PDA

View Full Version : Smoking in the cold?

Joshw
01-01-2018, 01:46 PM
At 8 degrees, I thought it would be a good time, to try out cold smoking on the YS640. As luck would have it, I had a couple of blocks of Cabot Extra Sharp cheddar left from another meal I will be posting later tonight. Filled the pellet tube up with Lumberjack Apple pellets, put the cheese on.

Here is where the problem comes in. I hooked up my maverick to monitor pit temps, and everything looked good for a few minutes, then I got an error. Messed with it for a few minutes, and then got too cold so I brought it in. After a little bit, I got it working. Put it back in the pit, and in a few minutes, it stopped working again. This time, I just brought it in, and sit it down. In a couple of minutes it was working again. Do you think it is just too cold for the Maverick to register a temp? For now I am just letting it go, and hoping for the best.

Smokiemon
01-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Honestly I would say the battery’s are just getting to cold. Never too cold to smoke:)

Czarbecue
01-01-2018, 01:53 PM
I have this off brand Redi-check that needs to b above 32F to read a temp. Maybe it’s the same thing?

Joshw
01-01-2018, 01:57 PM
I have this off brand Redi-check that needs to b above 32F to read a temp. Maybe it’s the same thing?

I think that has to be it. If it were batteries the display would turn off. Plus it works fine inside. I would think the pellet tube, would raise the temps up to at least to 32 though. I am going to let it run for a bit, and put it back in. Maybe temps will come up. There is a lot of steel on the Yoder, that it has to heat. and it is 8 degrees out. I hope that is the problem. If it is too cold for the thermometer. I don't have to worry about getting the cheese too hot.

Stlsportster
01-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Mavericks website lists the range as starting at 32. Good news is you know it's colder than that for the cheese.

When I cold smoke the tube doesn't raise temps more than 20 degrees. You need to stay below 90. I'd say you're good.

Joshw
01-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Mavericks website lists the range as starting at 32. Good news is you know it's colder than that for the cheese.

When I cold smoke the tube doesn't raise temps more than 20 degrees. You need to stay below 90. I'd say you're good.

After an hour, it is now reading temp. It has settled in at 34 degrees. So I guess it isn't freezing, and it isn't melting so I am going to let it ride.

Thanks for the input, I am guessing you are pretty spot on on the 20 degrees raise. Now I know I can cold smoke anytime it is below 65 or 70 degrees.

IXL
01-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Josh, the tubes don't add much to ambient anytime the weather is below 40°F or so. At least not in our experience.
I wanted to smoke something today but the wife wanted to go to the OKC Zoo. We were informed by staff that we were the only visitors they had, at least by the time we left. Imagine that. At least our vehicle wasn't difficult to find in the parking lot.
Also, thank you for the PM concerning the insulated jacket for the YS640.

Joshw
01-01-2018, 11:39 PM
Josh, the tubes don't add much to ambient anytime the weather is below 40°F or so. At least not in our experience.
I wanted to smoke something today but the wife wanted to go to the OKC Zoo. We were informed by staff that we were the only visitors they had, at least by the time we left. Imagine that. At least our vehicle wasn't difficult to find in the parking lot.
Also, thank you for the PM concerning the insulated jacket for the YS640.

Everyone was probably watching OU choke:mmph:

You're welcome, I have used it twice now in sub 20 temps, and I have noticed no difference in performance, or pellet consumption.

I ended up smoking the cheese for 9 hours. The Tube worked much better than I expected. It was the first time I had cold smoked with it. It was really hard to not try a piece, but I made myself vacuum seal it. If it tastes half as good as it smelled, my patience will be rewarded.

LordRiffenstein
01-02-2018, 07:06 AM
It is going to be MUCH better after a 24-48hour wait, trust me.
I recently got an Amazen tube, going to do some cold smoking later, used it to add some smoke using a Traeger and that went just fine!