to shut the oven off after she took something out. I had to ask her if I did it right. I'll take the egg everytime! :-D

jimdgreat1
03-12-2018, 11:08 AM
Only have one because it was mislabeled and cheap on letgo. Not sure I like it yet. Use to an offset stick burner.

https://i.imgur.com/1zgYavf.png

Hankdad1
03-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Not a BGE but an Akorn. Got it cheap about 8 years ago and love it. Mainly I just cook for the wife and I. Due to the design I can use it on our composite deck right outside the kitchen without fear of a fire, still keep an extinguisher handy. As others have stated it does ever.y thing I ask of it. Been a Weber guy all my life, still have the 18" kettle my father handed down to me in my teens.

bschoen
03-12-2018, 11:36 AM
A long time ago when I was a boy my grandparents gave our family a Casa-Q (or Casa-Que, or something like that) . It was a ceramic cooker identical to the Kamoda's and BGEs of today.. This was in the mid 1960s. Anyone remember those?

WeberWho
03-12-2018, 11:56 AM
A long time ago when I was a boy my grandparents gave our family a Casa-Q (or Casa-Que, or something like that) . It was a ceramic cooker identical to the Kamoda's and BGEs of today.. This was in the mid 1960s. Anyone remember those?

Lots of vets brought back old clay cookers in the
60's from Japan. You can find them for sale every once awhile on Craigslist. Being clay they crack much easier over ceramic. You don't want to go much over 350 degrees with them.

BBQchef33
03-12-2018, 12:34 PM
I have 3 Green Eggs(mini, and 2 XL's) and I've never used them for extended cooks or smoking. Iuse them for grilling steaks and chicken, as a pizza oven, baking bread, calzones,.. just about everything but smoking or BBQ. I have a BYC, Spicewine, Shirley,and FEC to do all of that stuff. This is not to say i would ever give up my eggs. After a year of having athem, all my weber kettles got sidelined except the smokey joe. That one still lives in the back of the truck for quick tailgates.

dgaddis1
03-12-2018, 12:50 PM
I've got a Large BGE that came with the house we live in now, the stand was built into the deck, so they included it with the house.

The firebox was cracked when we got it. I used it for about a year and then replaced it, because it was crumbling. When taking it out the fire ring cracked into two pieces too.

Fast forward a few more months, the hinge went out of adjustment, and while spinning the Egg around so I could get to the bolts I discovered that the base was cracked, started about halfway down on one side, went across the bottom, and about half way up the other side. Don't know how long that crack had been there.

Since I'm not the original owner, no warranty. The cost of a new base was so high I'd rather have just bought an all-new cooker complete with a warranty.

Instead, I bought a 22" kettle, an 18" WSM, and a rotisserie kit for the kettle. The Large BGE has 254sq.in of cooking space, the Webers have a combined 888sq.in. Plus the rotisserie kit. I took the things I learned with the Egg and it all transfers to the Weber stuff, anything I could do on the Egg I can do just as well on one of the Webers. No worries about ceramics cracking either.

I liked the Egg, and if you really only have space for one cooker, not a terrible way to go. But if cost is more of a concern than space, two Webers is the smarter buy IMO. If lived in the land of real winters I'd appreciate the Egg more I'm sure.

Broken ceramics.

https://i.imgur.com/zdvBg0oh.jpg

Out-of-adjustment hinge/lid bands.

https://i.imgur.com/nSsGiKFh.jpg

EDIT to add - oh yeah, almost burned the house down one time with the Egg too. Not the grills fault. The previous owners had the Egg sitting in a wooden stand built into the wood deck attached to the wooden house. The Egg sits on 3 ceramic feet on top of a wooden box. One night while cooking some chicken I came outside to check on it, and there was a *lot* of smoke, and I realized it was coming from beneath the cooker - the wooden box below the Egg was smoldering!!! No flames yet, but it was headed that way. I bought a paving stone to put below the Egg (which still sits on the ceramic feet above the stone) and no more worries with fire.

ncmoose
03-12-2018, 12:57 PM
The BGE is great. It's served me well for years. I'm probably a month from picking up my Shirley and I can still see using the egg occasionally.

EdF
03-12-2018, 03:38 PM
I've had a large BGE since 2002. It has served us well for all kinds of cooks. Didn't get an additional cooker until 2014 when we were doing a kitchen rehab and wanted something quick around - a small gasser. Got a stick-burner start of last year. All are good and have their purposes and circumstances for best use.

If you have any kind of kamado and are unhappy with the smoke, get a small (2 quart) cast iron pot with a lid, drill 3 1/8" holes in the bottom. Nestle it into your coal bed, and fill it with your wood chunks pellets or chips, put on the lid.

The smoke will get drawn down through your fire, cleaning it up towards "clear & blue". Mission accomplished!

JokerBroker
03-12-2018, 04:34 PM
I love my large BGE. It does many things well. About the only thing I can't do with it is maintain temperatures below 250. I prefer to smoke meats at 275 anyway in the interest of time so it isn't a factor but even with my upper and lower vents almost shut, I can't keep the temps low with lump charcoal (and maintain clear blue smoke). As others have said, size can be another one of its limitations if you cook large meals. It will easily achieve 700 F or more if you have the egg clear of leftover ash from previous cooks.

EdF
03-13-2018, 12:58 PM
I love my large BGE. It does many things well. About the only thing I can't do with it is maintain temperatures below 250. I prefer to smoke meats at 275 anyway in the interest of time so it isn't a factor but even with my upper and lower vents almost shut, I can't keep the temps low with lump charcoal (and maintain clear blue smoke). As others have said, size can be another one of its limitations if you cook large meals. It will easily achieve 700 F or more if you have the egg clear of leftover ash from previous cooks.

And those little grid extenders do a great job adding capacity. eg https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JF60DI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dgaddis1
03-13-2018, 01:12 PM
I love my large BGE. It does many things well. About the only thing I can't do with it is maintain temperatures below 250.

I had this issue too, and I think the reason is the way the intake vent is made. That tall slider, making tiny adjustments in the door (moving it 1/16") means you're adding an additional 1/16" x 3" opening for air to get through. If you're shooting for 225*F, that bottom vent needs to be nearly closed - I mean, if you've never used a kamado you don't understand just how *barely* open that vent needs to be. The issue is, with it open that tiny amount, if you nudge the door open "just a tiny bit more" you might be doubling how 'open' it is.

What would be nice is if a portion of that vent had a shorter opening so you could more easily fine-tune in the low temp range.