PDA

View Full Version : Pork belly boneless cut now what???

aerotech11
03-06-2018, 11:40 AM
I got this package of pork belly that has been cut in strips from Costco. Originally I thought it was already done for bacon but upon closer inspection it doesn’t look like it has been prepared for bacon. Just cut pork belly. My question is do I need to cure it and smoke it or just smoke it or do I need to do anything with it at all prior to cooking it. Seeing how I have never made my own bacon what would be the correct process since it is already cut up? I have been wanting to do my own bacon for a while now and have read up on some different methods but now that it is cut throws me for a loop. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

jermoQ
03-06-2018, 12:17 PM
I have never been there. Jerky? Maybe throw it all in a cure for an hour, then smoke really low? You could also just bbq rub, sauce and make pig belly candy sticks.

bschoen
03-06-2018, 12:21 PM
That is some weird chit. The butcher who did that needs a timeout. Wrap it around some jalapeno poppers and deep fry?

Battleborn
03-06-2018, 12:22 PM
I don't think you can cure it sliced. Fresh side pork is what you have and it's very good on its own. Cook it same as you would bacon

aerotech11
03-06-2018, 12:24 PM
I have never been there. Jerky? Maybe throw it all in a cure for an hour, then smoke really low? You could also just bbq rub, sauce and make pig belly candy sticks.

Pig belly candy sticks just sounds awesome. Is there a specific method for that?

aerotech11
03-06-2018, 12:25 PM
I don't think you can cure it sliced. Fresh side pork is what you have and it's very good on its own. Cook it same as you would bacon

So I can just cook it and it will be good as regular bacon?

zippy12
03-06-2018, 12:44 PM
So I can just cook it and it will be good as regular bacon?

Thats a NO BOO....

Cure 1 gives bacon its taste

I wonder if you can stack it and tie it in square bundles and cure it like a belly then smoke it in bundles.... then fry like bacon

Beentown
03-06-2018, 12:50 PM
How thick are the slices? I'd skewer them and make them like pork belly burnt ends.

Pig candy on a stick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

aerotech11
03-06-2018, 01:00 PM
How thick are the slices? I'd skewer them and make them like pork belly burnt ends.

Pig candy on a stick.

The slices are like the thickness of a good thick cut bacon. Maybe 1/16 th thick or so.

ulc
03-06-2018, 01:11 PM
The cut and thickness of the pork belly you have is the most popular BBQ meat in Korea, Samgyeopsal. https://mykoreankitchen.com/pork-belly-bbq-samgyeopsal-gui/

You can cook it just like you would bacon.

Beentown
03-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Fresh side is what we always called it. Aka uncured bacon.

What would I do with part of it? Even being sliced thinner I'd skewer it with pineapple and use your favorite rub. Grill.

Fry up some also, heavily peppered is my favorite way.

THoey1963
03-06-2018, 01:45 PM
My wife buys that and makes Asian wraps with it. Cut into pieces, fry like bacon, yet it won't taste like bacon, just tastes like fatty pork. Get a small lettuce leaf, dip pork in a sesame oil and pepper blend, put on leaf. Add a little sticky rice, a dab of beans paste, some fresh slices of garlic and jalapeno, maybe some sauteed mushroom, roll in a ball, shove in your move whole, and try to chew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samgyeopsal

BigKing
03-06-2018, 02:00 PM
I made pork belly burnt ends with the same cut from Costco for the Super Bowl. Sliced it into cubes, rubbed and then put on skewers and hung in the PBC.

As you can see, they are butchered into thick strips so you can't wrap it around anything without slicing it much thinner. I just took the strips and sliced into cubes.

THoey1963
03-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Can't really do that with really thick bacon slices.

jermoQ
03-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Pig belly candy sticks just sounds awesome. Is there a specific method for that?

This is just me guessing, since I haven't done strips
1. Season with rub (some extra brown sugar if you want to)
2. Smoke at 200 or 225 for an hour or hour and a half (might need to go longer)
3. Sauce, then return to smoker for an hour longer

This is just a see how well it will work

aerotech11
03-06-2018, 03:04 PM
I made pork belly burnt ends with the same cut from Costco for the Super Bowl. Sliced it into cubes, rubbed and then put on skewers and hung in the PBC.

As you can see, they are butchered into thick strips so you can't wrap it around anything without slicing it much thinner. I just took the strips and sliced into cubes.

Those look great and I would love to do something like that but my slices are not quite as thick. They are thicker than I thought but not quite that thick. Possibly too thick for bacon. I was thinking of maybe cutting each slice in half. Putting on some rub then folding them over to make them thicker. Toothpick to hold it together while It cooks Then smoking and proceed to making that burnt end of sorts. What was your recepie for those in your picture?

aerotech11
03-06-2018, 03:06 PM
This is just me guessing, since I haven't done strips
1. Season with rub (some extra brown sugar if you want to)
2. Smoke at 200 or 225 for an hour or hour and a half (might need to go longer)
3. Sauce, then return to smoker for an hour longer

This is just a see how well it will work

When I return them back to the smoker do I put them in a pan or just back on the grates?

