PDA

View Full Version : Late start.....

TyJones
03-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Got a late start today which will cause a late night. Not to worry, the beer fridge is stocked and wood is ready for the burn.......

That's the second chuck I'm cooking and the first on the stick burner, so we'll see how it finishes.

BTW, that is my first fatty. Already pulled it and I have to say you boys might have something with that.

ShadowDriver
03-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Looks like a good day.

Yes... there's definitely something to be said about a good fatty.

What's your plan with chuckie?

TyJones
03-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Looks like a good day.

Yes... there's definitely something to be said about a good fatty.

What's your plan with chuckie?

It, and some of the pork, are for a Bday dinner next week end. Last one we pulled and had on sour dough hoagie rolls with grilled peppers/onions and cheese, kind of philly cheese steak style. Probably do the same with this one. I read that chuck is the poor mans brisket and with brisket at $8 lb right now, I'm a poor man. To be honest, I really like it and the cost combine with the fact that I don't stress about the cook because "it's just a chuck roast, not a brisket or a prime" makes it alot more fun.

ShadowDriver
03-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Love it, Brother T.

As an unsolicited suggestion - I'd be remiss if I didn't offer up this suggestion from SteveKing... Barbacoa. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3454913&postcount=6) I've made this several times now, and it's been a huge hit.... works well if you vac-seal, freeze, and reheat later, too!

Anywho... just another suggestion for your next Chuckie Adventure. Cheers!

3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped (or more to taste)
1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
2 teaspoons salt (plus additional to season roast)
1 teaspoon black pepper (plus additional to season roast)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup beef broth or water

Heavily season chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on smoker at 225 until an internal temp of 165 is reached

While roast is cooking, mix the other ingredients together in a 13x9 or similar aluminum or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165º, place into pan directly on top of other ingredient mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook in smoker or oven at 350º for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly. If more liquid is needed to give the meat a good coating, add 1/2 to 1 cup of hot water. Place back into oven and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes until most all liquid has cooked into the meat.

TyJones
03-10-2018, 05:59 PM
Ok well I should have posted and asked for advice......that sounds awesome and I will be trying it on the next cook. Thanks a ton:-D

ssv3
03-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Pretty much the story of my life. Guests scheduled for 6pm and I fire up the stick burner at 12pm. :becky: I make it work though.

Looking great!!

Smoke on Badger Mountain
03-10-2018, 08:38 PM
Some good eats right there.

GrassRun
03-10-2018, 09:13 PM
A word of caution. Fatties are addictive. You’ve been warned.......enjoy!

TyJones
03-10-2018, 10:57 PM

Too late!

bschoen
03-11-2018, 09:15 AM

Did my first one a couple of weeks ago. Pork heroin.

Big George's BBQ
03-11-2018, 09:20 AM
You are going to have a nice day Love those naked fattys

Rib Rub
03-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Day light savings screwing things up. Luckily I got everything prepped yesterday. All I had to do was fire the grill up. Spent an hour cleaning the grill. Broke out the shop vac and gave a proper cleaning. Usually I am late getting things rolling.