PDA

View Full Version : besides gateway and hunsaker who else?

joeraz007
02-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Looking to buy my father a drum cooker he has a gateway and a Hunsaker that I purchased for him over the past two years. I am looking to get him another one for his b-day who else other than the two mentioned builds a quality drum?

DUBBAGA
02-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Some good suggestions in your thread from last summer
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247531

dadsr4
02-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Pit Barrel Cooker. Less flexibility in terms of temp control, but he might like it, too.

BruceB
02-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Big Poppa Smokers have finished drums and drum kits.
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/grills-smokers/drum-smokers

Bob C Cue
02-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Some good suggestions in your thread from last summer
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247531

That's quite a memory and/or great search skills!

SmittyJonz
02-07-2018, 04:24 PM
If he already has 2 Drums May be time for an Assassin Grill.........:heh:

Rockinar
02-07-2018, 04:36 PM
He probably would like to upgrade to a LSG offset now.

thirdeye
02-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Just curious why he needs a 3rd drum?

Ron_L
02-07-2018, 05:59 PM
I'm a Hunsaker fan, but if you don't mind used, Brother LTG is selling some Outsider's BBQ drums.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256667

Coat
02-07-2018, 06:27 PM
If he already has 2 Drums May be time for an Assassin Grill.........:heh:

SmittyJonz has made this the new "build a UDS." 😂

DUBBAGA
02-07-2018, 06:47 PM
That's quite a memory and/or great search skills!

:mrgreen:

I was trying to remember which Brethren was affiliated with Outsider's (LTG), and I happened to come across last year's nearly identical thread :twitch:

jermoQ
02-07-2018, 06:51 PM
That depends on who the craftiest person is that you know. UDS "brand" makes any type you want. So if you want 55 gallon and the option to grill or hang...UDS will do it

:laugh:

cheapbeer
02-08-2018, 06:02 AM
Whitewater drums in Minnesota are putting out some great drums that people up north have done well with in competition. And they are unlike the other two.

Cook'n with Wood
02-08-2018, 06:35 AM
You can’t say Whitewater is not like the other two!!! LOL

LTG
02-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Whitewater drums in Minnesota are putting out some great drums that people up north have done well with in competition. And they are unlike the other two.
Iím assuming you know the whole story on why he switched from 2 intakes to a single (wonder where he got that idea from as well)?

el luchador
02-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Just curious why he needs a 3rd drum?

last year the op started the thread and then never replied. Im going to guess the same will happen this time so let me hazard some guesses.

1.his dad cooks for large crowds and REALLY likes drums, BUT doesnt want another gateway or hunsaker :shock:

2. his dad wants a cooker to cook fish and hotdogs in and really doesnt want another gateway or hunsaker?

3. his dad collects drums and wants something different.

4. his dad wants another drum but doesnt think his son is capable of building him a drum, and he wants something different.

5. his dad is getting divorced and losing his two drums so he wants something different this time.

6. His dad has a vacation home and needs another drum but not a gateway or hunsaker!

thats it im all out of ideas.

anyone wanna throw in some theories?

Stlsportster
02-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Check out RipTangle smokers. Basically a high end square UDS. His team RippelQue places high in most of the St Louis area KCBS comps.

https://www.facebook.com/Riptangle/

https://www.facebook.com/RippelQueCompetitionBBQ/

BeardedBassGuy
02-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Iím assuming you know the whole story on why he switched from 2 intakes to a single (wonder where he got that idea from as well)?

I don't, so feel free to pm me the details...

jermoQ
02-08-2018, 09:38 AM
I don't, so feel free to pm me the details...

PM me too. You peaked my curiousity.

Rockinar
02-08-2018, 09:51 AM
With 3 drums in his backyard it must be starting to look like a toxic waste dump site. How about a nice Shirley instead?

PnkPanther
02-08-2018, 09:52 AM
I dont think the details need to be in PM

I believe whitewater was accused of ripping Hunsaker basket and I believe the poster is accusing whitewater ripping off gateway with the intakes

I do believe whitewater did have to redesign their basket

If I were to buy a drum, I'd be getting whitewater, but I'm a MN boy and they're from MN and I dont think their design is as rip off as some

Rockinar
02-08-2018, 10:58 AM
The OP the has the strangest posting history. On top of that already asked this exact question last year.

Jason TQ
02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
The OP the has the strangest posting history. On top of that already asked this exact question last year.

Ya he won't be back to this thread. Just posts to start a thread and then leaves other to discuss.........just like all the women did to me back in high school..........:twitch:

pjtexas1
02-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Ya he won't be back to this thread. Just posts to start a thread and then leaves other to discuss.........just like all the women did to me back in high school..........:twitch:
you played a lot of dungeons and dragons, didn't you???:tsk:

PnkPanther
02-08-2018, 01:18 PM

He's obviously checking for consistency of our answers

Jason TQ
02-08-2018, 03:06 PM
you played a lot of dungeons and dragons, didn't you???:tsk:

I wish I would have been that cool................:bow:

LTG
02-08-2018, 08:29 PM
I dont think the details need to be in PM

I believe whitewater was accused of ripping Hunsaker basket and I believe the poster is accusing whitewater ripping off gateway with the intakes

I do believe whitewater did have to redesign their basket

If I were to buy a drum, I'd be getting whitewater, but I'm a MN boy and they're from MN and I dont think their design is as rip off as some
Both drum and basket were awfully similar to patented designs. Hence I know at least one of the 2 had their legal teams contact them. Next thing you know their fb is wiped and then they come back with a big single intake. No originality. For the record I no longer build drums and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so they say. But wow, at least TRY to do something different.