PDA

View Full Version : MES finally took a $hit

WareZdaBeef
02-07-2018, 02:13 AM
Ive had this pos for a good 6 years. I have pretty much gutted it and used charcoal with the electric assist which i actually was pleased, as it beats having to finish off in the oven when cooks run later then expected. Well, the element finally kicked the bucket. I am debating on replacing the element, or putting a propane burner in there as a charcoal assist. Might work great as a gravity feed pellet shoot pooper.

Thoughts?

BTW, It made some killer smoked salmon for its final run today. It reached 142F internal on the salmon before i was forced to finish it off in the home oven to 150F. I have made over 100lbs of salmon in this things, and the wife and kid, said this was the best ever.

WareZdaBeef
02-07-2018, 02:43 AM
So i felt i should post farewell pics.

Czarbecue
02-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Is that your only smoker?

WareZdaBeef
02-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Is that your only smoker?

No but it was my only small smoker that i used for cold smoking salmon and beef jerky.

kingjman
02-07-2018, 01:26 PM
What's weirder(more dedicated)... Naming your smoker, or posting an obituary?

SmokinJohn
02-07-2018, 01:30 PM
What's weirder(more dedicated)... Naming your smoker, or posting an obituary?

My smokers are named, so I think the obit is weirder.

Czarbecue
02-07-2018, 04:19 PM
To answer the original question... I would do pellet pooper since that's a bit different.

smoke ninja
02-07-2018, 07:21 PM
My smokers are named, so I think the obit is weirder.

Well it would be weird not to give an obituary if they have names

rookiedad
02-07-2018, 07:25 PM
sorry about the smoker. the salmon looks great though. i am thinking of getting a little chief just for fish. i never have really done any. could you give a step by step?
thanks.

WareZdaBeef
02-08-2018, 10:38 AM
sorry about the smoker. the salmon looks great though. i am thinking of getting a little chief just for fish. i never have really done any. could you give a step by step?
thanks.

I brine my salmon in a QT of water and 1/4 cup of kosher salt for 24 hours. Then in a shallow container w/lid i lay down a bed of brown sugar at least 1/2 inch (you can add other spices you like just no salt) then lay the salmon skin side down (if skin is still on) then sprinkle another 1/2 layer on top of salmon. Put back into fridge overnight. Then a few hours before smoking, rinse the salmon, pat dry with paper towls and put on a cooling rack back in the fridge or in a cool area with a fan blowing directly on the salmon to speed up forming a thin skin on the surface (pellicle). This is important for smoke to adhere better, and also helps prevent albumin from leaking out of the salmon. Another key to prevent Albumin from leaking out is keeping the temp below 200F and gradually reaching a internal salmon temp of 150F then the salmon is done.