PDA

View Full Version : Lone Star Grillz offset owners?!!

DFoster
02-05-2018, 05:23 PM
I have finally made the decision that I am going to go with an offset over the mini-insulated cabinet. I am looking at the 1/2” firebox upgrade versus the insulated firebox. What are your temp fluctuations like and how much wood are you using for a long Brisket cook? How often are you adding logs?

If you own the 1/2”, how is the hot plate and grill top working out for you? Doing pizzas?

Thanks for your input!!

ssv3
02-05-2018, 05:49 PM
I've got the 1/4" firebox on a LSG vertical offset and on average it's a split every 30-45 mins. I don't have the grill top because I upgraded to the warming oven option so can't help you there but someone else will chime in I'm sure. I think you'll only notice savings in fuel is if you go with insulated. IIRC Chris said 1/2" FB will save you about 15% in fuel consumption compared to a 1/4".

Only fluctuation is temps starting to drop due to it being time for a new spit then it comes right back up once a new split is tossed it. It's an offset so it's not going to run precise like any other cooker but then again the temps swings are slight and don't have an effect on your cook. You just have to let her run where she's happy and my LSG VO is at 275 as is with most offsets. You can play with it but no need to IMHO.

DFoster
02-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. How do you like product put out?

dannypat21
02-05-2018, 06:14 PM
I also have a vertical offset with standard firebox. I personally feel that in the California climate you don't need to upgrade the firebox and can put that money towards other upgrades. Like Sako I am adding a split every 30 to 45 minutes. I have only used the firebox grill top a handful of times but it works great and I love having the option to use the griddle. I own 2 Weber charcoal grills so I use those for convenience on smaller cooks. If I could add something that I didn't get when I ordered I would extend the stainless steel shelf out more to hold full size aluminum pans. I love everything about the smoker, have no complaints.

ssv3
02-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. How do you like product put out?

Absolutely love it! Hands down the best bbq is off of an offset smoker. It's a bit of a work but well worth the effort.

Just make sure an offset is for you because there are instances where people bought them and realized it wasn't for them. I've got multiple grills/smokers so I put each in rotation and works great for me.

ssv3
02-05-2018, 06:22 PM
What Danny said BTW. Great point on being from southern CA we don't need more than 1/4" fb. It's freaking 85* today and has been for the past couple weeks and we're in February.

Wouldn't hurt to have a 1/2" but I thought it was pointless for me.

SmittyJonz
02-05-2018, 06:43 PM
I’d get Both........:heh: offset AND insulated cabinet.

Rockinar
02-05-2018, 07:27 PM
I don't have a LSG but have a Klose with the same fit/finish and 1/4" firebox. Add will add wood like the others every 30-45 minutes.

My opinion is a insulated or 1/2" is not needed. I've never once used my grill top. I would skip on it next time. Thats just me.

DFoster
02-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Insulated will be down the road. I have a Traeger to do my times where I need to walk away for extended times. What would you purchase first though?

DFoster
02-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Living in Fresno we get below 32 during the winter. Do you still think it wouldn’t be worth it?

Lobsterbake
02-05-2018, 07:54 PM
I have an insulated firebox on my Shirley and love how it holds heat and it doesn’t take much wood to maintain temp. I live in GA and got an insulated FB for the heat retention, paint preservation and wood savings. I think it is worth it personally for these reasons and is a one time cost spread out over years of benefit. I would guess it saves at least 30% on wood.

JokerBroker
02-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Living in Fresno we get below 32 during the winter. Do you still think it wouldn’t be worth it?

I guess you have to ask yourself how many times do you see yourself using it on the coldest days of the year. I used my offset on a 5° day once because I promised my guests I'd make a brisket and over a 9 hour cook, I may have used one or two extra splits. At that rate, you need to do a lot of cooks to pay for an upgraded firebox. Considering where you live, I don't think it is worth it. Now, if you are already ordering every other option they offer and you still have money burning a hole in your pocket, than upgrade the box. I can see ordering an insulated firebox if you have young children that might be walking near the pit but that's about it. As far as the grill top feature or cooking a pizza, I don't use the offset since I have a Big Green Egg. Temperature control for grilling and the cleanup time is better on the Egg. I have occasionally used the offset grill if I am already smoking something and I want a snack but I could have lived without that feature. If this will be the only outdoor cooker you own though, I'd say you might use it more than most of us who have other options.

