PDA

View Full Version : How long will rib roast stay good before cooking?

Blowin' Smoke
12-21-2017, 09:06 PM
My wife and I volunteered to host Christmas dinner at our house the weekend after Christmas because Iím on duty all week (go Navy). With the nature of things today, Instagram and Facebook and whatnot, we invited everyone so no one would get their feelings hurt. These folks usually are hard pressed to drive 25 minutes to go to the family Christmas dinner, so we felt pretty sure that only a handful would opt to drive two hours to our house. We were wrong. All 28 decided to come. So Iím trying to plan, and that brings me to my question: how long will a rib roast stay good in the fridge prior to cooking? Iím going to go to Costco on Saturday but wonít be cooking until the following Saturday. Will the roast stay good that long? Should I go ahead and season a few days early, or would that not make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

mchar69
12-21-2017, 09:15 PM
It will stay good that long. I pre-salted a roast 1/2 Tsp/lb 2 days prior to cooking and I did not taste a difference, but no harm rubbing it early.
For 28 people you need 2 big roasts. About 14 pounds after a healthy trim,
so 18 pounds raw at least.
Maybe more if they eat like animals.
Cooking bone off is easier, faster, more uniform.
I'd buy 2 10 pound boneless, trim them of external fat, rub them,
and count on up to 5 hours at 225 or so, before reverse sear at high temp.

Best of luck.

Hoss
12-21-2017, 09:49 PM
I have kept them in the original cryovac,in the extra fridge for 60 days with no problems whatsoever.You are good to go.

Happy Hapgood
12-21-2017, 10:12 PM
I had the same question and the Wife is crazy about date stamps.

Check post #56 and Good Luck. It will be fine.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254939&page=4

Blowin' Smoke
12-21-2017, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys. I’m definitely going to get one big roast, maybe two, but I’m also going to cook salmon and chicken. Some people don’t eat beef, some don’t eat chicken, and one only eats fish. So I figured one big roast, a few split chicken breasts, and a cedar plank salmon should get everyone fed considering sides and desserts.

Cook
12-22-2017, 10:51 AM
With multiple meats you should be fine with one big loin (~15#). I can usually figure 15-18 decent steak cuts from a loin that size when doing prime rib. If you're slicing thin, to go along with chicken & some fish, then you should be ok with one loin.