PDA

View Full Version : Corning briskets, then freezing ??

CentralOhioBBQ
01-15-2018, 08:41 AM
It’s a pain to constantly be bringing meat before you do some pastrami or corned beef and cabbage...For time saving sake I’m thinking about Corning a large batch of briskets, then vac sealing and freezing them. Later I would thaw and Make corned beef or pastrami - do you see any issue with this? Do others do this?

thirdeye
01-15-2018, 08:51 AM
It’s a pain to constantly be bringing meat before you do some pastrami or corned beef and cabbage...For time saving sake I’m thinking about Corning a large batch of briskets, then vac sealing and freezing them. Later I would thaw and Make corned beef or pastrami - do you see any issue with this? Do others do this?

I only "home corn" a couple each year and always cook them following the corning process. I do lots of store-bought corned briskets and with such a long use by date I normally don't freeze, but the few times I have, there have been no problems. I think if you are vacuum sealing your's there should be no problems. But I think I would freeze them overnight first on a oiled tray, then vacuum seal.... this way the vacuum process will not force out any of the corning liquid.

Jason TQ
01-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Do it! I do it a good bit and in fact have 4 butts corning right now that will get frozen next weekend. I've done it with corned briskets and chuckies too. I like having them on hand when needed.

https://i.imgur.com/5SLikxWl.jpg

zippy12
01-15-2018, 10:25 AM
I have a frozen store made CB in my freezer right now. I also want to try Corning a chuckie...

Thirdeye is right about freezing meat before vac sealing. I do this with any meats and sausage. Also when you pull the meat out to use break the vac seal before thawing. 1- you dont pull the juices out 2- you prevent possible botulism from forming...

CentralOhioBBQ
01-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Great tips guys, thanks. I’m going to corn like 100lbs of beef. Love the freezing before vacuuming strategy, good stuff!