PDA

View Full Version : Are you attending NBBQA or HPBA conventions this month?

wahoowad
03-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Both the NBBQA (National BBQ Association) and HPBA (Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association) are having major events this week or next. I wish I could go but cant.

Anybody else attending? If so, are you going to be tweeting or posting stuff you see there? Id love to follow you if so to see some of it :-D

travismagee
03-07-2018, 05:42 PM
I will be at the NBBQA. I went to the HPBA last year in Atlanta and honestly was not too impressed. There are just way too many Chinese knockoff manufactures there as far as bbq grills went. I would say the National Hardware Show in Vegas was better.. MUCH bigger.. but there seemed to be a lot more bbq products. Maybe the location of the HPBA didn't help. Nashville I'm sure is a better fit.

I am going to shoot a lot of video and photography content for our website and youtube channel from the NBBQA since we will have some of our grills out there. You can follow my instagram for some quick overall shots of the event at mgrills_texas.

SmittyJonz
03-07-2018, 09:17 PM
N Texas Bash........ :heh:

SmoothBoarBBQ
03-08-2018, 06:35 AM
I went to the NBBQA conference last year and it was mediocre at best. They moved it to the stockyards in Fort Worth and that was nice, but there was just too much down time. They took us in buses there at about 8am and didn't bring us back until after dinner. So much of that time nothing of value or relevance was going on.

There were a couple of good courses on meat science, marketing, and the SIG talks were nice, but overall it was kind of a dud. If you live in that general area it's probably not a bad idea to give it a go, but if you're flying in and staying at a hotel it's quite the investment and I wouldn't suggest it's worth it. The best thing from last year was the BBQ Bash where 20+ high profile cook teams got paired up with attendees from the conference and helped them cook / serve their BBQ to the public. I ended up with Sam Jones from Skylight Inn BBQ and had a great time. He's a hell of a nice guy and the way he does his whole hog is traditional and amazing.

Unfortunately they have replaced the BBQ Bash this year with a "Grilling Academy." They're going to smoke two whole hogs which sounds great, but when there's an audience of 100+ people all trying to get in and see what's happening it's kind of a wash.

Just wanted to give my experience from last year so people who have never been know what they're getting into. This year might be better but who knows.

wahoowad
03-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Good feedback on the NBBQA. Hard to tell from the marketing materials.

I wanted to go as I felt it would have been a great resource for identifying potential products for the BBQ store I daydream about opening. I looked into the Vegas hardware event and it’s hard to tell if the grill/smoker section would be bigger. Is there any expo that is considered “the” event for the grill/smoker/outdoor cooking industry?

travismagee
03-08-2018, 10:08 AM
Good feedback on the NBBQA. Hard to tell from the marketing materials.

I wanted to go as I felt it would have been a great resource for identifying potential products for the BBQ store I daydream about opening. I looked into the Vegas hardware event and its hard to tell if the grill/smoker section would be bigger. Is there any expo that is considered the event for the grill/smoker/outdoor cooking industry?

Honestly the Vegas show was bigger, but its still just the same bbq products you see all over the place at the big box stores and around every corner. Big Green Egg, Webber, Traeger, and every Chinese made grill you can imagine and then some.

The Outdoor area was better in Vegas than the HPBE, but I think the location had something to do with that. There was a TON more people in Vegas. Thats for sure.

After attending all of them, I feel you will see the same stuff at all shows. They just seemed to go "All Out" in Vegas with a ton more people. At the end of the day its the same stuff.