PDA

View Full Version : Black Warrior Smokers

tbaker30
01-17-2018, 08:26 AM
Have been looking at offset stick burners especially Lang and Shirley Fab. Was looking around craigslist this morning and came across Black Warrior Smokers. Seems reasonably priced. Curious if anyone has any knowledge or experience with them. Thanks in advance for any input!

Richard_
01-17-2018, 08:49 AM
Look pretty nice http://blackwarriorsmokers.com/

midwestmindz
01-17-2018, 08:53 AM
These are built in Indiana
https://outlawbbqsmokers.com

tbaker30
01-17-2018, 09:00 AM
These are built in Indiana
https://outlawbbqsmokers.com

Thanks for the info. I will look into them. I live about an hour and a half south of their location.

SmoothBoarBBQ
01-17-2018, 11:55 AM
This forum is funny sometimes. A guy is asking about smokers from a particular company in the ~$2500 region, but somehow is directed to a different company which is at least twice the price.

I've heard some stories about Black Warrior Smokers and from what I've heard they are decent enough smokers for the price. Weld pron these are not, but BBQ is meant to be simple anyways. As long as the welds hold and don't rust I think they're acceptable.

Any particular model which has peaked your interest?

Pig_Farmer
01-17-2018, 12:25 PM
I was looking at these a little while ago. Tha Apache in particular. Was real close to pulling the trigger but found n East Texas Smoker on Craigslist for a price that I couldn't pass up.

They seem like a good smoker for the price.

tbaker30
01-17-2018, 12:49 PM
This forum is funny sometimes. A guy is asking about smokers from a particular company in the ~$2500 region, but somehow is directed to a different company which is at least twice the price.

I've heard some stories about Black Warrior Smokers and from what I've heard they are decent enough smokers for the price. Weld pron these are not, but BBQ is meant to be simple anyways. As long as the welds hold and don't rust I think they're acceptable.

Any particular model which has peaked your interest?

The one I was looking at was the apache. I visited the website I was directed to and didn't see a specific price on anything but just by looking at it I assumed it would be in the $4000+ range which doesn't really interested me. Just looking for something middle of the road price wise that has some decent size to it and that I can tow around.

pjtexas1
01-17-2018, 12:56 PM
The one I was looking at was the apache. I visited the website I was directed to and didn't see a specific price on anything but just by looking at it I assumed it would be in the $4000+ range which doesn't really interested me. Just looking for something middle of the road price wise that has some decent size to it and that I can tow around.

doesn't the Apache start at $2,350?

tbaker30
01-17-2018, 01:02 PM
doesn't the Apache start at $2,350?

Yeah that sounds right.

SmoothBoarBBQ
01-17-2018, 01:17 PM

Those Outlaw Smokers make some amazing pits but they are very high end and start at $5200 for their standard porch model.

The Apache looks like a decent piece of gear all around, and an amazing piece of gear for the price. Reverse flow, 56" long grates in a 62" smoke chamber, vertical cooking / warming box, and on a 3500Lb single axle trailer. I bought a similar capacity smoker from Johnson Smokers and it cost $4600 but mine does have an attached grill.

I would certainly give Black Warrior Smokers a call and setup a time to check out some of their stuff. Good luck and I hope it works out.

tbaker30
01-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Those Outlaw Smokers make some amazing pits but they are very high end and start at $5200 for their standard porch model.

The Apache looks like a decent piece of gear all around, and an amazing piece of gear for the price. Reverse flow, 56" long grates in a 62" smoke chamber, vertical cooking / warming box, and on a 3500Lb single axle trailer. I bought a similar capacity smoker from Johnson Smokers and it cost $4600 but mine does have an attached grill.

I would certainly give Black Warrior Smokers a call and setup a time to check out some of their stuff. Good luck and I hope it works out.

Thanks I appreciate your input. I plan on giving them a call in the near future to get some additional information.

CptKaos
01-17-2018, 02:36 PM
11 gauge firebox is pretty thin

Larry

BeardedBassGuy
01-17-2018, 06:48 PM

Larry

Yeah, roughly 1/8". Seems like it could burn out pretty quick and not be very efficient.

pjtexas1
01-17-2018, 06:53 PM

LarryI missed that but I'm guessing they can upgrade it to 1/4"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tbaker30
01-18-2018, 06:33 AM
I missed that but I'm guessing they can upgrade it to 1/4"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When I call I am going to try and get a quote on what it would cost to upgrade that to 1/4" as well. I will post on here when I find out what the cost difference is.

FrugalQ
01-18-2018, 07:11 AM
Good to see another Bloomington based brethren.

FrugalQ
01-18-2018, 07:15 AM
I’m in Bloomington too. I’ve seen some decent used builds on the Louisville and Owensboro craigslist pages from time to time. Not too far now that 69 is open.

tbaker30
01-18-2018, 07:23 AM
Good to see another Bloomington based brethren.

Yes it is. We moved about 40 minutes southwest of Bloomington a few years ago but still frequent there as much as possible. I miss living there.

FrugalQ
01-18-2018, 06:11 PM
It’s a bit of a BBQ desert here. I can get a decent selection of pellets and Weber briquettes just showed up at the Walmart here but if you like to try a lot of different rubs and sauces I’m sure you know There’s not much options. I think there’s a place in Washington if that’s close to you that has a better selection of really good stuff than I have here in b-town.

tbaker30
01-19-2018, 06:55 AM
It’s a bit of a BBQ desert here. I can get a decent selection of pellets and Weber briquettes just showed up at the Walmart here but if you like to try a lot of different rubs and sauces I’m sure you know There’s not much options. I think there’s a place in Washington if that’s close to you that has a better selection of really good stuff than I have here in b-town.

That is very true about being in a bbq desert. I am close to Washington about 15 minutes east of there. I know A&R hardware usually has a decent selection of smokers and grills. While there aren't a lot of places around for rubs and sauces I have found that Bloomingfoods out by the mall has a great selection of pretty good spices if you are in to making your own bulk rubs. Ever go to Odon Locker to pick up meat?