PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID

Blutch
04-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Its big trash day in my neighborhood today so I drove around looking for a weber kettle lid for my UDS. Struck out on that.. but I did see a pile of nice looking logs that are well seasoned and would make good chunks. I have NO idea what kind of wood this is.. I don't know the first thing about identifying wood once it is cut into small logs... Can anyone point me to a web resource that might help?

I think I'm going to go pick up these logs though... they look like good ones to me, but I'm not sure.

B

Kevin
04-01-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.oplin.org/tree/
http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeID.cfm
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/forsite/Idtree.htm

Blutch
04-01-2007, 04:11 PM
both of those sites require that you see what kind of leaves or fruit the tree bears... I only have a stack of logs to work with.

Thanks

B

Kevin
04-01-2007, 04:24 PM
The third one gives you an opportunity to identify by the bark. Better yet, could you post a picture here. These guys know a lot about identifying wood.

The_Kapn
04-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Have you asked the owners of the wood?
They might give you a place to at least start with type verification.

TIM

Blutch
04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Have you asked the owners of the wood?
They might give you a place to at least start with type verification.

TIM

Not possible.. it was out front of an empty house that is for sale. I picked it up and photos are coming...

I think it might be birch.. it is very smooth bark and has a red tinge to it..

B

Blutch
04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Here's the pile.

And a single log. what is it? Is it good for smoking? and does it look like it is well seasoned? The wood looks old to me.

Thanks

B

Pyle's BBQ
04-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Could you post a picture of a twig. That way a key can be used to determine the species of tree. I need to be able to see the bud scars to use a key.

Winter Tree Key (http://uptreeid.com/KeyC/c01.htm)

Kevin
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
The way it has open splits on the ends, I'd say it's been cut for awhile, definitely seasoned. I have friends bring me fresh cut sugar maple from up north. I season it until the ends just start to get small splits in them, the wood is then ready for cooking with. Let it season any longer and it's just BTUs. Good and free BTUs mind you. But not much flavor anymore, still some flavor, just not as much.

Jeff_in_KC
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm guessing maple but it also could be that damned Bradford Pear.

Bentley
04-01-2007, 07:39 PM
1st, I know nothing about identifying wood, only cooking with it's sawdust. I am sure most are going to laugh and I will be curious when it is determined what species it is, but I am gonna take a wild guess and say Walnut.

Jaberwabee
04-01-2007, 08:09 PM
That looks alot like a pear or Apricot tree from what I have seen before. Father in-law has fruit tress and has had some split from ice and that looks familiar.

Blutch
04-01-2007, 08:12 PM
most of the logs have a reddish tint to them.. does that help? I've never seen a maple with reddish bark.

How can I tell if it is good for smoking?

B

Arlin_MacRae
04-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Blutch - I have your answer! I just cooked with that stuff TONIGHT. ;)

It looks like hackberry, bro. It grows all over in the OKC area. Smooth, gray bark and it cooks like 'hickory lite'. Score!

Puppyboy
04-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Blutch - I have your answer! I just cooked with that stuff TONIGHT. ;)

It looks like hackberry, bro. It grows all over in the OKC area. Smooth, gray bark and it cooks like 'hickory lite'. Score!

Not sure about that. Does not look like the hackberry I have.

I would vote maple family. Take a piece to a green house. They should be able to help you out.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/

This is the site I use to ID wood. Click on the section to ID by name. There are bark pics listed under the tree names.

Harbormaster
04-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Looks like maple to me as well. Kind of hard to tell from the pics though.

Blutch
04-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Can you smoke with Maple? I don't hear people talk about it.

B

Harbormaster
04-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Sure you can. I don't like maple bark, but the wood is just fine. In fact I have a green ham I'm thawing that I'll somke this weekend with maple, apple, and hickory.

Bill-Chicago
04-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Can you smoke with Maple? I don't hear people talk about it.

B
Thats because people dont get much of it!!

Yes, indeed you can use it.

I wold use it on something mild, like turkey or chicken

Puppyboy
04-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I use maple and love it.

I read a book on BBQ wood a while back. What was interesting to me was it said the wood you use is based on the region you live in. You will use what is available.

For example: Maple is used more in the north east because there is plenty of it. Mesquite in the south west for the same reason.

Napper
04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Looks like one of those fast growing Poplar varieties to me.
Check the growth rings. If it has only 3-4 that would be my bet. Also burn a piece. If it goes real fast and blows embers everywhere it is most likely from the poplar family.

Bentley
04-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Did we ever determine what kind it was, if not I think we can all agree my Walnut call was correct! :grin:

Blutch
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I still don't know. But, when I got it in full sunlight the bark very red. The exact same color as red potatos.

I burned a bunch of it to burn out my barrel and it didn't seem to have much smell. Also, one of the long branches was up against the side of the barrel and there was a lot of moisture bubbling on the side of the barrel where the wood was touching it. Does this mean it isnt seasoned yet?

B

Bentley
04-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I burned a bunch of it to burn out my barrel and it didn't seem to have much smell. Also, one of the long branches was up against the side of the barrel and there was a lot of moisture bubbling on the side of the barrel where the wood was touching it. Does this mean it isnt seasoned yet?

B[/quote]

Usually means it still has moisture in it! That much I do know. Did it pop and crack alot as you burned it?

Blutch
04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
I think so.. I had some other junk wood in with it though. I'll do a clean burn with it soon and see. Any other things to look for?
B

Bentley
04-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I think so.. I had some other junk wood in with it though. I'll do a clean burn with it soon and see. Any other things to look for?
B

That's my vast knowledge of wood...I cook with sawdust and most traditionalist say that is not real wood! 8)

chinesebob
04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
It looks like a maple to me. One way I test out is to just burn one in the fire pit. I'm pretty picky about my wood. So if it's not a specific known fruit, hickory, maple, or oak, I don't use it. Fortunately in oHIo we have so much wood you can't run out if you want to.