BigKing
03-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Pretty much the standard pork belly burnt end recipe you'll find talked about on here or elsewhere online.

In the smoker for a few hours. Into a pan with brown sugar/honey/butter and covered. I put mine in the oven at this point due to needing space in the PBC but you can return it to the smoker. Let it run for an hour or so. Drain the pan or move the pieces to another pan. Sauce and put it back in uncovered for 15 minutes.

You can put them on a grate but I skewered and hung due to it making the most sense for my cooker.

Czarbecue
03-06-2018, 03:19 PM
That's a braised pork belly cut right there. The butcher did it just fine.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51f7e921e4b06892daa75968/t/520076a9e4b044192307e3a7/1375762091091/red+cooked+pork.jpeg?format=1000w

Joshw
03-06-2018, 03:56 PM
It is fresh side meat. If you want to turn it into bacon, you can. Just mix up a brine, and put your slices in. Leave them for a day or two, and you have cured unsmoked bacon. You could either add some liquid smoke to your brine, or cold smoke them after brining.

If you think they are too thick for bacon, I would either braise them like Czarbecue suggested, or make Chicharrones out of it.

Untraceable
03-06-2018, 04:27 PM
Ive battered uncured pork belly strips and deep fried them like a Chicken Fried belly strip. Was totally incredible

airedale
03-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Lots of things you can do with it, but until it's cured and smoked it is not bacon. It is pork.

There's no reason you couldn't cure it like you would an unsliced belly. In theory it would require less curing time because of the thin strips but as a practical matter the strips won't be individually given the cure; it will be a stack of strips so I would give it the week of curing that I'd give any skinned belly. You could try a shorter cure but look at each strip carefully to make sure they all have the nice red cured color and are not still gray pork. I would not screw with this. I'd just do the week. Re "throw it all in a cure for an hour" ?? Ack! Not a chance that would be safe.

Smoking it will be a bit of a PITA because you'd have to hang strips individually or in pairs so at least one side of each strip was exposed to the smoke. I'd also watch and taste-test frequently with the expectation that the thin strips will absorb smoke more quickly.

jermoQ
03-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Lots of things you can do with it, but until it's cured and smoked it is not bacon. It is pork.

There's no reason you couldn't cure it like you would an unsliced belly. In theory it would require less curing time because of the thin strips but as a practical matter the strips won't be individually given the cure; it will be a stack of strips so I would give it the week of curing that I'd give any skinned belly. You could try a shorter cure but look at each strip carefully to make sure they all have the nice red cured color and are not still gray pork. I would not screw with this. I'd just do the week. Re "throw it all in a cure for an hour" ?? Ack! Not a chance that would be safe.

Smoking it will be a bit of a PITA because you'd have to hang strips individually or in pairs so at least one side of each strip was exposed to the smoke. I'd also watch and taste-test frequently with the expectation that the thin strips will absorb smoke more quickly.

Actually what I had in mind was a quick type of hot smoked bacon. I haven't ever made bacon before. I may be a little misguided by this but my idea was:
He has a bunch of strips. Not sure what ingredients you have to put in for a cure, but I was thinking all that was needed is salt, brown sugar, pepper. Mix up all together making sure each piece is coated. Let it sit (Maybe a couple of hours, to 24??) In the fridge to get happy. After that, wouldnt you be able to lay it out individual in a smoker and have Bacon? I agree with you that it would be a pain, but I think it is silly to try and bundle it up for smoking in a big heap.

Am I way off wth this?

jermoQ
03-06-2018, 07:18 PM
When I return them back to the smoker do I put them in a pan or just back on the grates?

What Bigking said. I was making it too difficult. Since it is flat, I would want to cook until it is a little crisper maybe. I also think that the other ideas are good too. Not sure if you have enough to do multiple things, but it would be fun trying!

airedale
03-06-2018, 07:20 PM
... I haven't ever made bacon before. With respect, I could have guessed that.

Am I way off wth this?Yes. Too far to explain. Do some reading, learn what an "equilibrium cure" is. That will help.

Joshw
03-06-2018, 07:51 PM
If you want real bacon, you have to use insta cure #1. If you just add salt, you will have salty pork, not bacon. Just my opinion, but I would do a wet brine. Throw your slices in, and let them soak for a day or two. That way you aren't putting cure on each individual piece.

jermoQ
03-06-2018, 08:03 PM
With respect, I could have guessed that.

Yes. Too far to explain. Do some reading, learn what an "equilibrium cure" is. That will help.

Thank you for the help. Also, for helping me to have a humbling laugh at my idiocy regarding the methodology of bacon! :pile: I will look up some bacon process info before I go to bed tonight. I imagine I will stay away from doing any charcuterie type activities myself, and leave it up to the experts!

airedale
03-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Thank you for the help. ... No problem. There are only two types of forum participants: Those who admit to making postings that exceed their expertise and those who have done it but don't admit it. Carry on, sir.

