PDA

View Full Version : Picking Up My New Shirley Fabrication Snoker

BBQ Freak
03-10-2018, 02:34 PM
spent last night eating dinner with the Shirley family eating steaks and shrimp and had a killer time with the family . Got to meet the the helpers that they are training and got to see my new cooker that i am picking up and she is purty . there will be a video toight on you tube that Paul did of mine and Jeff Condons cooker and these two stlye cookers will be for sale on his website soon to but will be base models but some of the options will be extra . here is some pcs i took at the shop and will be taking her home tomorrow morning .

lantern
03-10-2018, 02:42 PM
That has EVERY single thing I've wanted on a Shirley smoker. Congrats!!!!

Rockinar
03-10-2018, 03:15 PM
"Welds slicker dan grease, dat I guarantee-ya".

TyJones
03-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Wow that is an awesome looking rig. Every time is see one of their products I'm impressed. The attention to detail and the "above and beyond" is mind blowing. Little things like the table and the wood basket having an angle instead of a hard/sharp corner to run into. Or the angle on the top of the chambers just makes it pop. Congratulations brother! I know I, and I'm sure all the brethren, can't wait to see it in use.

Ag76
03-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Very, very nice. Looks like Paul's (PJTexas).

-Chris-
03-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Outstanding, I love the little details like the chamfers on the top edges. Is that upper box a warming box?

Chris

Walshman
03-10-2018, 03:51 PM
Awesome cooker! Mine will be very similar. Is this a 24X50? What options did you buy? Thanks!

pjtexas1
03-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Very nice. Those hip roofs are starting to grow on me. I also like that you stopped the front shelf at the cook chamber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ronbrad62
03-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Very nice cooker. It is calling for a burn-in. Let's see some action shots!!

Av8er
03-10-2018, 05:31 PM
That’s beautiful right there!! Can’t wait to get mine.

BBQ Freak
03-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Outstanding, I love the little details like the chamfers on the top edges. Is that upper box a warming box?

Chris

yes it is a warmer or you can use it to cook in at a different temp or grill in too

Awesome cooker! Mine will be very similar. Is this a 24X50? What options did you buy? Thanks!

I will post them when i get home because I have them saved on my home computer

Very nice. Those hip roofs are starting to grow on me. I also like that you stopped the front shelf at the cook chamber.

The look of them has just grown on me and love them now

Very nice cooker. It is calling for a burn-in. Let's see some action shots!!

I am still in Alabama and soon as i get home there will videos and more pics to come .

electron_si
03-10-2018, 08:03 PM
That is a killer rig. Shirley knows how to build a cooker. I’m really liking the lower front shelf and pop up shelf on the warmer

BBQ Freak
03-10-2018, 08:10 PM
That is a killer rig. Shirley knows how to build a cooker. Iím really liking the lower front shelf and pop up shelf on the warmer

if you want to add a shelf they can make one and you just bolt it on .

GrassRun
03-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Very nice! Safe travels back home. Looking forward to seeing more about the new cooker.

BBQ Freak
03-10-2018, 09:34 PM
here is a video of Paul Shirley on my smoker and the other Jeff , lol .
https://youtu.be/nnd3Q_uB2G4

Blythewood BBQ'er
03-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Nice rig man! Love those black rims on it.

One Drop
03-11-2018, 03:07 AM
Really digging the main chamber hip roof on this size cooker. What a beauty.

I think making a more basic version of this as a standard model is a no-brainer.

Stablergetz
03-11-2018, 04:36 AM
Awesome looking cooker, the videos were great also.

Big George's BBQ
03-11-2018, 08:53 AM
Very Nice Congrats and enjoy

BBQ Freak
03-11-2018, 09:16 AM
here is the video Paul did .

https://youtu.be/nnd3Q_uB2G4

LloydQ
03-11-2018, 03:59 PM
That is a fine looking rig! Congrats!

Springram
03-11-2018, 05:13 PM
Very happy for you regarding your new cooker Always love your posts. You are a true BBQ pit master. I look forward to pics, etc of the cooks on this great new cooker.

OEF5
03-11-2018, 07:27 PM
That is one fine looking cooker. The 24x50 really has a large amount of cooking space in the elevated straight back. Those temp dials just so work and I’m going to get the same size on mine. Truly an impressive cooking machine and having seen some of your cook videos you are going to knock it out of the park. Just a bad looking cooker.

Congratulations on one fine cooker

BBQ Freak
03-11-2018, 07:36 PM
That is one fine looking cooker. The 24x50 really has a large amount of cooking space in the elevated straight back. Those temp dials just so work and Iím going to get the same size on mine. Truly an impressive cooking machine and having seen some of your cook videos you are going to knock it out of the park. Just a bad looking cooker.

Congratulations on one fine cooker

Great meeting you Mark , lol . thanks for running the video camera buddy.

Stingerhook
03-11-2018, 07:52 PM
One fine looking cooker Jeff.

