PDA

View Full Version : Yet another bacon question

bschoen
03-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Not to beat a dead pig, but I did not find this question addressed among the volumes written regarding bacon (buckboard in this case) curing.

On the subject of soaking after the cure process to leach some of the salt. Wouldn't a soak after the cure amount to partially *un-doing* the cure by the very nature of leaching out the salts?

I have made traditional (pork belly) bacon 3 or 4 times using the cure found in Ruhman and Polcyn's fine book "Charcuterie". I really like it but my wife claims it is too salty (actually I am ok with that since I get to consume all of it :twisted:), so I thought I would do a buckboard version from a loin roast and do a post cure soak.

TIA,
-bruce

mbricker
03-07-2018, 03:43 PM
I found my bacon from "Charcuterie" a bit too salty as well. So when I'm ready to eat it, I par boil it in plain water for about 90 seconds and then cook it as usual.

IamMadMan
03-07-2018, 03:45 PM
Not to beat a dead pig, but I did not find this question addressed among the volumes written regarding bacon (buckboard in this case) curing.

On the subject of soaking after the cure process to leach some of the salt. Wouldn't a soak after the cure amount to partially *un-doing* the cure by the very nature of leaching out the salts?

I have made traditional (pork belly) bacon 3 or 4 times using the cure found in Ruhman and Polcyn's fine book "Charcuterie". I really like it but my wife claims it is too salty (actually I am ok with that since I get to consume all of it :twisted:), so I thought I would do a buckboard version from a loin roast and do a post cure soak.

TIA,
-bruce

No, you cannot uncure bacon.... not even buckboard bacon.

Soak in cold water for an hour or two and let dry to form a pellicle before smoking.

Curing is a chemical reaction where the sodium nitrite is converted to a gas and bonds with the myoglobins of the meat to produce that beautiful pink color we associate with cured meats. It will also continue to inhibit bacteria in the low temperature of the smoker.

ssv3
03-07-2018, 03:55 PM
What Madman said. You can't uncure. Myself, I cut down a bit in salt and pink salt so once cured I just rinse the slabs and place them in the fridge to form the pellicle.

zippy12
03-07-2018, 04:23 PM
I am on cure day 3 of 6.5lbs BBB

1.25 inch thick

going to rinse and soak tomorrow night and rack rest in fridge 1.5 days .. do a few test frys

Smoke Saturday AM

let sit for 2 days slice and vac seal and freeze

bschoen
03-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Well there you have at it. Thank you all!

legendaryhog
03-07-2018, 05:38 PM

TIA,
-bruce

A lot of recipes in the original (1st) edition of Charcuterie the public pretty much agreed upon as too salty (and I agree). They have corrected some of them in the 2nd edition to eliminate some of the saltiness. Even so I find some of them too salty, but I think I'm a bit more sensitive to the level of salt than most.