PDA

View Full Version : Firebox Rust...

Yakfishingfool
04-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Went back and reviewed som eof the old posts on maintainence. My oiling didn;t go well and now I've got a fair amount of rust on the firebox only of my BYC. Can I just sand til clean, and paint? Then resume the oiling with preheating treatment? The rest of the unit looks great, just the firebox. Scott

nmayeux
04-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Yup. Or you can take a wire wheel and attach to a drill and knock the rust off that way. Finding rust on your baby sure does suck though. Let us know how it goes.

jsimonson0
04-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Went back and reviewed som eof the old posts on maintainence. My oiling didn;t go well and now I've got a fair amount of rust on the firebox only of my BYC. Can I just sand til clean, and paint? Then resume the oiling with preheating treatment? The rest of the unit looks great, just the firebox. Scott

That's pretty much what I do. As this is the end of my first full year with the SKD, I'll be oiling it up this weekend and giving it a good smoke. Of course, since I'll be in there anyway... and there will be a wood-burning fire... and the weather is supposed to be nice... and I haven't done any rib-tips yet...

Jorge
04-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Since you have a Klose, go to the source....

http://bbqpits.com/painting.htm

Yakfishingfool
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys!

Smokin Gator
04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Just brush the rust off.. season and go!

Bigmista
04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Is forebox anything like foreskin?

*going to my room now*

Yakfishingfool
04-03-2007, 08:40 PM
yes, just be sure to clean under it...tends to rust you know. S

backyardchef
04-04-2007, 08:08 AM

That's not rust! :eek:

jsimonson0
04-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Rust just means it's getting exposed to moisture on a regular basis...

Puppyboy
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I used some steel wool pads, elbow grease, and a can of the BBQ paint to make mine look pretty. Need to give it another coat though.

Jorge
04-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I used some steel wool pads, elbow grease, and a can of the BBQ paint to make mine look pretty. Need to give it another coat though.

No different than painting a classic car. Light coats, and more than one thick one8-)

Yakfishingfool
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I went with seasoning the outside of the firebox. Has turned into a iron skillet type of finish, dark, clean...I'm really happy with it. Scott

Meat Burner
04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I went with seasoning the outside of the firebox. Has turned into a iron skillet type of finish, dark, clean...I'm really happy with it. Scott

What did you do to get the those results?

jpw23
04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
What did you do to get the those results?I'd like to see that to!!!

Rockaway BeachBQ
04-10-2007, 12:36 AM
I too am fighting the battle against rust. My Klose was purchased used and rusty. My first go at it with wire brushes and steel wool did not get the rust out of the deeper pits. I may have to go at it with a wire wheel, but I know that will take some metal with the rust. I think first i will try a palm sander and coarse steel wool pads.

I am hoping to get it nice and clean and then just keep it oiled, I like the idea of cooking on top of the firebox.

Yakfishingfool
04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi guys. I oiled the hell out of it. First I wire brushed to get all losse rust paarticles off it. Then I wiped it down with a tack cloth and immedeately started applying crisco, pam in the hinges, etc. Fired a chimeny and a log and let it brew for a while. Let it sit for a few days and then fired it up again and oiled it down aggressively. Cooked some bacon on the firebox lid and let the grease really soak in. Now it's only been a week and a half, but it's got that nice iron skillet patina to it, feels slighly oily, and the rust seems to be momentarily quelled. I promise to oil it more often, and do something after most cooks while it is cooling. But if I can maintain this patina, I'll be very happy. Scott

backyardchef
04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Then I wiped it down with a tack cloth and immedeately started applying crisco, pam in the hinges, etc.

I'd be careful with the pam in the hinges, I think. It seems to eventually build up a gunky layer that mucks stuff up. I think you are better off with wd-40 for the hinges. Others may disagree, this has just been my anecdotal experience.....

Yakfishingfool
04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I thought about that and used it only once. I could see it happening after it cools, but when hot, it should be fairly liquidy (sp?) Will consider the WD 40 if I run into problems. Just didn't want the oil near the food. Also not sure how it handles significant heat. But I will learn. Scott