PDA

View Full Version : Building gravity feed smoker?

HuskerMan
03-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Contemplating this but have a few questions. How do they compare to a normal vertical smoker with firebox at bottom? Is it important that itís insulated? If so how thick should the metal be? I have two sheets of 1/4Ē steel I was planning to use from. Anyone have good step by step pictures/plans? I have never used/seen a gravity feed smoker and most of the plans I have seen so far donít have pictures because of photobuckets new rule.

patrickd26
03-06-2018, 11:02 AM
I'm in Fremont and had one built a couple of summers ago. I own several smokers and this is as close to set and forget as you can get. Especially, coupled with a fan control system. I think that it's very important to be insulated. Especially where we live. It keeps the fuel burn very efficient. I want to say the one I had built called for 16ga, but we ended up doing 12ga because of supply and easier to weld with. Next time that you are in the area let me know. I have the CAD drawings and everything. I handed it over to my plasma cutter guy and he made it. It's basically a stump's clone.

Let me know if you have any questions! I actually work in Wahoo!