PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have this “problem”?

electron_si
01-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Just about everything thermoworks makes, I want. I’ve been looking at the gateway for my smoke also, although I don’t really need one.

My wife has no clue how much I have tied up in temp monitors, but she likes to borrow my MK4 and pop now so I think I’m in the clear.

https://i.imgur.com/TaMpm1jl.jpg

KevinJ
01-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Nope, I've actually gone the opposite direction.

Had a Smoke I bought last January that I never used still in the box and gave it to my son for Christmas along with a Thermopop. I do have a Dot which I purchased last January as well still in the box but I do use my Thermapen for all my cooks. I like to use an analog oven therm to measure grate temps on the Weber Performer.

ssv3
01-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Nope I've actually gone the opposite direction.

Had a Smoke I bought last January that I never used still in the box and gave it to my son for Christmas along with a Thermopop. I do have a Dot which I purchased last January as well still in the box but I do use my Thermapen for all my cooks. I do use an analog oven therm to measure grate temps on the Weber Performer.

Same here! I have shied away from electronics. Only time I use them is on specialized cooks that I need to know temps.

medic92
01-14-2018, 03:51 PM
I'm also getting away from electronics. I use dial thermometers on the concession trailer to monitor food temps and just probe for tenderness on most meats that aren't poultry.

I never could bring myself to spend that kind of money on a thermometer.

KevinJ
01-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Same here! I have shied away from electronics. Only time I use them is on specialized cooks that I need to know temps.I put the the Oven therm on the Hunsaker grate yesterday just to see if they were in sync with the Exhaust therm, Exhuast therm 300, Oven therm on the grate 300.

If I did overnight cooks which I don't because I cook most of the time Hot and Fast, I would want a Smoke.

electron_si
01-14-2018, 03:55 PM
I put the the oven therm on the Hunsaker grate yesterday just to see if they were in sync, exhuast therm 300, even therm on the grate 300.

If I did overnight cooks which I don't because I cook most of the time Hot and Fast, I would want a Smoke.

I started with a DOT for overnight cooks then picked up a smoke once they came out. It’s easier to sleep when I can check meat temps from my night stand.

The pop and MK4 I use for damn near everything. Steaks, chicken, most stuff on the grill.

I’m planning on picking up a Hunsaker but once I figure out timing I’d like to get away from running probes when I can and just go HnF during normal daylight hours

16Adams
01-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Nope. Thermapen is it now. It pretty much confirms what I already think I know. Had an Igrill mini for a while. It’s gone.

ssv3
01-14-2018, 03:57 PM
I put the the oven therm on the Hunsaker grate yesterday just to see if they were in sync, exhuast therm 300, Oven therm on the grate 300.

Yep! Those are the exceptions but no need for overnight cooks unless I cook for 100-200 for work time to time.

My experience has been the same on the Hunsaker also when I first got it. Spot on.

electron_si
01-14-2018, 04:04 PM
Yep! Those are the exceptions but no need for overnight cooks unless I cook for 100-200 for work time to time.

My experience has been the same on the Hunsaker also when I first got it. Spot on.

That’s good to know. Really looking forward to picking up a hunsaker in the future.

Dweverett
01-14-2018, 04:20 PM
It's inevitable that I'll end up picking one up at some point. Haven't quite justified it as the iGrill I have is working fine. For the Rec Tec I don't always use it as the pit temp isn't an issue and checking with the thermapen is enough. For the kettle though, I like to have a way to see what it's doing (longer cooks). The dome temp isn't all that helpful as it's positioned directly over the slow and sear when I have the vent over the meat -- which is the usual setup.

KevinJ
01-14-2018, 04:44 PM
The dome temp isn't all that helpful as it's positioned directly over the slow and sear when I have the vent over the meat -- which is the usual setup.Which is exactly why I use a $4.50 Oven Therm to know where my grate temp is at. When I used a Maverick I always hated cleaning the probes, I can spray an Oven Therm down with Oven Cleaner rinse it off and it's good as new.