PDA

View Full Version : Therm port and yoder Cheyenne

Boisblancboy
12-24-2017, 02:46 AM
Hey guys I've read in a lot of cases people not being able to get their thermo prob through the port that yonder offers. Anyone know if the fireboard probes will fit?

Joshw
12-24-2017, 03:28 AM
I think Yoder has changed their probe ports. The one on my ys640 is about a 1" hole, with a swinging plate. The old probe ports were a lot more constrictive. I would check before ordering to find out what type of port they will be adding. I put 2 mavericks with no problem at all, and could put more. If you get the new style, I don't think you will have a problem.

https://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-probe-port-new-style.html

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-24-2017, 04:55 AM
I have a Yoder Cheyenne and getting probes through the old-style probe port was a nightmare. A straight probe was OK, but any food probe which had a bend to it was was more difficult... basically you had to go from the inside and push the connector outside through the probe port.

All that being said, do you already have a Cheyenne or are you just now looking into one?

Boisblancboy
12-24-2017, 09:34 AM
I have a Yoder Cheyenne and getting probes through the old-style probe port was a nightmare. A straight probe was OK, but any food probe which had a bend to it was was more difficult... basically you had to go from the inside and push the connector outside through the probe port.

All that being said, do you already have a Cheyenne or are you just now looking into one?

I plan on ordering the Cheyenne this week but when I have talked with the guys at yonder never thought to ask that. Just like hearing from people that actually use things vs just hearing it from the sales people.

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-24-2017, 04:15 PM
I plan on ordering the Cheyenne this week but when I have talked with the guys at yonder never thought to ask that. Just like hearing from people that actually use things vs just hearing it from the sales people.

I would personally advise against buying a Yoder Cheyenne. The smaller offset smokers from Yoder have some airflow issues and it appears as though Yoder has no interest in actually fixing / addressing them. For starters there's not enough airflow to run the smoker with your firebox door closed, even with all your vents open. No matter what you do you'll suffocate your fire and end up with a horrible white smoke. The draft is so weak that if you experience any wind which isn't blowing directly into your firebox it will suffocate your fire. Using my Cheyenne I had to babysit it constantly and rotate it often to keep the wind directly into the firebox. Even a weak crosswind (blowing from exhaust end to firebox end) will be enough to stop the draft of your cooker and suffocate the fire.

There's a few things which contribute to these issues, but mainly it's the super small and short exhaust stack which just isn't big enough to get a good draft. The size and location of the air vents in the firebox door are also an issue which is compounded by the weak draft of the exhaust stack. Yoder seems to think this design "slows down the draft" in an attempt give you more smoke on the meat, but all it really does is make cooking on it an absolute nightmare.

The decision is still yours, of course, but I just wanted you to know what it is that you're getting into. I was so excited when I got my Cheyenne (my first stick burner) but holy crap was it a pain in the butt to cook on. Here's a very long and in depth thread about the issues with the Yoder Wichita, but the Cheyenne also suffers from the same problem. A poster by the name of Slamkeys has done some very in depth testing / problem solving and his analysis is pretty on spot if you ask me.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226666

You can also look at the posts by YS Joe (towards the end of that thread) and make up your own mind as to whether or not that's the guy with which you want to do business.

On a side note there is a very similar cooker from a company called Horizon Smokers. If you do some comparison looking at the photos you'll see the smoke stack of the Horizon is much longer and you will also notice the Horizon cooker has the firebox mounted lower which gives a better draft.

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/backyard-smokers-1/16-classic-smoker

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to further the conversation. Good luck either way but I just wanted you to be aware of the issues with the Cheyenne before you spent all that money.