PDA

View Full Version : Oil slather made my brisket bitter

BriGreentea
02-13-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm a mustard slather guy...use it on bbq beef, ribs and chicken. I love how the rub sticks to it, how I get a nice bark and believe the vinegar in the cooking process is a slow tenderizer.

I used to use olive oil and don't remember getting decent results and banned it from steak on my stove or bbq because of the low smoke point. I tried vegetable oil on my brisket and once thing I notice how quickly it was cooking and almost positive it was from the oil as aside from that nothing out of the ordinary. I crutched it in butcher paper last few hours or so when I got the color I wanted like I normally do and it went from 160 to over 210 in no time. I was about 250 for most of the cook I rested it for 2 hours and separated the point and flat. It slid off easily like it's supposed to but when I went to slice the flat it shredded big time even with my new knife I bought a couple months ago.

I was able to some pieces here and there with nice slices but when I went to eat it was extremely bitter and odd tasting. I couldn't taste oil nor could I really taste the rub. Even the middle of the brisket seemed weird. I didn't even use that much of the veg oil and wondering if I ruined it by doing this even though many pitmasters use it? I'm skeptical ever trying cooking oil again and may just go back to mustard or nothing at all. Hell, even I tried mayo once and was decent.

Westx
02-13-2018, 07:05 PM
I always use EVOO and nevery had and bad taste with it. Makes me wonder if you had a bad piece of meat.

Beentown
02-13-2018, 07:10 PM
I always use EVOO and do a few hundred pounds of brisket a year, no issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Happy Hapgood
02-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Just rub or S&P for me. No juice of anykind. I tried mustard once and it's just not for me. I could taste the difference.

pjtexas1
02-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Never had issues with evo or vegetable oil. Grape seed oil is what I use now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smoke on Badger Mountain
02-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Have always used EVOO and never had a bad result. I thing you got a bad piece of meat brither.

Czarbecue
02-13-2018, 09:52 PM
I like mayo/ranch the best, no slather, then mustard. To me, oil doesn't add to the flavor profile and makes a sloppy mess. But if others are hitting it consistently, then it could be the particular smoke session. Or your taste buds. Test them at the NT Spring Bash :thumb:

BTW, it's wrapped in butcher paper or crutched in foil. No mixing the two :thumb:

ArnieTex
02-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Never had a problem with oil, must have been something else.

thirdeye
02-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Vegetable oil has a smoke point of 350° to 400°, so you would have never approached that.

If I'm reading this correctly at 160° internal you did a wrapped finish for 3 hours, but in "no time" (meaning at some time less than than the 3 hours?) the internal went from 160° to 210°? At the time you noticed the internal was 210° you should have pulled it as that was likely already overcooked, hence the shredding of the flat later on. But regardless, you then rested the brisket for 2 more hours... was this in a hot box or just on the counter?

I'm thinking the oil had no effect on the over-cooking, and after a wrapped finish I wouldn't expect to taste the oil either (although I've never tasted oil even on a perfectly cooked piece of meat). It's possible the wrapped finish retarded the rub flavor resulting in an overcooked flavorless piece of meat.

Cat797
02-13-2018, 10:18 PM
I always use veggie oil and prefer that to mustard. IMHO the oil is necessary to encourage the effervescence of some spices. I've never had a bad experience with it.

Ed

Pappy Q
02-14-2018, 04:45 AM
Oil didn’t work for you but mustard did....stick with the mustard

BillN
02-14-2018, 01:37 PM
I agree with the others, sounds like the problem was with the meat.

Hotch
02-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Never used oil but I've used mustard. I hated wasting the mustard and now just S&P. Next I may try Worcestershire sauce. (Yes I had to look up the correct spelling!!)
I've heard good reviews on the flavor kick.

One Drop
02-14-2018, 02:21 PM
I don't think the oil could have caused that.

Even EVOO has a decently high smoke point around 320° F for the lowest qualities up to over 400° for the best,, and refined and virgin olive oils are right up up there with the highest oils, for information's sake.

Lot's of misinformation and old canards get repeated on websites and in cookbooks, it's a pity.

RedFlowerBBQ
02-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Doesn't sound like the oil is your prob...

Smokin' Greene
02-15-2018, 09:02 AM
FIL taught me to use Italian Dressing as a marinade. I moved on to mustard for a while. Now, I use Worcestershire sauce. I prefer it on a brisket.

Battleborn
02-15-2018, 11:37 AM
How old was the olive oil? It will turn rancid

thedirtman
02-15-2018, 11:40 AM
I love to use Parkay. It slathers on great and I find the oils in the margarine works well with the meat.
Todd

fwdiii
02-15-2018, 12:10 PM
My guess is that the oil used might have been rancid, if you still have the oil, smell it. If there is a funny smell, then the oil went bad. If oil smells good, then problem might lie with the brisket you had.
I have used both the oil and mustard and for brisket, I like the oil.

Cook
02-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Fairly sure the oil wasn't your issue.

I don't slather with anything. If I feel the need for a "binder" (which I never do unless something is uncharacteristically bone-ass-dry), a simple slathering of water works wonders.