PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Drum vs Big Poppa Smoker Kit

bbqfanboy1021
03-10-2018, 01:11 PM
What's up good people! I would love to hear some thoughts on the gateway drum vs the awesome kit from big poppa smokers. Does the gateway really out perform the BPS? I have two drums I have built myself but they sure are ugly lol. I really want to get one that looks good enough to take to work outings or tailgating but I want to maintain the competition quality. If I go with the BPS I will more than likely get out powder coated and painted. I appreciate the help!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Coat
03-10-2018, 01:27 PM
In a minute people are gonna start suggesting Hunsaker so you might as well go ahead and google them.

JohnnyVanWinkle
03-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Gateway all the way good stuff. But dont suggest buying from that company you mentioned. Big time CS issues for us.

Nuco59
03-10-2018, 03:09 PM
ok- I know IMO, WTF, TMI and a lot of others. Coming up blank on "CS".

Help me out- not sure how "I" can be part of "US" and can have "CS issue"- if I don't know what it is

jstrand
03-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Pretty sure it means Customer Service.
That said, I've never had an issue whenever I've ordered anything. In fact I was impressed with how fast everything arrived.

Nuco59
03-10-2018, 03:35 PM
CS is customer service? Oh- I'm definitely not part of us then. Big Poppa has never left me hanging.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

bbqfanboy1021
03-10-2018, 06:21 PM
I guess the real question....other than the price is there really all that much different between the two drums? Will both cook the same given how the air intake and exhaust are situated? I don't have experience with either.

ssv3
03-10-2018, 06:24 PM
CS is customer service? Oh- I'm definitely not part of us then. Big Poppa has never left me hanging.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Customer Service :becky:

I see someone already answered it. FFS, I should read the posts before answering. :grin:

Rib Rub
03-10-2018, 07:15 PM
I want a Gateway also. Been researching barrel cooker for weeks. Presently using a pellet smoker and love it, but man I am ready to hang me some ribzzz! Seems like the Gateway holds temps very well and easy to set.

However I think I am going to get a Big Green Egg XL now and either build a UDS or get a pit barrel. Not sure what I am doing yet, everyday I change my mind everyday the more I read on here LOL. Might just say screw it and buy the Gateway and the BGE. Probably wait till spring kicks in here and outdoor cooking heats up.

KevinJ
03-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Gateway all the way good stuff. But dont suggest buying from that company you mentioned. Big time CS issues for us.Keep this trash over on Pelletheads, I don't know what happened and I really don't care, ya'll sound like scorned lovers over there, BPS has always done right by me. I've had one issue with an order in which they were proactive, let me know in advance and they went out of their way to make it more than right.

So when you say us and CS issues, what are they exactly? Since you have this need to trash BPS at every opportunity, spill the beans, get specific and don't hold back.

KevinJ
03-10-2018, 09:19 PM
And to the OP's original question, I can't say if the Gateway will out preform the BPS Drum because I've never cooked on either one but I'd personally get the Gateway.

One Drop
03-11-2018, 03:36 AM
Get the BPS version of the Gateway and you don't have to decide!

Sorry for not being more help. couldn't resist.

Pappy Q
03-11-2018, 05:14 AM
What's up good people! I would love to hear some thoughts on the gateway drum vs the awesome kit from big poppa smokers. Does the gateway really out perform the BPS? I have two drums I have built myself but they sure are ugly lol. I really want to get one that looks good enough to take to work outings or tailgating but I want to maintain the competition quality. If I go with the BPS I will more than likely get out powder coated and painted. I appreciate the help!

From my experience, Gateway hands down over BPS.

stljay
03-11-2018, 09:10 AM
I want a Gateway also. Been researching barrel cooker for weeks. Presently using a pellet smoker and love it, but man I am ready to hang me some ribzzz! Seems like the Gateway holds temps very well and easy to set.

However I think I am going to get a Big Green Egg XL now and either build a UDS or get a pit barrel. Not sure what I am doing yet, everyday I change my mind everyday the more I read on here LOL. Might just say screw it and buy the Gateway and the BGE. Probably wait till spring kicks in here and outdoor cooking heats up.

I have been a pellet guy for a while and picked up a Hunsaker drum smoker yesterday. Hung three racks of spares for the break in. Very easy to manage temps and I'm a total noob to it. Cooked at 300 and they were done in under three hours and juicier than anything off the pellet. These were really thick spares from Costco.

Bubblehead
03-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Drums are drums. Some require slightly more attention to run than others.

Build your drum, it's easy and costs significantly less AND it's cool to show your friends!

DRMSMKER
03-11-2018, 09:31 AM
I used the bps kit. My only issue is the fire basket is a little too small. Other than that, o love it and will probably just use some expanded metal to make it taller.