PDA

View Full Version : Tips to source good beef ribs?

wahoowad
12-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Wanted to smoke another rack of beef ribs tomorrow so picked some up tonight. They normally cut all their beef ribs into shorties to sell but will pull a rack of plate ribs out of a cryovak and weigh/label them for me to buy. I don't get to sort through their available stock since they have to handle them unwrapped. I ask for a meaty one and get what they pick.

Usually I am underwhelmed at the rack I end up with. Tonight I am trimming off unnecessary fat and getting quite a few low spots where there isn't much meat under the fat. That will cook down to the bone and make an irregular rack when done as well as while cooking.

Any good online places with good prices sell beef ribs? I paid $5.99/lb for reference.

mchar69
12-22-2017, 11:07 PM
I'm with you. Once in the cryovac, the butcher has no option either, he's not gonna open up 5 to find you one.....no chance.
answer is to raise and butcher your own steer...
Here at Laurel Meat Market (MD) they are $5 a pound as well.
Same Cryovac.

Sid Post
12-22-2017, 11:49 PM
Any good online places with good prices sell beef ribs? I paid $5.99/lb for reference.

Sounds like we have the same butchers out here.

Have you tried independent butcher shops?

wahoowad
12-23-2017, 07:22 AM
My town has one or two boutique butcher shops. They rarely have much stock in their display case and I'm still not quite sure what their deal is. I think they may take special orders and focus on "local" but they never have a brisket or rack of beef ribs for me to look at when I ask. I stopped asking. I think they are too small to focus on specialty things like that and instead focus on standard cuts of "local" for rich people. Their prices are usually at least twice what I would expect to pay.

DanB
12-23-2017, 08:23 AM
If you have a Restaurant Depot, close buy , they have them there.
Dan

kathicooks
12-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Dan

+1. Good and reasonably meaty.

Burnt at Both Endz
12-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Dan

That's where I get mine. They have them 4 in a pack or by the case. The last ones I got was a little over $5/lb.

sudsandswine
12-23-2017, 01:54 PM
I picked some up from RD last week as well. I've been real happy with the ones I've cooked from there in the past. I'll be doing them Christmas day along with a ham.

wahoowad
12-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Sadly I do not have a Restaurant Depot within 100 miles. On a more positive note the smell of these beef ribs and my smoke coming out of my wsm is absolutely insane right now :)

JokerBroker
12-23-2017, 04:40 PM
I like a good deal as much as anyone but I've never had inexpensive beef ribs that compare to what you get from a real butcher shop. I'm talking about 1.5 pounds per bone. The next time I get them, I am going to cut them into 2 bone sections so I can get more rub and bark.