CptKaos
03-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Awesome cooker, congrats

Larry

sudsandswine
03-11-2018, 08:01 PM
She's a beaut, digging those wheels.

SoCalWJS
03-11-2018, 08:21 PM
Very nice rig! Looks like the basic setup I would want. Enjoy!

Waitwaitwaitwait a minute

Did you say "Additional Workers" they are training? Will this lead to a shorter waiting list?

:becky:

pjtexas1
03-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Very nice rig! Looks like the basic setup I would want. Enjoy!

Waitwaitwaitwait a minute

Did you say "Additional Workers" they are training? Will this lead to a shorter waiting list?

:becky:

If they pass the test. People don't buy Shirleys because they put them out quickly. Quicker would be nice if it still has that Shirley quality.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
03-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Beautiful!

Shagdog
03-12-2018, 07:52 AM
great looking pit, Jeff!

SmokinRS1
03-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Jeff have you got her home and seasoned it yet.

Big N Hot
03-12-2018, 12:30 PM
That would be my build! I love the hip roof all the way around.

OEF5
03-12-2018, 02:45 PM
That would be my build! I love the hip roof all the way around.

I do like it on that cooker, but I'd do the elevated warmer. The Video for Dave B. has the elevated warmer and main and warmer have the hip roof, but Dave's is a longer cooker and doesn't have the same look as this size.

But then these Farkers are trying to talk me into upgrading to a 30x120 dual axle monster rig.

The wheels on this thing look amazing too.

Everything about this smoker is just awesome.

BBQ Freak
03-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Jeff have you got her home and seasoned it yet.

just got home late this afternoon since I stayed a extra day in Alabama and will be season it tomorrow .

JS-TX
03-12-2018, 10:43 PM
sweet lookin' cooker, congrats Jeff!!:thumb:

LordRiffenstein
03-13-2018, 07:29 AM
Wow wow wow, if I were to order one, I think it would be exactly this. That is one truly amazing cooker, congratulations!!

fwdiii
03-13-2018, 08:25 AM
WOW....that is one very sweet rig!! Congratulations!!!!!

OEF5
03-13-2018, 08:37 AM
Here are some of the "professional" Photos of Jeff's cooker that my wife took. These were taken before Jeff got there, so no dials on them!

OEF5
03-13-2018, 08:41 AM
I also just noticed the that you can really see what the hip roof on the warmer looks like in the last pic. It really shows you that extra space.

BBQ Freak
03-13-2018, 12:17 PM
sorry Matt that my "Amateur" phots were not good enough of my own cooker . :roll:

BBQ_MAFIA
03-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Congrats

OEF5
03-13-2018, 12:40 PM
sorry Matt that my "Amateur" phots were not good enough of my own cooker . :roll:

HAHAHA I wanted you to have the ones we go too. You didn't send me your email earlier, too busy lighting up Rita to season her.

Besides, every pic of this smoker is farkin legit even if you use a disposable Photo Hut camera, it's that purdy!

sthamm
03-13-2018, 05:11 PM
When I eventually decide to sell my LSG and trade up, I'll be sure to refer to this build and essentially copy it. :thumb::clap:

ChrisC74
03-13-2018, 06:31 PM
That cooker looks terrific. Can you please post the make and model for the thermometers?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pug-N-Monk's BBQ
03-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Jeff,
I drool everytime I see your cooker. I recently put down a deposit and will have a long 25-26 month wait. I too will be getting a 50" elevated with a lot of add-ons. Best wishes on your new toy and keep it smokin!

BBQ Freak
03-14-2018, 02:16 PM
That cooker looks terrific. Can you please post the make and model for the thermometers?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tel Tru BBQ Smoker / Grill thermometer
BBQ500-GL
5" Dial, 4" Stem

but can also get them in different stem length and bought mine at the KCK BBQ Store

BBQ Freak
03-15-2018, 11:35 AM
here is a video I did yesterday .

https://youtu.be/OuCjNy8C2ns

pjtexas1
03-15-2018, 08:25 PM
I like the new ash pans. I think I was the first to ask for one. Mine doesn't go to the edges of the firebox and no handle. Mine doesn't have the front lip but I think that's because I have the old style insulated door. Maybe I got the last one of those doors as Paul and Tyler were talking about how they were going to change to 3/4" doors as we were going over my cooker when I picked it up. There's definitely a lot less labor in the new doors vs the insulated doors.

BBQ Freak
03-15-2018, 09:23 PM
I like the new ash pans. I think I was the first to ask for one. Mine doesn't go to the edges of the firebox and no handle. Mine doesn't have the front lip but I think that's because I have the old style insulated door. Maybe I got the last one of those doors as Paul and Tyler were talking about how they were going to change to 3/4" doors as we were going over my cooker when I picked it up. There's definitely a lot less labor in the new doors vs the insulated doors.

My 24 X 65 traditional door was the first one that had the 3/4" door and Paul asked me if could be the test dummy and I said yes of course . the heat is drafting through the cooker and the vent is just feeding the fire and they made a great decision with the labor involved in making them .

