PDA

View Full Version : New Pellet Smoker at Walmart

Cat797
03-09-2018, 02:03 PM
Was wasting some time on the internet today and found a discussion about a new Pit Boss Pellet smoker available at Walmart.I was in Walmart the other day and saw their barrel type units but did not see this unit, the Copperhead. It's a vertical insulated unit with 5.5 cu. ft. Of space or 1500 square inches. Has 60 pound pellet hopper too.....Price is good at $396. I'm thinking I might have to put the ol' MES 40 and one of my Performers up for sale!

If anyone is interested in getting in the pellet game affordably, I'd give this a look.....Anyone here got one yet?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-5-5-cu-ft-Wood-Fired-Vertical-Pellet-Smoker/876324460

Ed

pjtexas1
03-09-2018, 02:48 PM
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256264

Rib Rub
03-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Pellet smokers are taking over! However owning a pellet smoker, I now want a barrel and ceramic smoker

Cat797
03-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Hadn't seen that one Paul.....

Kaptain Kadian
03-09-2018, 04:43 PM
I saw one out of the box at an academy, even though it says a Walmart exclusive, and it seemed kind of narrow. It seemed like it would have a hard time fitting a whole rack of ribs or a packer brisket. The picture looks deceiving. It didn't seem that wide or deep

Cat797
03-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Kaptain, I think Pit Boss makes a smaller vertical that is not available at Walmart as shown on their website. The social media post I saw today had a picture of this guy's wife standing next to it and it looks big enough for a brisket. I'm gonna try to go to Walmart this weekend to scope it out.

MikeMc
04-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Unboxing one now. Seems hard to go wrong for the price.
Grills are 22x14 about the same as my Masterbuilt XL and 5 of them instead of 4.
I will post pics and cook when I get there.

jasonjax
04-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Mods, if this is running afoul of any rules please delete, but given the topic I thought I'd share this link since I've been actively following it on the other site.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2242.0

Not sure if you have to register or not to see it.

Mikhail
04-06-2018, 05:27 PM
I couldn't quite tell what that thread was about. he bought it, assembled it then took it apart and put it back in the box?

Maybe I should have read it pre-beverage.

dadsr4
04-06-2018, 06:01 PM
$396.00
That would buy a lot of charcoal, and meat to be cooked, on my 1979 Weber kettle. The current equivalent would be $99.00 for an equivalent kettle, so that would be $297.00's worth of charcoal and good eating. All for maybe 5 minutes saved for setting up the cooker, then, after 20 minutes for the coals to settle, putting on the meat for how ever long it takes to cook it.
I can remember, when my children were young, that saying, "I'm going to go start the grill", was a period of time to myself that was quite valuable to me.

stljay
04-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Pellet smokers are taking over! However owning a pellet smoker, I now want a barrel and ceramic smoker

Yep. That's why I have the drum. Wanted something new and different. And boy is it different. Pellet is still great though! If you have the cash, the Hunsaker is a really nice drum. The vortex basket makes it. It's very even heat across and vertical but still has that smoked over coals flavor.

jermoQ
04-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Unboxing one now. Seems hard to go wrong for the price.
Grills are 22x14 about the same as my Masterbuilt XL and 5 of them instead of 4.
I will post pics and cook when I get there.

What is the temp range on It? I like the idea that it is a vertical pellet cooker. Didn't know if it would go 450 or that high?

Jason TQ
04-06-2018, 06:42 PM
I saw one out of the box at an academy, even though it says a Walmart exclusive, and it seemed kind of narrow. It seemed like it would have a hard time fitting a whole rack of ribs or a packer brisket. The picture looks deceiving. It didn't seem that wide or deep

You sure it's the same one?? The one at my Academy is not the walmart exclusive and definitely not as wide. When I did an academy search it only showed the different one (which is what mine has and isn't as wide as walmart) unless your academy has the walmart.
https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/grills--outdoor-cooking?facet=mfName_ntk_cs%253A%2522Pit+Boss%2522 #

In general i'm going to watch for a close out on this smoker. For $200 i'd buy it in a heartbeat to play with.

jermoQ
04-06-2018, 08:36 PM

Here it shows a few different kinds of verticals from Pitboss. There are some different sizes, so academy may only have the skinnier one?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://pitboss-grills.com/products/%3Fcategory%3Dvertical-smokers&ved=2ahUKEwjtmKKzgqfaAhUK7lMKHcWaAY8QFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2BA-DVilpajwiw20twDkl1

TravelingJ
04-06-2018, 08:41 PM
That's pretty interesting. I had thought that when I replace my PitBos 820, I'd go for a Yoder or the likes. But, the biggest issue I have with mine-is the lack of space. This guy seems like I could seriously take care of that space issue, for a pretty reasonable price.

jermoQ
04-06-2018, 08:47 PM
That's pretty interesting. I had thought that when I replace my PitBos 820, I'd go for a Yoder or the likes. But, the biggest issue I have with mine-is the lack of space. This guy seems like I could seriously take care of that space issue, for a pretty reasonable price.

