PDA

View Full Version : Brisket still ok to cook?

alecksjaycubs
02-02-2018, 08:38 PM
So I went to the basement fridge for the first time in awhile and found a brisket that has been in there for awhile. It has a use by date of 12/8/17. Not sure when it was packed. Always been in the fridge. Cryovac looks good. I know guys have gone 45 days but I feel like this may be pushing it?

Joshw
02-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Open it up, if it doesn't smell bad, it will be fine.

Burnt at Both Endz
02-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Open it up, if it doesn't smell bad, it will be fine.

If it's a little musty, rinse it and see if it still has a bad smell!

If it's bad the whole damn room will know it.:biggrin1:

Norm
02-02-2018, 08:52 PM
Yep rinse it and give it the smell test. Keep in mind that an aged primal cut will be "beefier" in smell. Anything else than that it's a bit more money for an ER visit.

smoke ninja
02-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Interesting read on a one year wet aged brisket

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-year-old-brisket/amp/

From the article:

We agreed to wait the full year before smoking the other one, but I wanted to talk with Dr. Savell at Texas A&M’s Rosenthal Meat Center before proceeding. He said to look out for obvious signs like a green color in the meat or mold growth, and to make sure the bag hadn’t puffed up as a result of bacteria growth. Once I opened the bag, he expected it would smell rancid from lipid oxidation, essentially rotten fat. Fat goes rancid through oxidation. Storing in cryovac keeps out the oxygen, and prevents spoilage, so the Yearling (as I had come to start calling it) might be in the clear. Still, Savell couldn’t really tell me what to expect because, as he said, “Nobody would be wet-aging something that long.”

el luchador
02-02-2018, 09:15 PM
itll probably be the most tender brisket you ever made.

Jason TQ
02-02-2018, 09:22 PM
I've gone 2 months on many briskets and a little over 70 days on my longest ones. All were great. If they smell awful after a rinse then pitch :-D

mtmota
02-02-2018, 10:24 PM
Iíve done one between 40-50 days.. Cryovac was still good. A little smell... rinse off, Dry it.. cook it... family ate .. friends ate.... No one had a problem...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

THoey1963
02-03-2018, 02:52 AM
Well? Did you die???

Schmoke
02-03-2018, 05:13 AM
There would be no way to answer that in the positive.

mtmota
02-03-2018, 07:20 AM
That last post was under the influence of a 30oz yeti cup full of Mex martinis. The brisket was in the top 5 of the last years cook... The wet age definitely changed the texture and not in a bad way, but different than how a brisket usually turns out..... with that in hand I comfortably will buy a brisket and have in the fridge and cook it a month later....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

alecksjaycubs
02-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Well? Did you die???

Ha! Not yet but I havenít taken it out yet! Hopefully the snow tapers off in the AM. Thatís my plan so far.