PDA

View Full Version : Lodge sportsman’s grill

aerotech11
02-01-2018, 10:34 PM
I have a chance to pick up a lodge cast iron sportsman grill for cheap and was wondering if any of you had any experience with it. Looks like a good little grill and I do like all my other cast iron pans and D.O’s. Thanks.

Joshw
02-01-2018, 10:53 PM
It's basically a cast iron Hibachi grill. I have looked at them a couple of times for taking fishing, but never pulled the trigger. Mainly due to price. They run around $100 and you can get a smokey joe for $30. If I could get one cheap, I would jump. Would be a perfect camping grill for a couple of people, or even for grilling a couple of steaks at home.

cowgirl
02-01-2018, 10:55 PM
They are good little grills. Heavy duty!

sudsandswine
02-01-2018, 11:11 PM
I have one. My complaint is they take forever to cool off, if you use too much fuel they will burn the outside of a thicker piece of meat before cooking the inside (adjust your trim accordingly), and they can be a pain to clean especially when not well seasoned. I would probably part ways with it if someone offered me 50 bucks.

Czarbecue
02-01-2018, 11:37 PM
I liked mine when I had it. It lost its spot on my patio to my Smokey Joe. It’s good for a one person job and that’s about it. They also make a matching oval cast iron Dutch oven for it as well!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180202/a480f1ec93c830f0f9763ce514a99a7f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180202/b92e94ad140ae2bd74fc8912b82a5822.jpg

TravelingJ
02-01-2018, 11:48 PM
^ You have a lot of cups.

Czarbecue
02-01-2018, 11:59 PM
Hey, they’re free at work. I used it to eat my chips.

dwfisk
02-02-2018, 05:28 AM
I carry one in our motorhome, great for searing a couple steaks, cooking burgers or chicken for 2-3.

bonehead762
02-02-2018, 08:52 AM
I'd never seen one of those before. I have some Lodge items but didn't know about the little grill. Very cool.

aerotech11
02-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the input. I have looked at them before but didn't seem worth it for steep price. I know a guy getting rid of one for $10 so thought what the heck. I'll get it and if I don't like it I will re-sell it.

gsmith
02-02-2018, 09:22 AM
I have one and like it. One note of caution... the door to the vent can get a little warm so you might want to put some gloves on or use a spatula to slide it

Smoke Dawg
02-02-2018, 09:40 AM
$10 is a steal

I should use mine more

Sid Post
02-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the input. I have looked at them before but didn't seem worth it for steep price. I know a guy getting rid of one for $10 so thought what the heck. I'll get it and if I don't like it I will re-sell it.

That's a no brainer! I love mine. If I pack it tight I can get ~6 chicken thighs on it though, typically I'm just cooking for myself.

A few pieces of chicken, a couple burgers or, best of all a nice Bison steak are what my Sportsman Grill was made for.

A handful of briquettes and few fallen pecan branches with a Bison Ribeye is hard to beat in my book, especially when traveling for work. Sure it's a bit heavy but, my pickup doesn't care! Smokey Joes are pretty good too but you can't get the sear you do with the Sportsman Grill.

If it was in good shape (not rusted all to hell), I'd easily give $30 for it myself. More than $50 starts to get a bit iffy for me as I got my nearly new 14" WSM for $70. While I can't 'sear' in the WSM like I do on the Sportsman Grill, it is more versatile for me in general with what I cook.

While not a 'pizza' cook myself, I can definitely get the Sportsman Grill a lot hotter than a Smokey Joe.

Sopchoppy
02-03-2018, 05:51 AM
I use mine a lot, when I want that charcoal taste. As for cleaning, Put HD foil in the bottom of the fire bowl makes it easy. As for the grate, I flip it over when through with the cooking and let the charcoal heat do the cleaning.

IXL
02-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Ours finds much use for grilling satays.

-HAZARD-
02-04-2018, 01:00 PM
I've had mine for about a year. Really, I bought it for what I'll call the 'nostalgic factor'.

It's just a fun little grill to operate, and has a vintage-esk appeal to it.

I tend to only use it for purposes of like you would need if you went to a Japanese Hibachi Restaurant. So, marinated strips of various meats...where you want it over intense quick charring heat. That sort of thing. It's a fun little grill to hang out with, beer in hand and a few quests watching over while you're preparing their meal.