OklaDustDevil
02-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Some folks order thicker or insulated fireboxes so the outside stays cooler and maybe the paint finish will stay nicer, and I guess I understand that. But I've never understood ordering it that way to save on wood. In the first place, cash in hand up front should be worth more than some perceived savings in wood use, a little here and a little there, over the coming years. But more importantly, IMHO at least, the whole purpose and function of an offset stickburner is to smoke meat with wood smoke. Given that, I just don't understand spending more money to design and build it in such a way that it will smoke less by burning less wood.

Of course, you don't want something thin, cheap, or low quality, that won't hold a temp or provide you a quality experience using it. But something 1/8 to 1/4 usually does great.

I do think something thicker or insulated might be useful to counter really cold climes, but not in Fresno. I've used mine in rain, cold, sleet, and snow and never had an issue. So my 2 cents (and that's all it's worth) would be to stick with 1/4 and use the 1/2 or insulated charges for savings or other features.

Sid Post
02-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Some people go insulated because they have children around and don't want them to learn the hard way that a firebox is hot.

Springram
02-06-2018, 05:27 PM
I have an insulated firebox on my LSG vertical offset. Pretty much the only reason I got it was due to small grandchildren running around. Does it use less wood? I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first stick burner. I do cut my firewood into 6"-8" lengths and if cooking at 250* only have to put only one in the firebox in order to maintain it. There is no need to build/maintain anything larger than a small fire at that temp. That changes sometimes when I cook at 275*.

Another plus, I guess, is the additional preservation of the paint on the firebox.

BillN
02-06-2018, 07:31 PM
I have a HOS with warming oven and tend to run with the intake wide open/door open and she hums along at 275 to 300 with invisible smoke and add more fuel every 40 to 50 min. She runs that way regardless if the outside temp is 100+ or 35. I have 1/4" all the way. If my racks are loaded up plus a water pan she will cruise 260 to 280.

sparctek
02-07-2018, 11:45 AM
I have the 24x48 offset with the insulated firebox. I've had the cooker for about 3 years now and use it at least a couple times a month in weather ranging from 95+ degrees to below freezing, i.e. mid 20s. I can share some observations from my experience:

The cooking chamber seems to recover faster after opening the doors, this compared to previous offsets I've owned. Now, I do not specific degrees per minute type details, but to me it seems noticeable.

I add a wood every 30-45 minutes to maintain an approximate 275 degree temp in the cooking chamber. Usually one piece of wood every time I add.

My "splits" consist of a regular size split cut in half lengthwise and then each half split vertically, in essence giving me 4 pieces from one "normal" size split.

The outside of the firebox does get hot, but much less than a standard 1/4" would. The paint on the outside of the firebox looks pretty much like new after 3 years.

Living in Texas our winters are pretty mild compared to other areas of the country so to me the biggest benefit is the temp recovery from opening doors. My temp swings just seem to be less drastic.

Hope that helps.

txsmkmstr
02-07-2018, 07:48 PM
^
^
^
^
What was said there.... only difference is mine is 24x40 offset.

Having had all three (1/4", 1/2" & Insulated) I'm most pleased with the insulated version.

SmittyJonz
02-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Insulated will be down the road. I have a Traeger to do my times where I need to walk away for extended times. What would you purchase first though?

I'd get the Insulated cabinet and a cheaper offset (Like an Ok Joe Longhorn or Old Country Pecos) to decide if you like stick burning and if so upgrade in a year or 2.
If you have experience on a stickburner then get the LSG Offset since you have the Traeger........

