PDA

View Full Version : Inside Round? Need advice

BeardedBassGuy
01-12-2018, 04:25 PM
The wife and I hit the semi local "salvage" grocer this morning. You know the places that sell almost expired stuff, or the unclaimed freight, overstock items, stuff like that.

I found some Blues Hog dry rub for $0. 99 each. Got 5 of those. And a 1/2 gallon of Head Country sauce for $2.

I also saw a lone cut of beef I was mostly unfamiliar with, but it was fairly inexpensive. An 8# Boneless Inside Round.

I really have no idea how to prepare the round, so I'm looking for ideas. My first instinct is to just do it like a brisket, but I'm not sure if it's got enough fat content.

Anyway, hit me up with some knowledge!

thirdeye
01-12-2018, 04:33 PM
I believe the inside round is a top round roast, just from the inside of the hind leg, not the outside. You are right about them being lean. I think I would use medium high heat and pull it around 130°. I cook rump roasts like this with good success. If nothing else you can slice it really thin and make French dip or Italian sandwiches.

thirdeye
01-12-2018, 04:37 PM
HERE (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53478&highlight=Italian) is a flashback thread from 2008 where I did a bottom round roast. Enjoy.

Joshw
01-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Round is very lean. Would not cook it like brisket. It makes great jerky. If you cook, you want to go medium rare at the most. I would cook to 135 and slice thin. I slice round thin, and use for stir fry occasionally, or tenderize and make chicken fried steak.

BeardedBassGuy
01-12-2018, 05:54 PM
HERE (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53478&highlight=Italian) is a flashback thread from 2008 where I did a bottom round roast. Enjoy.

Did you just do it in the oven like a roast?

legendaryhog
01-12-2018, 06:37 PM
I have not heard of inside round. Farkin labels always confusing. Does it look like a round tube (cylinder shape)? That would be eye of round. That's roast beef. You cook it very, very low to medium rare if so.

BeardedBassGuy
01-12-2018, 06:47 PM
I have not heard of inside round. Farkin labels always confusing. Does it look like a round tube (cylinder shape)? That would be eye of round. That's roast beef. You cook it very, very low to medium rare if so.

Nah it looks more like a regular roast

thirdeye
01-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Did you just do it in the oven like a roast?

No, on my Big Green Egg. But you could do it in an oven.

ronbrad62
01-12-2018, 08:40 PM
All of the advice you have received is solid. The inside, eye, and rump (or bottom round) all come from the same large piece (like a ham on beef), and can be cooked similarly.