PDA

View Full Version : Horizon 16" classic vs Yoder Cheyenne

Boisblancboy
12-24-2017, 11:18 PM
After reading the very lengthy thread of the Yoder Cheyenne drafting issues it made me a bit nervous to go with the small Yoder offset. I know it seems many people have had success with it, but also many have had problems.

Since researching I've come across the Horizon 16" classic, which looks almost exactly like the Yoder and dimensionally is also very similar.

I've tried finding some reviews or videos from people using the horizon classic but can't seem to find much on it. So I'm hoping from the group here someone will have some good information to help me make my decision. For me spending close to $1500 on a unit with the shipping I want to make sure I know what I'm getting. Thanks for the help everyone.

CraigC
12-25-2017, 04:38 AM
I purchased mine several years ago. I really like it. It is the perfect size for my needs. I mainly use it for large batches of sausage or multiple butts and turkey. I also have a large BGE that does the job for just my wife and I.

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/36788-albums309-picture6771.jpg

Rockinar
12-25-2017, 05:22 AM
For $1800 (maybe even $1500?) I guarantee theres a builder near you making something better than Yoder or Horizon can do. We all know Yoder dont work and I would not drop $1500 on a Horizon to be the test mule. I have not heard complaints about the Horizon, but I have not heard T-Roy complain about his Yoder and we know for a fact it does not draft.

Worst case you can get a 20x48" Old Country shipped for like $1200. Fit and finish will be rough cause they are made in Mexico, doors will leak some smoke, but it will be 1/4" so good heat retention and it will draft properly.

A 4' x 8' 1/4" sheet of steel is $200. Two of those rolled into 20" pipe and some extras and a good fabricator could make you a pit as good as any Gator at a cost to him of $500 roughly. Selling them for $1500 would be easy money. I gurantee theres someone near you doing it. I would do some research. i know Outlaw BBQ Smokers in Indiana makes good smokers. Maybe he will build you a basic one or knows someone who will?

Boisblancboy
12-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Well I had no idea but my wife surprised me with a Yoder this morning for Xmas. I知 hoping that with the stated problems that I値l be able to make it work.

el luchador
12-25-2017, 09:06 AM
For $1800 (maybe even $1500?) I guarantee theres a builder near you making something better than Yoder or Horizon can do. We all know Yoder dont work and I would not drop $1500 on a Horizon to be the test mule. I have not heard complaints about the Horizon, but I have not heard T-Roy complain about his Yoder and we know for a fact it does not draft.

Worst case you can get a 20x48" Old Country shipped for like $1200. Fit and finish will be rough cause they are made in Mexico, doors will leak some smoke, but it will be 1/4" so good heat retention and it will draft properly.

A 4' x 8' 1/4" sheet of steel is $200. Two of those rolled into 20" pipe and some extras and a good fabricator could make you a pit as good as any Gator at a cost to him of $500 roughly. Selling them for $1500 would be easy money. I gurantee theres someone near you doing it. I would do some research. i know Outlaw BBQ Smokers in Indiana makes good smokers. Maybe he will build you a basic one or knows someone who will?

Who would do the rolling? The steel shop?

Ag76
12-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Well I had no idea but my wife surprised me with a Yoder this morning for Xmas. I知 hoping that with the stated problems that I値l be able to make it work.

Nice looking pit. I bet it works fine for you.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-25-2017, 10:10 AM
Very nice. The chatter from the grapevine is that the Cheyenne cooks like a champ. It's the Wichita that supposedly has the woes. Cook with confidence and Merry Christmas!!

PnkPanther
12-25-2017, 10:58 AM
I looked into Cheyenne last spring, most of feedback I saw was positive

I think you'll be happy with it, keep us up to date

Boisblancboy
12-25-2017, 11:53 AM
I for sure will give a detailed review! I’ll pay it forward to make sure when spending this kind of money that people know what they are getting.

SmittyJonz
12-25-2017, 11:56 AM

:thumb:

angryelfFan
12-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Great wife! Fire that baby up and keep us posted. Enjoy the new smoker.

Boisblancboy
12-25-2017, 01:37 PM
If I would have ordered this unit personally I would have gotten the pot warmer, mostly to wet wood splits on it to preheat them. Since it doesn’t have a flat spot on the firebox any tips tricks or ingenuity anyone would be willing to share so I can set the splits on it?

angryelfFan
12-25-2017, 01:51 PM
If I would have ordered this unit personally I would have gotten the pot warmer, mostly to wet wood splits on it to preheat them. Since it doesn稚 have a flat spot on the firebox any tips tricks or ingenuity anyone would be willing to share so I can set the splits on it?

This is what can be placed on a round firebox: https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/oklahoma-joes-highland-reverse-flow-smoker/0000000256124?gclid=CjwKCAiA4ILSBRA0EiwAsuuBLbUA6t Q45vyTGML2eg1A9m2eLY9j5S6bAGSGJx6vLfmYdiTxt_XOuxoC l7wQAvD_BwE

Boisblancboy
12-25-2017, 02:15 PM
This is what can be placed on a round firebox: https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/oklahoma-joes-highland-reverse-flow-smoker/0000000256124?gclid=CjwKCAiA4ILSBRA0EiwAsuuBLbUA6t Q45vyTGML2eg1A9m2eLY9j5S6bAGSGJx6vLfmYdiTxt_XOuxoC l7wQAvD_BwE

Link takes me to a Oklahoma joe reverse flow smoker.

angryelfFan
12-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Link takes me to a Oklahoma joe reverse flow smoker.

Yes, I just meant for you to look at the simple wood warmer that is attached to the round firebox. They work well. It is just a matter of you attaching it.

Boisblancboy
12-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Yes, I just meant for you to look at the simple wood warmer that is attached to the round firebox. They work well. It is just a matter of you attaching it.

Oh ok! I can weld and do some light fabricating. But if it was something I didn稚 have to attach I thought that might be an easier route. Hate to mess the new finish up on the smoker.