A couple pit builders from California;

1) Bakersfield BBQ Pits
https://hqfabrication.jimdo.com/patio-smokers/

2) Schaffner Fabrication
http://www.schaffnerfabrication.com/smokers/

Also
J.H. Smokers & Welding Fabrication in Cali

http://jhsmokers.com/

https://www.facebook.com/JHFabrication/

DFoster
02-08-2018, 12:12 PM
I'd get the Insulated cabinet and a cheaper offset (Like an Ok Joe Longhorn or Old Country Pecos) to decide if you like stick burning and if so upgrade in a year or 2.
If you have experience on a stickburner then get the LSG Offset since you have the Traeger........

Also
J.H. Smokers & Welding Fabrication in Cali

http://jhsmokers.com/

https://www.facebook.com/JHFabrication/

What if you knew that this would be your last smoker purchase for a long while 7-10 years+?

DFoster
02-08-2018, 12:18 PM
I have the 24x48 offset with the insulated firebox. I've had the cooker for about 3 years now and use it at least a couple times a month in weather ranging from 95+ degrees to below freezing, i.e. mid 20s. I can share some observations from my experience:

The cooking chamber seems to recover faster after opening the doors, this compared to previous offsets I've owned. Now, I do not specific degrees per minute type details, but to me it seems noticeable.

I add a wood every 30-45 minutes to maintain an approximate 275 degree temp in the cooking chamber. Usually one piece of wood every time I add.

My "splits" consist of a regular size split cut in half lengthwise and then each half split vertically, in essence giving me 4 pieces from one "normal" size split.

The outside of the firebox does get hot, but much less than a standard 1/4" would. The paint on the outside of the firebox looks pretty much like new after 3 years.

Living in Texas our winters are pretty mild compared to other areas of the country so to me the biggest benefit is the temp recovery from opening doors. My temp swings just seem to be less drastic.

Hope that helps.

The grilling space seems to be a little deceiving from LSG’s website. How many 14-16lb briskets can you get on that thing?

DFoster
02-08-2018, 12:19 PM
^
^
^
^

Having had all three (1/4", 1/2" & Insulated) I'm most pleased with the insulated version.

How many 14-16lb briskets can you fit on your cooker?

DFoster
02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
^
^
^
^

What are your Pro’s/Con’s between all 3? Did you ever use your grill top and hot plate with the 1/4” or 1/2”?

SmittyJonz
02-08-2018, 01:23 PM
What if you knew that this would be your last smoker purchase for a long while 7-10 years+?

Have you used a stickburner before.? Suck to pop $3k on a smoker and not like it. Several on here have been there, done that. Pecos or Ok Joe Longhorn are $400........

dannypat21
02-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Have you used a stickburner before.? Suck to pop $3k on a smoker and not like it. Several on here have been there, done that. Pecos or Ok Joe Longhorn are $400........

Great point here. I had a stickburner, sold it and went to a cabinet smoker, then a WSM. I missed burning sticks and eventually bought my LSG VO. The first couple times I used the new pit I wasn't sure I made the right decision. I was exhausted after splitting logs and tending the fire, I got used to the set it and forget it. I am much busier with life now than I was before, with commuting far to work and coaching sports. I have fell back in love with burning sticks, but I plan on purchasing a cabinet smoker in the future on days where I can't tend a fire for 8 plus hours. It is also much more expensive to operate with wood prices in Southern California. If you have the time, there is nothing better than burning sticks, but it is alot more work.

SciAggie
02-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Besides surface area, is there much difference in the way a vertical offset, pipe offset, or one of the new cabinet offsets cooks? Do you see any advantage/disadvantage beyond footprint, aesthetics, and the aforementioned grid real estate?

SmittyJonz
02-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Besides surface area, is there much difference in the way a vertical offset, pipe offset, or one of the new cabinet offsets cooks? Do you see any advantage/disadvantage beyond footprint, aesthetics, and the aforementioned grid real estate?

