PDA

View Full Version : Tackling First Smoked Brisket

OregonRob
12-29-2017, 12:00 PM
Hey folks. New guy here. I want to share a bit and ask some advice.

The last two years I've made a brisket on Christmas day - done on a Weber has grill, offset heat, and a between-the-bars smoker box - to great results. Not like a smoked brisket, but it was great.

This year I picked pop a WSM (18) and have been enjoying it to great success. I've done a handful of whole chickens, I am torn on if I like the chickens on a WSM vs grilled on the BBQ. They produce very good but different results.

What's without question was the turkey I made for thanksgiving. My wife bought a massive turkey, ~19 lbs, so I picked up a BGE turkey stand at a local shop, brined the turkey (first time doing that) and smoked it. I was so worried I'd ruin thanksgiving and we'd have to buy buckets of KFC, but in the end it turned out to be the single greatest turkey I've ever had! How's that for making yourself feel proud!

http://i63.tinypic.com/iyk2ft.jpg

I've also done some odds and ends, some ribs also. I smoked some peppers for hot sauce. I plan to use the new stone I got for Christmas for pizza soon as well. But my most ambitious project is the brisket, which was bumped to New Years this year. It's a large brisket and won't lay flat, so I've been scouring these forums looking for advice.

Here is what I am working with:

http://i68.tinypic.com/29535s3.jpg

The easiest method seems to be the fold method sound here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882)

I've also considered the lay-over-the-bowl method seen here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3093963&postcount=11).

I am leaning towards the fold method but plan to have a bowl on hand incase I call an audible, seeing how flexible the brisket is after unwrapping.

If you have any advice on this, I'd love to hear it.

The first thread linked above does not address the water pan (that I can see). As of now, I am considering using the minion method for coals and leaving the water pan empty / lined with foil.

Is there a flaw in this plan? It's looking to be in the 30s here during cooking time so I don't *think* I'll have a problem keeping the temp low.

Thanks everyone for looking and thanks already for the content I've been able to read!

Cook
12-29-2017, 12:51 PM
Honestly...my suggestion is for brisket, 2-ways.

First, lop of about 1/2 the flat. Freeze that portion to make corned beef for St. Patty's Day.

Then just cook the remaining brisket for your smoke. It's a big brisket...you won't miss 8" or so of that flat.

pharp
12-29-2017, 12:55 PM
I would separate and trim off the thinnest part of the flat to fit if needed.

Hinds15
12-29-2017, 01:04 PM
You could find a cheap kettle cut the bottom out and do the LBCF mod, try to find a way to hang it, or the easiest route like said above cut off enough for it to fit.

pjtexas1
12-29-2017, 01:13 PM
I would separate and trim off the thinnest part of the flat to fit if needed.

i agree. season that thin little piece and cook it next to the brisket as it will probably just crisp up anyway. makes a nice snack part way thru the cook and is probably why i don't eat a lot of brisket the day of the cook.

Rockinar
12-29-2017, 01:14 PM
I would just chop off the end of the flat till it fits.

pjtexas1
12-29-2017, 01:15 PM
don't forget that it will shrink during the cook so the bowl may not be necessary after a few hours.

Blue Kettle
12-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Go look up that Aaron Franklin video on YouTube where he shows how to trim a brisket. He cuts off quite a bit of it. Would probably help your situation and be for the good of the cook anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMgt1Altys

OklaDustDevil
12-29-2017, 07:46 PM
First, lop of about 1/2 the flat. Freeze that portion to make corned beef for St. Patty's Day.

Then just cook the remaining brisket for your smoke. It's a big brisket...you won't miss 8" or so of that flat.
^^^^^
I totally agree with this -- IMHO the best option by far. . . .

Of your two proposals, I would go with the bowl -- I can't imagine cooking a brisket folded. For one thing, I would fear it effectively would double the thickness of the meat (in terms of the surfaces from which the heat can enter the brisket) and therefore double or more your cook time.

OregonRob
12-30-2017, 12:34 AM
For using the bowl, would fat side go down? Seems the bowl might re I’ve some serious surface area where smoke can make contact. Or am I wrong?

Rockinar
12-30-2017, 02:19 AM
For using the bowl, would fat side go down? Seems the bowl might re I’ve some serious surface area where smoke can make contact. Or am I wrong?

Dont be scared to cut on it. Here's one from Truth BBQ. They cut a big part of the flat off and carved up the point to make the whole thing even in size. It almost looks like a rack of ribs its so even.

Obviously this is done to make it cook more even.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2elur7t.png

Burnt at Both Endz
12-30-2017, 08:15 AM

Fat down, you'll be scraping the fat off after the cook, so smoke or the lack of it on it, is no big deal.

OregonRob
12-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone. Wish it was Sunday night already!

OregonRob
12-31-2017, 04:06 PM
Final Q. Water or no?

Actually I decided to go yes. Well, I have about 6 hours to change my mind. Can’t wait!

guero_gordo
12-31-2017, 07:31 PM
I'd probably cut it down as well, but if I were tempted to try the bowl, I'd use a round-bottomed colander instead and spray it so it wouldn't stick.

Happy Hapgood
12-31-2017, 08:06 PM
No! No! No! I'm too late to the party but an 18.5 WSM will cook any size you want.
No water in pan for brisket. Take advantage of all the dome space with larger cuts.

18 lb full packer using the end handles to hold inside the dom with SS bowl raising it.

http://i39.tinypic.com/11943o6.jpg

Rib rack for ribs using end handles for to keep ends under the dome. Ribs or brisket, it will shrink and fit.

Good luck!

OregonRob
12-31-2017, 08:08 PM
Funny enough it fits with out much trimming. I cleaned it up this evening. It will fit between the handles with barely any scrunching after some trimming, mostly just fat and very little meat loss.

OregonRob
01-01-2018, 08:15 AM
For better or worse I used water. Going strong!

OregonRob
01-02-2018, 10:56 PM
For anyone wondering, I put it on around 12:30 and pulled off around 11:30. I let it rest for about an hour, wrapped in towels.

I then split off the point and flat, and cubes the point to make burnt ends. I used a combo of some drippings, bbq sauce, spices, brown sugar, and put the cubes back in and smoked those for I think around 3 hours.

The brisket was great. It was a bit dryer than I would have liked but wasn’t dry. Just not the best I’ve had. Flavor was great.

But the burnt ends..... wow! That was amazing. They were a huge hit with everyone!

SmittyJonz
01-02-2018, 11:14 PM
:thumb: no pics.?

OregonRob
01-03-2018, 12:02 AM
I’ll post them. Can’t figure it out on my phone.