PDA

View Full Version : Meater Question

robert-r
02-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Am considering purchasing a Meater. From what I gather, it only has a range of 10 ft if inside a metal cook chamber. I've read that one can use an old phone to increase the distance of the broadcast. I have an old phone, but it's not on a service (Verizon or anything).

My question is: could this phone be used as such to extend the range of the Meater? I have wifi at the house. I know nothing about bluetooth. If so, how does one set this up?

Stlsportster
02-28-2018, 03:59 PM
well...i dont have a meater...so this is just a guess...but i am pretty technical so i think this is correct.

The meater probe would connect to your old phone via bluetooth...pretty short range. The old phone would connect to your house wifi, and which has a farther range, and will also allow you to access the data from any internet connected device.

robert-r
02-28-2018, 04:32 PM
well...i dont have a meater...so this is just a guess...but i am pretty technical so i think this is correct.

The meater probe would connect to your old phone via bluetooth...pretty short range. The old phone would connect to your house wifi, and which has a farther range, and will also allow you to access the data from any internet connected device.

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Wish to see what others have to offer.

vrinner
02-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Meater app installed on my iPad and on my Android phone.

With both devices, the app connection via bluetooth is about 10-15 feet with the lid closed on the grill. (The iPad was on one Wifi SSID and the Android was on another SSID)

I then connected the iPad to the same SSID as my Android device. I left the android device next to the grill. Took the iPad in the house (50 feet and a door and a few walls away) and the iPad was able to display the Meater app properly.

robert-r
02-28-2018, 06:29 PM

With both devices, the app connection via bluetooth is about 10-15 feet with the lid closed on the grill. (The iPad was on one Wifi SSID and the Android was on another SSID)

I then connected the iPad to the same SSID as my Android device. I left the android device next to the grill. Took the iPad in the house (50 feet and a door and a few walls away) and the iPad was able to display the Meater app properly.

Nice! Thanks so much.

djqualls
02-28-2018, 08:25 PM

Well at least you got yours! I’ve bought mine (meager block) a couple years ago and still don’t have it.

robert-r
02-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Wasn't asking about the block, djqualls.

THoey1963
03-02-2018, 12:18 AM
I must apologize for my friend. Some of us are still a little butt hurt that we haven't got our blocks yet. I am hopeful that I will see it this year.

SmoothBoarBBQ
03-02-2018, 07:35 AM
As others have stated neither of your devices need to be "active" in the sense of having a carrier. They do both need to be Bluetooth and wi-fi ready though... I think 99.9% of smart phones are in this category, even if they're old.

I use a ~5 year old Google tablet to sit out by the smoker (inside Tupperware) and then I use my phone inside the house to receive the signal. Good thing is this functionality is built into the app and very easy to use. I have also found the app to take up very little battery power on the tablet or phone. I have done 18+ hour brisket cooks on my MEATER and never lost connection / had a dead battery.

robert-r
03-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Can't get the meater app transferred to my wife's old phone (it has no internet). Bluetooth failed using apkextractor. Downloaded a free trial of Wondershare Mobile Trans & it can't install a driver on the phone. It's a Motorola XT1032.

Ideas anyone? Does the meater app need to be on the old phone?

vrinner
03-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Can't get the meater app transferred to my wife's old phone (it has no internet). Bluetooth failed using apkextractor. Downloaded a free trial of Wondershare Mobile Trans & it can't install a driver on the phone. It's a Motorola XT1032.

Ideas anyone? Does the meater app need to be on the old phone?

That phone should have WiFi. Connect it to your home wifi, go to the google app store and download the meater app. It should work....and the old phone does need to have the meater app in order to get the extended range.

robert-r
03-02-2018, 12:55 PM
That phone should have WiFi. Connect it to your home wifi, go to the google app store and download the meater app. It should work....and the old phone does need to have the meater app in order to get the extended range.

THANK YOU!!! Worked like a charm.

pjtexas1
03-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Here you go.... :heh:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180302/5e828ce64e15c7202df9a82688159306.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robert-r
03-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Here you go.... :heh:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180302/5e828ce64e15c7202df9a82688159306.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Methinks apples & oranges are getting mixed up here.

THoey1963
03-04-2018, 01:04 PM
No, Paul was responding to my "butthurt" comment. :)