PDA

View Full Version : Jerky - Can you cure it too long

Dooglefish
03-06-2018, 12:58 PM
So I prepped my Jerky Sat evening and cut it to 1/4" and use Hi-Mountain Seasonings Jerky kit that contains pink curing salt. I had intended to smoke it last night but I got busy. Is there any harm in letting jerky cure for over 48 hours before smoking it?

Stlsportster
03-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Nope...Flavor will be more intense but most jerky cure's are an equilibrium cure, meaning the weight of curing agents is designed to equal a % of the meat's weight. It cant get to be a higher % no matter how long you cure it.

Two days is no problem...now you might find the texture changes if you leave it longer...but it would still be safe.

legendaryhog
03-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Nope...Flavor will be more intense but most jerky cure's are an equilibrium cure, meaning the weight of curing agents is designed to equal a % of the meat's weight. It cant get to be a higher % no matter how long you cure it.

Two days is no problem...now you might find the texture changes if you leave it longer...but it would still be safe.

This. 48 hrs is no problem. If you go to long your meat can get mushy.

IamMadMan
03-06-2018, 04:07 PM

^ +1 I agree with Stlsportster, he is right on the money; as long as you used it according to the package directions and the specified weight of meat according the package.

I also agree that the texture may change slightly according to length of time in the cure before drying. The texture may change simply because the salt will continue to denature the proteins in the meat.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Dooglefish
03-09-2018, 10:17 PM
Well, you guys were definitely right. I ended up having to wait yet another day, so the jerky cured for almost 4 days. Smoked it for about 3 hours at 200. Tastes exactly right, but the texture is definitely different. A little spongy, but not bad.

Thanks!