70monte
03-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Great looking smoker and how I would get mine set up if I was going to get one. Will you be selling it when you get the new one you ordered?

Anyway, I can't wait to see some cooks on it.

Bob C Cue
03-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Beautiful smoker. Mine is just like yours except its a 30 gallon drum with rebar and horseshoes!

Blowin' Smoke
03-23-2018, 12:36 PM
My 24 X 65 traditional door was the first one that had the 3/4" door and Paul asked me if could be the test dummy and I said yes of course . the heat is drafting through the cooker and the vent is just feeding the fire and they made a great decision with the labor involved in making them .

Pardon my ignorance, as I have been busy lately and haven't been trolling/drooling all over Shirley threads, but what did they change about the doors? Are they all 3/4" doors now on the FB?

pjtexas1
03-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Pardon my ignorance, as I have been busy lately and haven't been trolling/drooling all over Shirley threads, but what did they change about the doors? Are they all 3/4" doors now on the FB?

we were talking about insulated fireboxes. the doors used to be elaborate to make and were insulated like the rest of the firebox but apparently there was one or 2 somewhere that warped so they switch to a single plate of 3/4" for the firebox door.

Blowin' Smoke
03-23-2018, 02:40 PM
we were talking about insulated fireboxes. the doors used to be elaborate to make and were insulated like the rest of the firebox but apparently there was one or 2 somewhere that warped so they switch to a single plate of 3/4" for the firebox door.

Copy. That makes sense. I'm almost down to 12 months wait for mine! :heh::heh:

BBQ Freak
03-23-2018, 03:56 PM
and the two doors that warped was user error in my opinion , lol . :tape:

Lobsterbake
03-23-2018, 04:05 PM
3/4" doors are really nice and have a very solid feel.

BBQ Freak
03-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Great looking smoker and how I would get mine set up if I was going to get one. Will you be selling it when you get the new one you ordered?

Anyway, I can't wait to see some cooks on it.

I will be keeping this one and adding another Shirley to my smokers .

Pug-N-Monk's BBQ
03-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Jeff,
Was that a standard firebox or thicker? I'm debating on 1/2" or Insulated and was curious how much of a difference there would be. I'm guessing not much but I assume the warmer would stay a little hotter without the insulation. I appreciate any feedback.

Brett S.

BBQ Freak
03-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Jeff,
Was that a standard firebox or thicker? I'm debating on 1/2" or Insulated and was curious how much of a difference there would be. I'm guessing not much but I assume the warmer would stay a little hotter without the insulation. I appreciate any feedback.

Brett S.

I got the insulated firebox and I think there will be very little difference on what you go with and might save a few sticks of wood on a cook .

Smoker34
03-24-2018, 09:01 AM
I've never used a stick burner, but have been looking at them for some time, Shirley in particular. Can someone please explain how the two dampers work? In this build, there are two dampers: one from the firebox to the warmer and another from the chamber to the warmer. I don't understand how you can independently control the chamber and the warmer at different temperatures if all the heat is passed through the warmer. Thanks

ncmoose
03-24-2018, 09:06 AM
It doesn't all pass through the warmer. One is a straight shot under the plate to the smoker. The other opens to the warmer.

Smoker34
03-24-2018, 09:44 AM
From their website: "Both dampers (FB to warmer, chamber to warmer)"

From what you said and would make more sense to me, shouldn't it be "Both dampers (FB to warmer, firebox to chamber)?"

Of what use is a damper from the chamber to the warmer?

pjtexas1
03-24-2018, 09:56 PM
From their website: "Both dampers (FB to warmer, chamber to warmer)"

From what you said and would make more sense to me, shouldn't it be "Both dampers (FB to warmer, firebox to chamber)?"

Of what use is a damper from the chamber to the warmer?

It's another option to heat both cook chamber and warmer. You can get it without the FB to warmer damper.

Beentown
03-25-2018, 07:46 AM
The chamber to warmer damper is the one I use the most.

Smoker34
03-25-2018, 02:14 PM
Nobody has really answered my question yet. Why does one need a chamber to warmer damper if you can independently control both the warmer and the chamber with direct conduits to the firebox? Thanks

pjtexas1
03-25-2018, 03:21 PM
Nobody has really answered my question yet. Why does one need a chamber to warmer damper if you can independently control both the warmer and the chamber with direct conduits to the firebox? ThanksYou don't really need it if you have the FB to warmer damper but it is another way to get more heat into the warmer or maybe remove heat from the main chamber if you want to look at it that way. Some prefer it to the FB to warmer damper. I'd rather have both options and not need it than only 1 and need both. Is that what you are needing?

pjtexas1
03-25-2018, 03:26 PM
There isn't really a "damper" from FB to main chamber that you can control. It's just the opening that runs under the reverse flow plate/baffle.

Smoker34
03-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Yes, I understand. I just didn't understand the need for a conduit from the chamber to the warmer. It still seems redundant to me and a variable that might be difficult to control. Thanks for the explanations.