I concur!

jasonjax
04-06-2018, 09:23 PM
$396.00
That would buy a lot of charcoal, and meat to be cooked, on my 1979 Weber kettle. The current equivalent would be $99.00 for an equivalent kettle, so that would be $297.00's worth of charcoal and good eating. All for maybe 5 minutes saved for setting up the cooker, then, after 20 minutes for the coals to settle, putting on the meat for how ever long it takes to cook it.
I can remember, when my children were young, that saying, "I'm going to go start the grill", was a period of time to myself that was quite valuable to me.

One heck of a Weber Kettle to have 1800+ sq. inches of cooking space. Would love to see what that looks like.

Cooknhogz
04-07-2018, 04:48 AM
I couldn't quite tell what that thread was about. he bought it, assembled it then took it apart and put it back in the box?

Maybe I should have read it pre-beverage.

Now that ****z funny ^^I was lost too

Cooknhogz
04-07-2018, 04:57 AM
I seen one of these smokers at the local Field and Stream and they sure look pretty tempting and really, that's not a bad price if they work well.

ChrisBarb
04-07-2018, 07:17 AM
You get what you pay for. Walmart vs. Yoder..... Hmm...

Cat797
04-07-2018, 08:17 AM
You get what you pay for. Walmart vs. Yoder..... Hmm...

I've got a Yoder, and it's a beast.....I like the look of this cabinet, and it has more space than my Yoder. It would be my sausage cooker and I will build something to be able to hang chubs in it. The thread that Jason posted from the other forum, the guy did a bunch of testing and it looks like it will run down in the 140-160 degree level. Runs pretty decent at 225-250 too. I'm betting it will produce a hell of a lot more smoke than my Masterbuilt. After reading the other thread I'm sold on it.

Bob C Cue
04-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Finally a thread about pellet grils. LOL

Mikhail
04-07-2018, 09:07 AM
Now that ****z funny ^^I was lost too

And they were praising him for doing it. :shocked:

Not sure I can see the virtue in that effort, even now in the clear light of day and plenty of coffee and no alcohol.

jstrand
04-07-2018, 09:30 AM
For the confused people.
He didn't get it, assemble it and then take it apart. He was commenting on getting it back into it's original package because 50 or so people bought a 10 dollar raffle ticket to pay for the purchase and review of the cooker. After he's done doing the review they will draw a name out of the people who bought a ticket and then he will send them the cooker.
They have done this with a couple other items as well.

jstrand
04-07-2018, 09:43 AM
I've got a Yoder, and it's a beast.....I like the look of this cabinet, and it has more space than my Yoder. It would be my sausage cooker and I will build something to be able to hang chubs in it. The thread that Jason posted from the other forum, the guy did a bunch of testing and it looks like it will run down in the 140-160 degree level. Runs pretty decent at 225-250 too. I'm betting it will produce a hell of a lot more smoke than my Masterbuilt. After reading the other thread I'm sold on it.

If you go to page 14 he was doing jerky and a pork belly. With a pan of ice and the unit set at 170 degrees the unit stayed below 100 degrees for at least 3 hours so you could use it as a cold smoker as well.
I know I'm impressed and I hope come this fall that Walmart has them on clearance.

Czarbecue
04-07-2018, 10:09 AM
I sure would love a gas fired pellet pooper.

jstrand
04-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Huh?
Once the hot rod ignites the pellets it's just pellets burning, the auger adds pellets as needed to keep the temp along with the fan.
Think of the pellets as baby splits, instead of one or two splits it adds lots of babies! :laugh:

Czarbecue
04-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Then may be a battery operated auger. I've had an electric cooker before and having to be near an outlet just doesn't do it for me. I have a vertical gasser and I mostly use it when it's raining or I need to set and forget. Or sides... since I don't need too much smoke.

Nuco59
04-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Wish it came in "black"- I might have a better time hiding it amongst my other cookers.

If I were contemplating sneaking one in- that is.

jstrand
04-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Then may be a battery operated auger. I've had an electric cooker before and having to be near an outlet just doesn't do it for me. I have a vertical gasser and I mostly use it when it's raining or I need to set and forget. Or sides... since I don't need too much smoke.

Alot of people run there pellet cookers off a battery or one of those portable jump starters.
My Davy Crockett can be run off an outlet, cigarette lighter or off a battery, came with all the plugs and gator clips.