PDA

View Full Version : Christmas came early this year!

agoldswo
12-24-2017, 12:53 AM
Local book store was closing and i stopped in to see what they had left at 60% off, got this book for 5 bucks!

IamMadMan
12-24-2017, 07:39 AM
I've had the hardcover version for many years. It has a lot of unique and odd sauces from all around the globe. Although I've never made any of the recipes exactly as in the book, however it does provoke thoughts on altering current recipes for experimentation.

There is a section on adding spices to the sauce and how they influence flavors of the sauce. It has a nice section on hot fresh / dried / canned peppers that helped me add different hot peppers that add unique flavors to items rather than just the heat. There is also a small section on making hot sauces.

The back also has a list of mail order purveyors for unique spices from around the globe.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book. It's just not a book I'd recommend to a beginner, but a great book for someone who likes to experiment or search for new ideas.

Smoking Piney
12-24-2017, 08:43 AM
I have the book. It's a great source of inspiration when I'm looking to do something off the beaten path.

agoldswo
12-24-2017, 09:30 AM
I agree, even in just the beginning of the book, it's not for the beginner. Lots of flavor profiles from around the world that i would never even think of trying. Ever since i was a kid i have been experimenting with different flavors, both bbq and traditional kitchen cooking. I ended up getting a 4 year foodservice degree, with lots of kitchen time there and at home. Now i just have to get off my lazy butt and finish building my UDS that's been in my garage for 3 or 4 years now.