PDA

View Full Version : B+B charcoal?

gcs
03-11-2018, 09:00 AM
I see walmart by me is now selling B+B lump charcoal, a Texas company, alongside the Royal Oak, couldn't find a price on it yet.
Anyone use it? and how'd it compare to other lumps? Thanks

mrboy
03-11-2018, 10:28 AM
I haven't tried B+B, but check out this link, they compare most of the charcoal out there.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Rib Rub
03-11-2018, 10:39 AM
I use the pellets. They are $9 bucks. I had heard they are made from Barbecuers Delight??

el luchador
03-11-2018, 11:09 AM
I like b+b . I use the hickory lump exclusively.

chingador
03-11-2018, 11:53 AM
I like it too. At times you can get a bag that is over handled and busted up but it is good. I am using the lump oak today

gtr
03-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Love B&B. Can't get it here anymore and wish I could.

angryelfFan
03-11-2018, 12:54 PM
I bought a bag and thought it was just OK. Didn't light easy and left quite a bit of ash. I will stick with Wicked Good.

Battleborn
03-11-2018, 02:11 PM
I haven't seen it in Walmart but Ace Hardware just started carrying it here. I just started using it but very happy so far.

effinUker
03-11-2018, 03:00 PM
I've used the mesquite a couple times. I liked it.

ronbrad62
03-11-2018, 03:58 PM
I liked the B&B hickory lump. I don't have an in-depth opinion as others, but it worked well for me.

Moose
03-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Love B&B. Can't get it here anymore and wish I could.

A few years back, Walmart was selling the B&B lump. Best charcoal I've ever used, but they stopped carrying it shortly thereafter, and haven't seen it since. Major bummer...

DUBBAGA
03-11-2018, 04:27 PM
A few years back, Walmart was selling the B&B lump. Best charcoal I've ever used, but they stopped carrying it shortly thereafter, and haven't seen it since. Major bummer...

Walmart is again carrying lump. CA is only selling their mesquite. Other states get Oak or Hickory. I believe Ace Hardware in CA will be selling Oak lump

Moose
03-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Walmart is again carrying lump. CA is only selling their mesquite. Other states get Oak or Hickory. I believe Ace Hardware in CA will be selling Oak lump

If Ace Hardware starts selling Oak lump, I'd be all over it. How did you hear about this?

Evil-g
03-11-2018, 05:11 PM
I saw B&B Charcoal at Walmart the other day, guess I’ll try a bag. The naked whiz site recommends it.

dufftj
03-11-2018, 05:21 PM
I've only used their mesquite lump when it showed up at Menards.
Great stuff for sure!

wihint
03-11-2018, 06:07 PM
$12.09 a bag for a 20lb bag of Oak here in the Phoenix AZ area.

BBQ Freak
03-11-2018, 11:37 PM
B&B Hickory Lump is the only charcoal i use and is high quality and no rocks yet , lol .

BeardedBassGuy
03-12-2018, 05:25 AM
I just finished a bag of Oak Lump yesterday. Had zero complaints with it. Will buy again.

SmoothBoarBBQ
03-28-2018, 11:04 AM
I saw this B & B Hickory Lump at Wal-Mart today and decided to give it a try. 20Lb bag for ~$13 so pretty much on par with what I pay for Royal Oak Lump. I started a chimney like I always do and ~45 minutes later it was still not really ashing over / on fire. It was crackling but just not much heat. So I gave it a good push with some more crumpled paper and about 30 minutes and still just really low heat and it was barely starting to ash / get hot.

So I tried another way... took some hot coals from my firebox (smoking a pork shoulder) and put them in a charcoal pan and covered those coals with the lump. Almost an hour later and same issue with almost no heat but the charcoal is "whitening over." The charcoal tray is in my grill but I've left the lid open all the way and the bottom vent full open as well. Tons of air getting to the coals but this stuff just burns so slow.

