PDA

View Full Version : Disasters, small towns and good times.

medic92
03-09-2018, 07:10 PM
So today we hauled the trailer up to the local grocery store where we set up and got ready to go. I got the generator started, went in and started getting things ready to open. Then the generator quit. I went and tried to restart it and it was locked solid. Upon examination, it had thrown the piston right through the top of the motor. No problem, run up to our local rental store and rent a generator. It wouldn't start either.

So we pack things up and go home. The great thing about a small town is that everyone knows where we live. A couple of people drove by the house to see what was going on, bought some lunch and spread the word. We put out a Facebook post that we could take call-ins for orders and we'd deliver for bulk orders. We sold out of ribs and pulled pork, and have a little brisket left over.

I can't say enough for our little town and how well they support us. If people like your food, they'll find you wherever you are. All in all it was a stressful but good day.

Titch
03-09-2018, 07:15 PM
nice story:thumb:

Blythewood BBQ'er
03-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Glad it worked out man! Love small town life!

pjtexas1
03-09-2018, 07:57 PM
That is awesome. I love it when good things happen to good people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

medic92
03-09-2018, 08:44 PM
That is awesome. I love it when good things happen to good people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Same here, but I like it even more when good things happen to me! :becky:

Smoke on Badger Mountain
03-09-2018, 10:06 PM
i live in a small community as well and love it. Great story, thanks for the share

medic92
03-12-2018, 08:36 AM
As an addendum to this story, I'll share my conversation with Harbor Freight of Quincy, IL after the generator blew up. I called them to find out if I contacted them or the manufacturer about the warranty on the generator, and that's when I found out the generator only had a 90 day warranty. We bought it in July 2017. The manager at Harbor Freight said a warranty that short was crap and if I brought the generator in, Harbor Freight would make it good and exchange it for a brand new one.

I think I'll probably be using the Quincy Harbor Freight store a lot more in my future.

blazinfire
03-12-2018, 09:32 AM
As an addendum to this story, I'll share my conversation with Harbor Freight of Quincy, IL after the generator blew up. I called them to find out if I contacted them or the manufacturer about the warranty on the generator, and that's when I found out the generator only had a 90 day warranty. We bought it in July 2017. The manager at Harbor Freight said a warranty that short was crap and if I brought the generator in, Harbor Freight would make it good and exchange it for a brand new one.

I think I'll probably be using the Quincy Harbor Freight store a lot more in my future.

Dang buddy.. Getting hooked up! what a great day for you! Glad everything worked out well.. What kinda generator are you running your rig with? I am thinking about picking up a 2k-4k watt portable generator... Dealt with a power outage last night.. with over $1000 worth of meat in the freezer. my 800watt generator wouldn't start either... talk about stressful :D I knew the power wasn't gonna stay out for long, But I already planned the next 3 days as soon as the power went off. Funny story tho, when the power went out.. The meat in the freezer was the least of my worries..... Didn't even cross my mind until someone called said "hey what are u gonna do with all that meat???"

medic92
03-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Dang buddy.. Getting hooked up! what a great day for you! Glad everything worked out well.. What kinda generator are you running your rig with? I am thinking about picking up a 2k-4k watt portable generator... Dealt with a power outage last night.. with over $1000 worth of meat in the freezer. my 800watt generator wouldn't start either... talk about stressful :D I knew the power wasn't gonna stay out for long, But I already planned the next 3 days as soon as the power went off. Funny story tho, when the power went out.. The meat in the freezer was the least of my worries..... Didn't even cross my mind until someone called said "hey what are u gonna do with all that meat???"

I'm using a Predator 8750 watt generator. It runs 7000 continuous. I have an identical one as a backup but it had been sitting since July and needed the carburetor cleaned so it wasn't much use. I've got it cleaned and ready to go so now the new one will be my backup. I won't even put gas in it unless it's needed.

Power outages don't make me too nervous since we buy our meat fresh every week. I don't have a freezer full of product that's going to go bad if something happens, but if the power does go out for an extended period I've got the backup generator I can use at home.

SmokerKing
03-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Oh crap, I just picked up a Predator 8750 yesterday at HF.....

medic92
03-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Oh crap, I just picked up a Predator 8750 yesterday at HF.....

The one that blew up was actually the second one I bought from them. I punched a hole in the gas tank of the first one a month after I bought it and had to run and buy the second one in a hurry. The second one was noticeably louder than the first, and I think in hindsight it was probably piston slap from a motor that got by quality control. The original one (which now has an intact tank) is still running like a champ. It's my full-time generator now and the brand new one I exchanged for today will sit in the garage with no gas or oil added until it's needed.

I also bought the two year warranty with this one and the manager told me if I come back near the end of the two year period with the generator they'll just swap it out for a new one.

Service like that guarantees I'll spend a lot more money there. I spent an additional $234 there today, so they've already made up half the cost of the generator they took back.