Verticals are Slightly more efficient possibly allowing smaller fire/wood and More even temps thru cook chamber as compared to traditional offset. (Reverse flows are more even temps than traditional).

DFoster
02-08-2018, 04:27 PM

I have not, but my personality type is all in with whatever I am doing so that’s why I was looking at a stick burner versus the cabinet. I was looking at it as I don’t want to regret investing the money on a IVC smoker and not get the flavor profile I am looking for. I also thought I have a set it and forget it “smoker” ,I say that with caution, with the Traeger for those times I don’t have time to tend a fire. I already check on my Traeger constantly watching to make sure it’s doing what it should be doing since I have had some temperature issues with it, so I don’t mind the idea of tending a fire and hanging out. I keep going back and forth on the IVC versus the traditional offset and keep getting drawn back to the offset.
So is the flavor profile with the IVC that big of a difference to a stickburner?

sparctek
02-08-2018, 04:47 PM
The grilling space seems to be a little deceiving from LSG’s website. How many 14-16lb briskets can you get on that thing?

I have not had it fully loaded with brisket yet. The most briskets I have cooked at one time is 3. Two of them (about 13 lbs each) fit on one rack the 3rd one was about 15 lbs and I put that on the rack above the other 2. There was room there for a smaller brisket on the second rack.

I will say that I rotated the briskets between the 2 racks from time to time. I just felt they cooked more evenly and to my liking by rotating them.

Hope that helps...

SmittyJonz
02-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Flavor is Different not necessarily Better. The more wood chunks run in a cabinet smoker the closer the taste, but more wood means higher temps generally.
I’m All for either one as I’ll always have both a stickburner and a charcoal smoker.
You can try stickburning for $400-$500 but can’t try a Cabinet at that price.

DFoster
02-08-2018, 04:53 PM
I have not had it fully loaded with brisket yet. The most briskets I have cooked at one time is 3. Two of them (about 13 lbs each) fit on one rack the 3rd one was about 15 lbs and I put that on the rack above the other 2. There was room there for a smaller brisket on the second rack.

I will say that I rotated the briskets between the 2 racks from time to time. I just felt they cooked more evenly and to my liking by rotating them.

Hope that helps...

That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

txsmkmstr
02-09-2018, 09:00 AM
How many 14-16lb briskets can you fit on your cooker?
I've never loaded it up but would like to think 8 would be the maximum if they were trimmed properly.

Edit: The more I think about it the number is likely closer to 6 with 4 on the bottom running front to back and two on the top running left to right. You lose a little space on the top shelf due to the curve of the pipe.

txsmkmstr
02-09-2018, 09:10 AM
What are your Pro’s/Con’s between all 3? Did you ever use your grill top and hot plate with the 1/4” or 1/2”?
I NEVER did use that grill top feature... Things in and around a firebox tend to rust without a LOT of attention. That was on a 1/4" firebox, which gets blazing hot to stand next to - instant burn if you simply brush up by it. This particular pit was just too small for my purpose.

The 1/2" F/B was about the same but did not have the grill top as most 1/2" upgrades kill that feature. Still got raging hot and had to fabricate a heat deflector to take advantage of the "utensil hooks" the pit manufacturer installed 3" away from the F/B. This particular pit was just too large for my purpose.

The cabinet smoker... well, I liked the exterior never got hot enough to burn you but ultimately decided that charcoal and smoldering wood chunks were not the flavor profile I preferred. This after a three year run so it wasn't a quick decision to go back to an offset.

So... After ten plus years in this hobby I finally figured out what I wanted and got LSG to build it for me. Over one year later the firebox still looks brand new, the fun factor is there, the pit is easy to run and the flavor profile is spot on for my tastes.

Hope this helps.

Dinkle
02-09-2018, 09:45 AM
I got a 20x48 LSG with the 1/2 inch upgrade and grill top firebox. I wanted the increased firebox life with the half inch upgrade. I can fit two 15 pound packers on it.

