PDA

View Full Version : flame boss

Gwanger
03-06-2018, 08:13 PM
new member here, after retiring my horizontal smoker, I recently purchased a dyna-glo dgss 1382 vcs-d a vertical offset smoker. I purchased because it has the ability to smoke sausages which I love making. my question is has anyone used a Flame boss 300 ? I am looking at one, depending on whether I get any positive feedback on it using it with a charcoal basket and minion bars. anyone use flame boss 300 with charcoal basket and minion bars?

CptKaos
03-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Nope
Controllers and charcoal generally don't work well with offset wood burners
Good luck

Larry

Gwanger
03-07-2018, 05:29 AM
thanks for your reply, but my dyna-glo dgss 1382 vcs-d is a charcoal and wood smoker so I am looking for replies on the flame boss 300 that should be able to control temps in the dyna glo without having to babysit.I had a horizontal stick burner and couldnt get temps low enough for smoking sausage. With the Flame boss you should be able to maintain any temp that you set it for.

CptKaos
03-07-2018, 05:48 AM
ok, good luck

Larry

ebijack
03-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Lots of folks like/use FlameBoss.
In my vertical cabinet, my FlameBoss 100 didn't work properly from the get go. Similar problems with a BBQ Guru after giving up on the FlameBoss. After 4+ hrs into a cook. The fan would come on and stay on spiking temps. I'm talking 60* above set temp and fan starting/still running. Both units would do that. I had to unplug the units to "reset" then start over. 6 mths of fighting with those POS.
Learn to control your cooker without electronics. I doubt I will ever trust using a controller again.

BillATL
03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
I run a Flameboss 300 with my Humphrey's Qubed Pint. I've run it at 160 smoking fish with no problems

pharp
03-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Can't speak to the particulars of your question but I love my FB 300. It has worked well for me and love being able to leave home during a long cook.