PDA

View Full Version : Brisket help....

Philly-QueMaster
03-10-2018, 01:30 PM
I know this has been discussed a hundred times and Iíve searched through old threads trying to get a better idea of what Iím doing wrong but Iím still a little confused as to when to pull off a brisket...

I usually will cook my briskets at 275* and cook until the brisket is at an internal temp of 160* - 170*.

At that point Iíll either wrap in foil or in butchers paper until the internal temp gets to around 190* at which point I start doing the probe test and looking for the ďinsert like butterĒ feeing.

I think I may be not really understanding the ďbutterĒ feeling. Lol.

The last few briskets I made I pulled them off when I felt like the probe was going in like butter, but after pulling them off the smoker and letting them rest for a couple hours they got really firm to the touch.

Almost like the meat just tightened up and never relaxed if that makes sense? Lol.

So what am I doing wrong? Am I pulling off too early or pulling off too late?

I have a brisket on now right at about 201* internal and worrying Iím not gonna pull it at the right time.

Thanks

RemoGaggi
03-10-2018, 01:55 PM
What area of the brisket are your probing? What size briskets are you working with? How many hours approximately before you begin probing?
I think most folks will tell you that you really can't cook to a certain temperature.

RT
03-10-2018, 02:01 PM
When cooking at 275-300 I will normally get "probe tender" at 206-208. Cooking at 220-230 "probe tender" is around 202.

mrboy
03-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Are you cooking whole packers or flats? If you're cooking whole briskets, probe the fattest part of the flat.

I use BluDawag's with great success:

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

pjtexas1
03-10-2018, 04:09 PM
I never probe after I pull them but it makes sense that it would tighten up as it cools. I would worry more about how that slice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Wookiee
03-10-2018, 08:53 PM
In addition to probing, once it probes smooth I put on bbq gloves, then get one hand under the middle of it and see if it has given up/relaxed yet = ends sagging down. If both probes easy and the cow has given up and sags, I pull and rest it. Hasnít failed me yet.

If resting more than 90min I throw in in the Carlisle (cambro-like thing)...

Philly-QueMaster
03-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I usually cook full packer briskets between 14-16lbs.

Normally at 275* I’m wrapping around 4-6 hour mark and then cooking another few hours until done.

I normally probe in the thickest part of the flat.

Yesterday’s brisket turned out amazing. My best one yet.

It was a Snake River Farms brisket so now I’m not sure if I just cooked it right this time, or if it was the quality of brisket that made it so good or a combination of both. Lol

Rockinar
03-11-2018, 02:17 PM
What's your method for letting it rest? Possible its continuing to cook during the "rest"?

BKING!
03-11-2018, 02:22 PM
What's your method for letting it rest? Possible its continuing to cook during the "rest"?

This was my thought as well. It could still be cooking. Iíve always heard to vent for a couple minutes prior to resting to keep it from being over cooked. I donít know if there is truth to that.

SmoothBoarBBQ
03-11-2018, 02:29 PM
In addition to probing, once it probes smooth I put on bbq gloves, then get one hand under the middle of it and see if it has given up/relaxed yet = ends sagging down. If both probes easy and the cow has given up and sags, I pull and rest it. Hasnít failed me yet.

If resting more than 90min I throw in in the Carlisle (cambro-like thing)...

I like the concept of checking for overall tenderness by looking at how it sags. This is good advice as I know I've had briskets probe good but they weren't finished yet. Good tip.

srfannella
03-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Yesterdayís brisket turned out amazing. My best one yet.

It was a Snake River Farms brisket so now Iím not sure if I just cooked it right this time, or if it was the quality of brisket that made it so good or a combination of both. Lol

I'm guessing it was a little bit of both! Congrats. You'll get it. Don't be afraid to let the wagyu brisket go a little higher it will get there and be delish each time!! If you have any questions just let us know.

lankster35
03-12-2018, 07:41 PM
It is so hard to say what the right temp is to pull because each brisket is different. What I can say is "generally" never before 200deg and over the years I found when you think it is done wait 30 more minutes :) and let it rest which I believe is part of the key to having a really tender, juicy brisket. it is more of a feel for the jiggly that temp......

sudsandswine
03-12-2018, 11:41 PM
This was my thought as well. It could still be cooking. I’ve always heard to vent for a couple minutes prior to resting to keep it from being over cooked. I don’t know if there is truth to that.

I shoot for thoroughly probe tender in mine with maybe a bit of tug in the very center thick part of the flat. As such I always vent mine 10 to 20 minutes before wrapping them back up and placing in a cooler because taking it that far is right on the edge of being overdone...but if you don't cross that line it's my favorite brisket texture.