DFoster
02-09-2018, 10:58 AM
I NEVER did use that grill top feature... Things in and around a firebox tend to rust without a LOT of attention. That was on a 1/4" firebox, which gets blazing hot to stand next to - instant burn if you simply brush up by it. This particular pit was just too small for my purpose.

The 1/2" F/B was about the same but did not have the grill top as most 1/2" upgrades kill that feature. Still got raging hot and had to fabricate a heat deflector to take advantage of the "utensil hooks" the pit manufacturer installed 3" away from the F/B. This particular pit was just too large for my purpose.

The cabinet smoker... well, I liked the exterior never got hot enough to burn you but ultimately decided that charcoal and smoldering wood chunks were not the flavor profile I preferred. This after a three year run so it wasn't a quick decision to go back to an offset.

So... After ten plus years in this hobby I finally figured out what I wanted and got LSG to build it for me. Over one year later the firebox still looks brand new, the fun factor is there, the pit is easy to run and the flavor profile is spot on for my tastes.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Thank you for all the input and wisdom, I really appreciate it.

DFoster
02-09-2018, 11:12 AM
I got a 20x48 LSG with the 1/2 inch upgrade and grill top firebox. I wanted the increased firebox life with the half inch upgrade. I can fit two 15 pound packers on it.

Do you use the grill top? And if you do, how do you like it? Or do you wish you would have just gotten the insulated firebox?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dinkle
02-09-2018, 11:49 AM
I used to grill with old smokey and weber kettles I don't anymore because I only grill with my LSG. The dual rack levels in the firebox let you sear and roast your Meats perfectly

charcoalwilly
02-09-2018, 06:02 PM
DFoster - I recently went though same LSG decision and opted for the 1/4. I actually explored buying without the griddle/grill top and lid because it seemed like yet another area for rust to collect. But then couple of guys reminded me that the griddle top serves another purpose which is to act as heat buffer, protecting the paint on top of firebox from burning off.

So the standard option of griddle/grill top is basically giving you 1/2 thick steel on top of firebox at no additional charge. The other aspect is that you are adding a lot of weight with 1/2 or insulated. Now think about how long it takes to heat up all that steel on a cold day! Just a thought...

Ruben Cortinas
02-09-2018, 07:07 PM
I have the 24/60 with the 1/2 upgrade and am well satisfied with the extra thickness. I have noticed a small saving of a stick or two over a 10-12 hr cook. It doens really well at retaining and recovering temp. I used it on New Year’s Eve when it was 15f with the wind from the north at night and it held I own. I use then grilling top every once in a while as it is a easy to use and maintain. Buy
What you will want now as you will always have that maybe I should have thought

Baychilla
02-16-2018, 03:18 PM
I also have a vertical offset with standard firebox. I personally feel that in the California climate you don't need to upgrade the firebox and can put that money towards other upgrades. Like Sako I am adding a split every 30 to 45 minutes. I have only used the firebox grill top a handful of times but it works great and I love having the option to use the griddle. I own 2 Weber charcoal grills so I use those for convenience on smaller cooks. If I could add something that I didn't get when I ordered I would extend the stainless steel shelf out more to hold full size aluminum pans. I love everything about the smoker, have no complaints.

Which part of California climate? Around SF I have constant thick fog and wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gracebbq
11-25-2020, 04:18 AM
Do any of you guys know if the insulated fire box option will increase time between adding splits?

txsmkmstr
11-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Do any of you guys know if the insulated fire box option will increase time between adding splits?

An insulated F/B shouldn't change the rate of burn so I'd say "no". It's likely a smaller fire will be needed when compared to a standard box - that may actually require more frequent addition of splits to maintain your coal base. I add a small split about every 30 minutes with my insulated F/B set up. Simply put, you'll use less wood in the long run.

Kai Yaker
11-25-2020, 11:11 AM
This pitmaster talked about the pros/cons of insulated verse partially insulated fireboxes. I thought it was pretty good. His fire management lesson is also on point.

Cheers

Yaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF20JGAT5K0