PDA

View Full Version : Want a Shirley Fabrication or other high end pit?

Lobsterbake
03-11-2018, 08:00 PM
The price of Smokers will be going up. Deep South said their steel prices have gone up 25-30% and this is going to cause their pit prices to go up $500 - $800. So if you are on the fence for a pit you might want to get your deposit in or deal done soon!

Mode Note:

Political content removed

Please keep political comments in the News & Politics forum, not in QTalk.

pjtexas1
03-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Is it really fair to expect a builder to stick to numbers they gave you before they purchased the steel at these new prices? I'd be willing to meet them halfway... It's not like they know how much steel is going to cost in a year. I'm assuming this price jump is unexpected by builders and customers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Westx
03-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Shirley prices are expected to increase by about 5% on March 15th.

Lobsterbake
03-11-2018, 08:44 PM
5% is very reasonable. Tyler is very fair in all dealings.

BBQ Freak
03-11-2018, 08:49 PM
everything for Shirley Fabrication is explainded in the video we did this weekend about prices .

Joe Black
03-11-2018, 09:01 PM
I have been in the construction business for many years and steel increases have always been a large part of our pricing. Most manufacturers try to project as much as we can. However, there are many variables that jump up really quick.

A number of years ago, when the Chinese had the steel market in a real flux, prices were almost impossible to forecast.

I really hope that our current administration can keep prices in line.

Av8er
03-11-2018, 09:06 PM
Is there a link to the video anywhere? I don’t do Facebook but would like to see it.

tcv21
03-11-2018, 09:07 PM
The Shirley prices are going up but its only partly due to the cost of steel. These price increases have been in the works prior to the latest dealings in the political arena. Paul and Tyler work together on setting the prices and absorbed the last price increase in materials without passing it along to their customers. On average the cost of a cooker will go up 5%. The options list (both the 24 and 30 inch) will be available after the 15th. Those prices may or may not be more than 5% depending on the specific option. The guys are working to tighten it up and will provide me the updated sheets around the 15th and I will be happy to distribute to those that want one.

Springram
03-11-2018, 09:08 PM
So... Deep South has decided to raise their prices in the in the amounts you stated because of an announcement of a projected 25% increase of steel prices. The tarrif announcement was just at the end of last week and yet to be implemented and still no definite idea as to which countries are exempt other than Canada and Mexico.

Wow. They must have a great crystal ball and one that is better than everyone else.

tcv21
03-11-2018, 09:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZPT7SMMmVE&t=16s

Is there a link to the video anywhere? I donít do Facebook but would like to see it.

Lobsterbake
03-11-2018, 09:12 PM
DS said prices went up on steel - was before tariff is my understanding. Tariff will only impact prices for the worse.

Lobsterbake
03-11-2018, 09:22 PM
MisterChrister - I am a Republican and draw the line at sheer incompetence, but enough about politics. Since this is a BBQ forum I wanted to point out that if someone was on the fence about getting a cooker that steel prices are going up for unnecessary reasons and they might not want to wait as it will cost them more. Don’t get all worked up about trying to save others $$$.

MisterChrister
03-11-2018, 09:27 PM
MisterChrister - I am a Republican and draw the line at sheer incompetence, but enough about politics. Since this is a BBQ forum I wanted to point out that if someone was on the fence about getting a cooker that steel prices are going up for unnecessary reasons and they might not want to wait as it will cost them more. Don’t get all worked up about trying to save others $$$.

"Sheer incompetence.....unnecessary reasons....." I thought this was Q-Talk, not N&P. I'm not all worked up, but maybe the average American steelworker or ore miner has been worked up over the last several decades.

FWIW, I had actually tried to delete my previous rant for the sake of decorum, but it got scrubbed already.

Lobsterbake
03-11-2018, 09:31 PM
It is all good. Let’s move on and happy smoking ��

Ron_L
03-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Mod Note:

Take the politic discussion to News and Politics.

Rockinar
03-12-2018, 02:13 AM
The price of Smokers will be going up. Deep South said their steel prices have gone up 25-30% and this is going to cause their pit prices to go up $500 - $800. So if you are on the fence for a pit you might want to get your deposit in or deal done soon!

Remind me to never buy a Deep South. Steel did not go up 30%.

TuscaloosaQ
03-12-2018, 03:56 AM
Me and Tyler’s trailer parts went up twice last year and me absorbed the cost.... 2 weeks ago our plate steel went up 25% essentially 10 cents a pound....... all we will be doing is trying to even the playing field on that increase.... so we decided on a 5 percent increase on our units.... some options will go up... some of the options we were just not making anything off of..... or at least not enough to justive them..... we always try and be as fair as possible..... we are just working folks like every one else..... I work in a refinery .... you can bet your backside fuel
Is fixing to go up also

OEF5
03-12-2018, 06:24 AM
As Lobsterbake has stated, if you are thinking of getting one, and not on any list, depending on who you want to go with and a deposit or whatnot, now is the time to do it.

Lobsterbake
03-12-2018, 08:38 AM
All pit makers have had steel prices go up on the open market - not just DS or Shirley. Deep South makes an awesome awesome pit - my favorite to use by far as truly set and forget with amazing flavor.

bschoen
03-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Is the spike in steel price because of the tariffs just imposed or just because?

BillN
03-12-2018, 12:38 PM
A couple of years ago when I got my LSG I emailed Chris regarding any upcoming price increases. Chris was forthcoming and advised there was a price increase in the works. I placed my order and sure enough a week later the prices went up. I appreciate Chris telling me about the price increase and I save hundreds of dollars. However with that said I would have placed my order post price increase. Unfortunately price increases are part of life and have been as long as I can remember.