PDA

View Full Version : Williams-Sanoma Lodge Cast Iron Wok

16Adams
12-29-2017, 02:24 PM
If I read correctly 20% off and free shipping on the front page of their website. Enter Lodge Wok in search bar.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/?cm_type=gnav&cm_sp=HeaderLinks-BrandLogo-_-Mobile

Jrogers84
12-29-2017, 02:45 PM
I own the 2 handle version. I think I paid 35 for it new from a restaurant supply. I was super pumped when I got it and I use it FAR less than I thought I would. Its big and gets in the way. Also takes forever to heat up....and I have one of those crazy "boil water in 30 seconds" burners

16Adams
12-29-2017, 02:58 PM
I owned a Wok years ago. Seldom used it. My big brother is a stir fry junkie and uses his many times per month. Then again he likes pineapple in his chicken stir fry.

Jrogers84
12-29-2017, 02:59 PM
You still consider him a brother? :becky:

Joshw
12-29-2017, 03:16 PM
I have the 2 handle version, and love it. I use mine on an induction burner. I don't do Chinese often, but when I do, the wok comes out. I also use it as a deep fryer, when I am not doing much food. It uses less oil than filling up a dutch oven. It is the only wok out there, that can be used on a flat surface, and still have the rounded shape on the cooking surface.

JokerBroker
12-29-2017, 03:41 PM
I don't need one...so why do I still want it? :crazy:

Joshw
12-29-2017, 03:43 PM
I don't need one...so why do I still want it? :crazy:

I hear you. Amazon had the Lodge grill pan the other day for $13. I doubt I ever use it, but I had to have it.

16Adams
12-29-2017, 03:48 PM
I’m guessing there’s some pretty cool stuff to be had. Brisket knife/ paring knives. 20% off one item free shipping. I’m going back to look around.

One Drop
12-30-2017, 04:58 AM
I use a wok a lot, but don't get the idea behind using a cast iron or otherwise heavy one. Woks are all about super high heat and multiple heat zones that you can alter instantly.

I use hand hammered carbon steel woks, they were hard to find for a while but have become easier to find again (machined ones don't hold food from slipping down the sides into the center of the pan as well, a crucial feature in stir frying on a wok).

A seasoned real Chinese wok is still one of the most impressive tools I've ever used in a kitchen, as long as you have gas burners or coals and a device to concentrate the heat from them. I actually have a three ring propane gas burner I put on my electric stovetop when cooking Chinese food, with this high heat and all the ingredients prepped I can cook four or five dishes in minutes when I have guests, and have only one pan to rinse out!

Czarbecue
12-30-2017, 09:43 AM
I bought this off Amazon about ten years ago. It's more of a fryer for me than stir frying. It takes forever to get hot enough to stir fry but works great as a frying vessel. That surface area is awesome to have.

rookiedad
12-30-2017, 09:50 AM
I bought this off Amazon about ten years ago. It's more of a fryer for me than stir frying. It takes forever to get hot enough to stir fry but works great as a frying vessel. That surface area is awesome to have.

yep, if you want a wok, do not get this! it looks like a wok but can not be used as wok should be used. pick something from here instead www.wokshop.com

cowgirl
12-30-2017, 10:56 AM
If I read correctly 20% off and free shipping on the front page of their website. Enter Lodge Wok in search bar.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/?cm_type=gnav&cm_sp=HeaderLinks-BrandLogo-_-Mobile

lol I couldn't get past the "Candles and More" section! :doh::laugh:
Thanks for the link!

RemoGaggi
12-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Cast Iron woks are a waste of money - especially from William Sonoma. If you want a wok, get a carbon steel wok. You'll still need to season it and take care of it, but over time the steel will darken and it will develop non-stick properties. Aside from being terribly over-priced, a cast iron work does not allow for the heat control that is needed for proper wok cooking. The cast iron will take forever to heat up and then won't cool off fast enough when you need to lower the heat.

Joshw
12-30-2017, 11:47 AM
I can't believe how negative the comments are on this. I haven't used this exact pan, but I have the 14" lodge. I think it is very nice pan. I agree that the hand hammered woks are better, I had one in my old house, where I had gas burners. Now I am stuck with electric glass top, and have tried several different types of woks. I don't like flat bottom woks, so I think for us poor unfortunate people, that are stuck with inferior cooktops, this is the best option I have found.

16Adams
12-30-2017, 11:48 AM
lol I couldn't get past the "Candles and More" section! :doh::laugh:
Thanks for the link!

Did they have a candle called “kiss of mesquite”

cowgirl
12-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Did they have a candle called “kiss of mesquite”

lol I didn't see one! I did receive a "campfire" scented candle for Christmas.. it's amazing! lol

I use a wok fairly often but am not sure if I need a cast iron one. My wok is light weight. They look nice and heavy duty though! Thanks for the link! :cool:

16Adams
12-30-2017, 12:00 PM
I get my Asian fix on Amarillo Boulevard East. There are multiple really good places to eat. I don’t cook Asian nor pizza. Can’t beat local 575 Pizzaria.

Czarbecue
12-30-2017, 12:09 PM
I get my Asian fix on Amarillo Boulevard East. There are multiple really good places to eat. I don’t cook Asian nor pizza. Can’t beat local 575 Pizzaria.

Is it the real stuff or the American stuff? I made the mistake of eating at a Chinese place in a small town (Paris, Texas). Panda Express was more authentic!

16Adams
12-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Real deal Mom & Pops family owned/operated

One Drop
12-31-2017, 03:15 AM
I can't believe how negative the comments are on this. I haven't used this exact pan, but I have the 14" lodge. I think it is very nice pan. I agree that the hand hammered woks are better, I had one in my old house, where I had gas burners. Now I am stuck with electric glass top, and have tried several different types of woks. I don't like flat bottom woks, so I think for us poor unfortunate people, that are stuck with inferior cooktops, this is the best option I have found.

Not being negative, just honest about what it does for me. If I'm using a wok I want high heat and the ability to drop it down instantly, otherwise I can't cook properly with it.

I had the exact problem you do with electric glass stovetops (the horror) and I simply avoided using woks at all until I decided to get a gas ring, as I cook a lot of Chinese and SE Asian food.

For you it's obviously a good choice, if it does what you want.

For anyone who is getting a hammered or machined carbon steel wok, you don't have to wait until it becomes seasoned, you heat it fully to jet black by tilting it around at intervals on the gas flame, then add a few inches of oil for a few minutes, before emptying the oil and wiping out. That's it, seasoned and ready to cook on.

Joshw
12-31-2017, 07:14 AM
Not being negative, just honest about what it does for me. If I'm using a wok I want high heat and the ability to drop it down instantly, otherwise I can't cook properly with it.

I had the exact problem you do with electric glass stovetops (the horror) and I simply avoided using woks at all until I decided to get a gas ring, as I cook a lot of Chinese and SE Asian food.

For you it's obviously a good choice, if it does what you want.

For anyone who is getting a hammered or machined carbon steel wok, you don't have to wait until it becomes seasoned, you heat it fully to jet black by tilting it around at intervals on the gas flame, then add a few inches of oil for a few minutes, before emptying the oil and wiping out. That's it, seasoned and ready to cook on.

You definitely need to preheat. I just put it on, and wait until it starts smoking. I think it gets plenty hot. It does take longer than the thin carbon woks. Just wanted to say that, for those of you with glass top stoves. As far as seasoning carbon woks, get them ridiculously hot, and stir fry green onions until they are way bast burnt. Give it a cleaning, and you are good to go.