Re bacon it is actually quite easy: Cure. Smoke.

I use a dry cure, shrink wrap the belly with the cure and leave in the fridge for a week (or more if I'm busy), turning daily. Then 12 hours of cold smoke.

The biggest hassle is getting that big belly sliced. I have a chef friend who has a big slicer and collects a tithe for doing the deed.

Cure: Start with someone's kit, like http://www.lemproducts.com/product/bacon-cure-dry-rub/bacon-ham-seasoning It will have the sodium nitrite (sometimes aka "Cure #!") that is needed, as @JoshW points out.

WareZdaBeef
03-06-2018, 08:57 PM

Jokes aside, thats not a bad idea. A quick 24 hour cure in cure#1 and a few tsp of liquid smoke, you wouldn't beable to tell the diff between that, and oscar mayer. Although, i usually buy a lb of oscar mayer when its on sale for $3.50/lb

OP unfortunately paid more for and has to do all the work for the same turn out.

WareZdaBeef
03-06-2018, 09:00 PM
That's a braised pork belly cut right there. The butcher did it just fine.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51f7e921e4b06892daa75968/t/520076a9e4b044192307e3a7/1375762091091/red+cooked+pork.jpeg?format=1000w

What OP posted is not even close to the thickness of pork belly you posted. Good luck braising 1/8 inch thick sliced pork belly.

The Wookiee
03-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Costco sells both thicker and thinner versions of that... usually all in same bin in my store. Thick ones I use for pork belly burnt ends, thinner (looks like what you have there) I use heavy dose of rub and let’em ride until the fat gets crispy... you can also candy them with maple syrup and or saucer Them. As long as use heavy dose of salty + whatever you like rub and cook until fat crispy they turn out fantastic. I have some vac sealed in the freezer now gonna do for dinner later this week. Any temp b/w 225-300 they do great (have done them on offset and pellet grill).

I only do homemade bacon with whole belly... which they also carry intermittently as Costco. Uncurred as you have is just cook and eat...

aerotech11
03-08-2018, 10:59 PM
I ended up putting some rub on the strips and smoking them for about 3 hours with some cherry wood. Cut up the strips put In a pan with some honey brown sugar butter. Back on covered for 90 minutes then uncovered sauced and back on for 30 minutes. Came out great. Pig candy for sure.

Beentown
03-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Adapt, overcome. I'd hit that...

jermoQ
03-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Looks deelightful! Successful cook! :thumb:

BigKing
03-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Nice work, Aero!

When life hands you thin sliced pork belly, make pig candy.

aerotech11
03-09-2018, 05:23 PM
Nice work, Aero!

When life hands you thin sliced pork belly, make pig candy.

Amen. Will be doing it again if given the chance. Turned out better than expected. Thanks to all for the great ideas.

The Wookiee
03-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Drooling....

2stroke250
03-10-2018, 05:47 PM
That is what's called side pork season throw on cooker indirect will turn out awesome. We always get side pork with the pig we buy each year and will open a package to cook up as a snack while cooking up ribs shoulder ect. It should take about 30 -45 mins 275 on shirley fab reverse flow. Scott

Bill-Chicago
03-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Your pig candy turned out great from the looks of it!

Maybe add a little Cayenne pepper to your brown sugar for a gentle kiss of heat.

The key word on that Costco tag is "Cut" on the second line. As others have said, both are usually in the same bin at Costco.

I just picked up a pack yesterday, destined for burnt ends for Easter. I made sure to get the uncut. And they had full cryo's but they were too big for what I needed.

Thanks to the posters in this thread for the additional ideas!

smokeswirl
03-11-2018, 09:35 PM
That is some weird chit. The butcher who did that needs a timeout. Wrap it around some jalapeno poppers and deep fry?It's not weird chit. Can be grilled on a flat top or grill. Dipped in a sesame oil, salt and black pepper. Take some Boston or red leaf lettuce stuff with grilled or roasted whole garlic, sesame oil dipped chuck of grilled pork and some medium grain rice.

You have to understand that compared to the rest of the world, America does some different things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

smokeswirl
03-11-2018, 09:37 PM
My wife buys that and makes Asian wraps with it. Cut into pieces, fry like bacon, yet it won't taste like bacon, just tastes like fatty pork. Get a small lettuce leaf, dip pork in a sesame oil and pepper blend, put on leaf. Add a little sticky rice, a dab of beans paste, some fresh slices of garlic and jalapeno, maybe some sauteed mushroom, roll in a ball, shove in your move whole, and try to chew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SamgyeopsalSome salt along with the sesame oil and black pepper will go a long way with whole roasted garlic. Love it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Czarbecue
03-12-2018, 01:21 AM
What OP posted is not even close to the thickness of pork belly you posted. Good luck braising 1/8 inch thick sliced pork belly.

Thickness is irrelevant. It's the same dish with the same cut.