The charcoal makes that "tinging" noise like it should but I have no idea why this stuff won't burn or get hot. I'm trying to season a cast iron pan and wanted to put the pan on the coals for a few hours but it's just not doing anything. The charcoal seems quite dry but I'm wondering if there's still some internal moisture. I've never had this issue with Royal Oak... 15-20 minutes the coals are roaring hot and ready to go.

JS-TX
03-28-2018, 11:37 AM
You must have a bad bag, for me a chimney of any B&B lump gets going within 15-20 min. I use tumbleweeds or weber starter cubes.

SmoothBoarBBQ
03-28-2018, 12:03 PM
You must have a bad bag, for me a chimney of any B&B lump gets going within 15-20 min. I use tumbleweeds or weber starter cubes.

I mean, I did get it from Wal-Mart. haha The bag itself was in good shape, no holes, certainly wasn't exposed to rain or anything like that. Any idea what would compromise a bag of charcoal outside of moisture?

I'll keep on working with it but it's the most stubborn charcoal I've come across. I've seen people talking about B&B almost like it's a premium charcoal so I was pretty enthusiastic about it when I saw it on the shelf.

Edit: for stating I just used a normal Weber chimney with some crumpled newspaper...always worked with every other brand of charcoal, even the no-name bags which just say "charcoal." haha

Hookin_Bull
03-28-2018, 12:47 PM
I’be used B&B OAK lump for a few years now. It burns hotter and slower than the RO I previously used. I have never had a bad bag. Be sure and get the OAK lump and not the “select hardwoods” grade. They are in the same color bag so read carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JS-TX
03-28-2018, 01:04 PM
I mean, I did get it from Wal-Mart. haha The bag itself was in good shape, no holes, certainly wasn't exposed to rain or anything like that. Any idea what would compromise a bag of charcoal outside of moisture?

I'll keep on working with it but it's the most stubborn charcoal I've come across. I've seen people talking about B&B almost like it's a premium charcoal so I was pretty enthusiastic about it when I saw it on the shelf.

Edit: for stating I just used a normal Weber chimney with some crumpled newspaper...always worked with every other brand of charcoal, even the no-name bags which just say "charcoal." haha

It's hard to say, but definitely not the norm for a lot of people. Maybe it got wet before they bagged it? I've used their hickory a few times but mostly their oak lump.

Dixie Chicken
03-29-2018, 10:21 AM
I purchased a 20# bag of the B & B Oak yesterday @ Wally World, twelve bucks and change, tax, tag, title and dealer prep.

sarth67
03-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Did a smoke with B&B hickory lump this week it seemed to last longer than the Royal oak I am used to, the lumps were bigger A cook that normally would have had me opening a second bag I still have a little left using B&B

angryelfFan
03-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Maybe I had a bad bag also. This stuff sparked and crackled like crazy when lighting. Did not burn will in my Humphreys or WSM.

kathicooks
03-29-2018, 06:20 PM
I have used it. Ace carries it here. Good quality, nice size chunks. Lights well. Give it a shot. I’ll have to see if it is at Maryland Walmarts.

DUBBAGA
03-29-2018, 06:43 PM
If Ace Hardware starts selling Oak lump, I'd be all over it. How did you hear about this?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=148233146&cp=2568443.2568445.2598559.1304000.1260206

BBQ Freak
03-29-2018, 07:58 PM
i always start with three paper towels and a little vegitable oil on them and it will light right up and is ready in less than ten minutes , maybe the paper does not last long enough to light it .

Hoss
03-29-2018, 08:08 PM
I have been using the B&B Hickory lump from my local Walmart for a couple months now.I like it.Still hoarding my 24 bags of Ozark Oak for the future.:wink:

mrboy
03-29-2018, 09:36 PM
I bought two bags at Wallyworld today. $12.88 for a 20# bag!

benniesdad
03-29-2018, 10:43 PM
My local Ace has been carrying their Oak lump. I have had pretty good results with it for general use but I have gone back to Wicked Good or Kamado Joe for my long cook because the pieces were not as large in the B&B resulting in less burn time. That said, I prefer it’s smaller pieces for use in my KJ Jr.