PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer Type and Placement for My Offset

AKMIMNAK
01-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Would I be better off sinking my cash into a couple of TelTru therms to replace the cheapies that came with my offset, OR buying one or two of those remote probes that clip to my grill surface? I'm not doing both. Too expensive.

What's your setup?

Stlsportster
01-13-2018, 03:45 PM
The gauges on the outside of the smoker are to give you an idea of the range. Temp at the grate IMO is what matters. Get a good remote probe therm. Maverick, ThermoPro, Smoke, Inkbird, Fireboard. All sorts of options at various price points.

My Lang has Tel Trus. I use the Maverick to determine temp. The Tel Trus are always higher than the bottom grate and lower than the top grate.

OklaDustDevil
01-13-2018, 03:49 PM
^^^^ I agree. If you're going to do one or the other, I would go with the probes. Plus you can get a multiple probe version so you can monitor meat temp as well as grate temp.

I bought a Smoke during the Black Friday sale, lookin forward to tryin it out.

Joe Black
01-13-2018, 04:10 PM
I have four River Country (3" x 4") two are at each end of the bottom grate and two are in the center of each top grate. These are wonderful therms, especially at the cost. Four may be overkill, but I have really had good luck with them.

Go to my avatar and click on the profile. Enlarge the cooker pic and they show up very well.

Nuco59
01-14-2018, 06:57 AM
Analog thermometers on a stick burner would suit me fine- just get me in a reasonable ballpark of temps is all I ask. I'm not baking a cake.

But I'd use a couple of digital thermometers at grate level if I were ocd about temperatures.

Ruben Cortinas
01-14-2018, 11:04 AM
I use 3 grate level probes since I have an 24/60 on the first and 3 on the second level when cooking with a full pit. I have upper and lower level ports which makes it easier..