PDA

View Full Version : 2 NY Strips: Whats your advice?

tom288
04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
I have 2 good sized NY Strips to cook, I usually just pat em down with some salt and pepper and grill em. I have some wine oak barrel wood chips I might soak and throw on the coals this time, anybody ever done that?

Other than that, how do you like to grill your steaks, Im open to trying something different here.

Mooner
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I grill mine over extremely high heat for about a minute per side. Then indirect heat until done. I have heard of guys smoking steaks for 15-20 minutes on very low heat then grilling for the char.

Kirk
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
S & P is the only thing I put on my steaks, sometimes I rub them with a crushed garlic clove too. That's it. High heat for good color on both sides, move it off the high heat if it's a really thick cut until it's medium rare, lest it rest for a few minutes and dig in. Be sure to have beer and a baked potato on hand and you're all set.

Smokin Gator
04-02-2007, 02:20 PM
I put the charcoal grate on a coffee can inside the Weber Kettle. Ash over a full chimney of briqs and pour them on the grate. Put the cooking grate and lid on. Let coals burn another 15 minutes or so. While I am doing that I rub the steaks heavily with butter. Then a spinkle with garlic salt and black pepper. Then I put 'em on the grill for a few minutes a side depending on the thickness. What I try for is a charred outside and a rare inside.

Pull 'em off and let 'em rest for at least 5 minutes *** that is really important or all of that juice will run out when you cut it.

RichardF
04-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Kiss Rule for steaks - I'd recommend doing it just the way you like to. I find that I get a much better crust on the steak if I pat the surface dry and don't add the kosher salt until right before I throw the steak on the grill. I pat-on more salt then I think most people think you would need. I like to rotate the steak 90* half-way thu each side's cooking time so that I get the checker-board grill marks and sear more surface area. I do them over high-heat for the full cook. Depending on thickness and grill temp it's typically 4 to 8 minutes a side. I like my steaks Pittsburgh style, but that's hard to do well at home. If I'm grilling over coals from logs (mesquite) i notice the flavor of the wood, but when I add chips to food that I'm grilling fast over high heat I don't real find it adds much. Rest-time is important. Last thing - Don't cook them past medium rare :wink:

Mooner
04-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Pull 'em off and let 'em rest for at least 5 minutes *** that is really important or all of that juice will run out when you cut it.

This is very true. There are so many people who do not follow this step. They think as soon as the meat comes off the grill they have to eat it so it's hot. I'll tell you what really drives me nuts is when people cut into meat to check for doneness..:eek:

Arlin_MacRae
04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
This is very true. There are so many people who do not follow this step. They think as soon as the meat comes off the grill they have to eat it so it's hot. I'll tell you what really drives me nuts is when people cut into meat to check for doneness..:eek:

And what's the first thing they say? "This is the driest meat I've ever eaten!" ;)

TheArtfuldodger
04-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I like to grill my stakes on a very hot lump fire. My favorite stake is a Porterhouse. I grilled these two 40 oz Porterhouse the other night. I did not put anything on the steaks and grilled them 10 minutes per side over direct heat, only turning once. They were a nice med rare.
:icon_cool :icon_cool :icon_cool
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/ghholt/slicedporterhouse.jpg

Mooner
04-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Boy, now that looks good. The problem with my grill is it gets so damn hot I can only do about 30 seconds to a minute on each side to keep it from burning. I cook on my Good-One in the front chamber then I just finish indirect.

tom288
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
for the butter, should I just let it sit out and then spread it on the meat? It wont cause flare-ups when Im cooking them direct?

Kirk
04-02-2007, 03:23 PM
If I put butter on a piece of beef, I put it on as it's resting tented with foil, not while it's cooking. It doesn't really have to be softened first.

Azinine
04-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Pretty much what others have said. I put a little bit of olive oil and then salt/pepper. I sear for a couple of minutes on each side over HOT coals (lump charcoal). Then move to indirect heat until done. It depends upon the desired doneness but I usually cook another 10-ish minutes on indirect heat for medium rare.

