PDA

View Full Version : Best mount position on WSM for Unknown hinge

TechDiver
03-10-2018, 06:46 PM
I just purchased the stainless hinge by Unknown bbq. The smoker will be near a brick wall, so that got me thinking about how I want to mount the hinge. I am thinking it should be mounted on the left since I am right handed. I haven't received my 22.5" WSM yet, so I just wanted to see if that sounded about right. I will be excited when it gets here, and I will probably install the hinge before using it.

V-22 Osprey
03-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Being right handed, having to hinge to one side I would mount it to the left side too. I just cooked on my new Jumbo Joe tonight. Thinking back, every time I opened the lid it was with my left had, tongs or Thermapen in the right.

Hoss
03-10-2018, 08:32 PM
I am right handed but always open the lid with my left hand.I would want the dome to pivot/open to the left side of the cooker.The reason being,I would not want the opened dome impeding the area on my right hand side.

TechDiver
03-10-2018, 08:42 PM
That was my thinking, but I just needed confirmation. If I made it hinge to the back, it would need to be moved out a bit from the brick wall.

One Drop
03-11-2018, 03:47 AM
I would always want it opening backwards. The whole idea of having a hinge is to free your hands, if you need to use both it's very awkward to have to reach over the grate with one if the lid open to one side.

For removing or swapping grates, moving big cuts of meat, etc, a side mount would be very clumsy, IMO. If you don't have enough room behind the cooker to one the lid backwards you are too close to the house, IMO.

TechDiver
03-11-2018, 10:18 AM
I would always want it opening backwards. The whole idea of having a hinge is to free your hands, if you need to use both it's very awkward to have to reach over the grate with one if the lid open to one side.

For removing or swapping grates, moving big cuts of meat, etc, a side mount would be very clumsy, IMO. If you don't have enough room behind the cooker to one the lid backwards you are too close to the house, IMO.

You got me thinking now. I could always store it close to the house on the deck and move it out when in use.

bschoen
03-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Aren't those things round?

Corvus
03-11-2018, 10:58 AM
As a lefty, I experimented with mounting it on the back but settled on the right side.......which reminds me, I'm wondering about mounting one on my 22" Performer............I'll start another thread

TechDiver
03-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Aren't those things round?

Yes, but you want the access door facing you.

Battleborn
03-11-2018, 02:22 PM
I put mine on the left side too. I didn't want to reach behind the lid to open and shut it. I don't feel like the lid is in the way when open to the side.