It definitely is a hot running grill, as the grill area is very close to the coals. Not very efficient. Heavy as heck to lug in and out. Can't be extinguished. Looks well worn after little use. Not easy to deal with getting the ash cleaned out of it [a wet/dry vac is what I use once completely cooled]. The grill area is small, so figure only about 3-4 people eating from it [while only preparing protein].

Wouldn't ever consider this a camping stove of any sorts. Just to clumsy and heavy to deal with, even for car camping.

All that said....I still love it for my intended use.

aerotech11
02-04-2018, 02:12 PM
I've had mine for about a year. Really, I bought it for what I'll call the 'nostalgic factor'.

It's just a fun little grill to operate, and has a vintage-esk appeal to it.

I tend to only use it for purposes of like you would need if you went to a Japanese Hibachi Restaurant. So, marinated strips of various meats...where you want it over intense quick charring heat. That sort of thing. It's a fun little grill to hang out with, beer in hand and a few quests watching over while you're preparing their meal.

It definitely is a hot running grill, as the grill area is very close to the coals. Not very efficient. Heavy as heck to lug in and out. Can't be extinguished. Looks well worn after little use. Not easy to deal with getting the ash cleaned out of it [a wet/dry vac is what I use once completely cooled]. The grill area is small, so figure only about 3-4 people eating from it [while only preparing protein].

Wouldn't ever consider this a camping stove of any sorts. Just to clumsy and heavy to deal with, even for car camping.

All that said....I still love it for my intended use.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Buy it more for nostalgia sake as it is quite small but looks like it would be a fun little grill. I do love all the cast iron I already have so figured what the heck. I’m glad to see so many of you guys have one though. That speaks volumes. Thanks for all the input.

IXL
02-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Maybe its not the greatest for car camping but we think its da' bomb for truck camping: we have the room, and the weight is a non-issue.
It does help if one keeps the foods thin and quick-grilling for best results, although we have done thick steaks by frequently turning.

McSpazatron
02-04-2018, 08:16 PM
I like mine.

They are very nice to use as a sturdy "burner" for pan frying outdoors. Granted, it may be over complicating things to fry with a charcoal fire, but sometimes that's exactly what I want to do.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t658/cgjunk/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0424_zpsihhnv8it.jpg

They excel at putting a nice char anything cooks quickly. Skirt steak for tacos or kabobs are made for this thing. Much more efficient than firing up a larger charcoal grill for the quick stuff. Sometimes I'll even use it in the fireplace in the middle of winter whenever I need a grilling fix.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t658/cgjunk/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0432_zpsxjqywlmk.jpg

Ronwig
02-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Its great for steak...pretty much the only thing i cook on it. Great little grill. :thumb:

RedFlowerBBQ
02-05-2018, 05:12 PM
I have one its great... pretty small cooking area so direct grilling only pretty much although I did manage a semi reverse sear on a ~ 3lb tri-tip once and that turned out ok.

vhram
02-06-2018, 09:00 PM
I picked up one tonight, brand new in box never used $32.00 at local Goodwill.

tom b
02-06-2018, 09:51 PM
I had it was cool but sold mine, it didn't get much use.

Piggysquealers
02-07-2018, 12:42 AM
They are awesome

ironmanerik
02-07-2018, 01:33 AM
"Sometimes I'll even use it in the fireplace in the middle of winter"

and sometimes inside the garage with the door closed

McSpazatron
02-07-2018, 08:32 PM
"Sometimes I'll even use it in the fireplace in the middle of winter"

and sometimes inside the garage with the door closed

It was drizzling outside man...drizzling!

:mrgreen:

mbshop
02-08-2018, 03:00 AM
I got one for 25 bucks at wm long ago. I really don't use
it much at all as I use my weber go anywhere the most. But I have no plans to ever get rid of it. You can use the grate on a wga to get some great sear marks. Either way, you can't go wrong if you can find one at a decent price.

Bbq_lover
02-08-2018, 11:08 PM
I love mine. Since it’s just me, I put a potato in with the coals to cook. If you really need to control heat, it’s all about how much charcoal you use. Sometime I put the coals over to one side so I have a cool zone. You can also get creative by using aluminum foil to create a lid to put on top, just crinkle it. Up between the grill and the grate to make it hold.