EDIT: Oh yeah, tent with foil and let rest for about 10 minutes. This makes a big difference.

Greendriver
04-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I have 2 good sized NY Strips to cook, I usually just pat em down with some salt and pepper and grill em. I have some wine oak barrel wood chips I might soak and throw on the coals this time, anybody ever done that?

Other than that, how do you like to grill your steaks, Im open to trying something different here.

Cavenders is a purdy good steak rub and easy to find. I noticed you got a one touch and wsm - can you do a steak on the wsm as well as the other?

tom288
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I go to school at UF and only have the One-touch with me down here, the WSM is back home in Jax.

jsimonson0
04-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Man, now I gotta go stop at my butcher store and get a freshly-cut ribeye for dinner tonight. And maybe another swiss steak for smoking purposes. Which means I'm definitely lifting some iron tonight, so it's not all bad!

nmayeux
04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Rub with salt and freshly ground pepper, let come to room temp, and grill 4 minutes per side over a really hot lump fire or gasser set to high. Oh yeah, keep a side arm handy to shoot the maroon who gets anywhere close with steak sauce...

Smokin Gator
04-02-2007, 04:20 PM
for the butter, should I just let it sit out and then spread it on the meat? It wont cause flare-ups when Im cooking them direct?

I put the butter on there so it WILL cause a flare up. I love the charred outside rare inside (Pittsburgh) style of steak.

CajunSmoker
04-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Rub with salt and freshly ground pepper, let come to room temp, and grill 4 minutes per side over a really hot lump fire or gasser set to high. Oh yeah, keep a side arm handy to shoot the maroon who gets anywhere close with steak sauce...

Yeah, what he said:biggrin:

nmayeux
04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
I put the butter on there so it WILL cause a flare up. I love the charred outside rare inside (Pittsburgh) style of steak. I've heard it called Pittsburgh style before, but I just call it Mayeux style!:twisted: Anyway, that is the way I prefer to eat a good cut of steak. CS, you are killing me!

Bigdog
04-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Try cooking over Mesquite if you have not done that yet.
Also, putting a tablespoon or so of compound butter (butter and garlic) after removing adds a lot of flavor and juiciness.

smokinbadger
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Kiss Rule for steaks - I'd recommend doing it just the way you like to. I find that I get a much better crust on the steak if I pat the surface dry and don't add the kosher salt until right before I throw the steak on the grill. I pat-on more salt then I think most people think you would need. I like to rotate the steak 90* half-way thu each side's cooking time so that I get the checker-board grill marks and sear more surface area. I do them over high-heat for the full cook. Depending on thickness and grill temp it's typically 4 to 8 minutes a side. I like my steaks Pittsburgh style, but that's hard to do well at home. If I'm grilling over coals from logs (mesquite) i notice the flavor of the wood, but when I add chips to food that I'm grilling fast over high heat I don't real find it adds much. Rest-time is important. Last thing - Don't cook them past medium rare :wink:

Pittsburgh style? Can you elaborate?

The_Kapn
04-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I think Smokin Gator kinda did that, could be wrong.

"I put the butter on there so it WILL cause a flare up. I love the charred outside rare inside (Pittsburgh) style of steak."

Sounds like "cajun", blackened, or "whatever", but a cute name anyway.

I did two pork chops that way tonight--never thought to name the process :oops:

TIM

icemn62
04-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Try cooking over Mesquite if you have not done that yet.
Also, putting a tablespoon or so of compound butter (butter and garlic) after removing adds a lot of flavor and juiciness.

This is the way I prefer to cook a steak

Smokin Gator
04-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Pittsburgh or sometimes called Black and Blue is a way to order a steak as you would with medium or medium rare. It is charred on the outside and rare on the inside.

As Richard posted it is not that easy to do unless you are cooking over an open flame. The only way I have been able to do it is to have the coals really close to the steak and make them flame up by using butter. A fat filet done this way is farkin awesome!!!