PDA

View Full Version : Making Christmas brisket tomorrow...need help

stangman327
12-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Should I slice it after I let it rest or should I leave it whole until Christmas and then slice?

Also I'm thinking about using SM Peppered Cow or Black Ops or a mix of both...is that to much or would you go with one or the other?

Smoking Piney
12-20-2017, 09:47 PM
If you cook and slice it tomorrow, the slices will be dried out in a couple of hours.

Why cook so early? You're talking 3 days......:confused:

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-20-2017, 10:02 PM
If you cook and slice it tomorrow, the slices will be dried out in a couple of hours.

Why cook so early? You're talking 3 days......:confused:

Agree with Piney,

FWIW, my thanksgiving brisket was finished WAY early and rested in a cooler for several hours.

If you have to cook so early then I wouldnít slice it until ready to serve because the meat will start to oxidize with ambient air. Good luck and pics are always appreciated

stangman327
12-20-2017, 10:05 PM
With working all weekend I wonít have time and Iíve been FORBIDDEN to sit on the cooker Christmas morning and must attend family breakfast at the in-laws house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CentralOhioBBQ
12-20-2017, 10:05 PM
None of the above broseph. Wait and cook it morning of. Either way, if u cook it tomorrow the brisket will be painfully dry and ready to be made into chili by Monday..

CptKaos
12-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Smoke it for a few hours then vacuum bag it if you can and refrigerate until Christmas morning then finish it in the oven

Larry

aerotech11
12-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Black ops and cook it the day of. Like said above cook too early and it won't be too good. You could plan to have it finish early Christmas morning. Wrap it and let it rest in the cooler until ready for dinner. Should hold for quite a while. That way you won't be tending the cooker during family time. Happy wife and some excellent brisket. Done.

WareZdaBeef
12-20-2017, 10:22 PM
five days? DO NOT SLICE. Dont even let it sit in the fridge unless its vacuum sealed. Vacuum seal it, keep it under 40F until christams, and bring a pot of water to 140F and let it soak in the pot for 30 minutes until your ready to slice and serve.

Jason TQ
12-20-2017, 10:24 PM
I've cooked many briskets that I've cooled and vacuum sealed whole to then heat up in a full pan of water in a 300 oven. Takes a few hours to heat up. Is banging each time.

layne
12-20-2017, 10:35 PM
I've cooked many briskets that I've cooled and vacuum sealed whole to then heat up in a full pan of water in a 300 oven. Takes a few hours to heat up. Is banging each time.

Very interesting!

OklaDustDevil
12-20-2017, 11:08 PM
i agree with the above; -- absolutely do not slice.

patrickd26
12-21-2017, 12:01 AM
five days? DO NOT SLICE. Dont even let it sit in the fridge unless its vacuum sealed. Vacuum seal it, keep it under 40F until christams, and bring a pot of water to 140F and let it soak in the pot for 30 minutes until your ready to slice and serve.

I've been in this predicament several times. This is probably your best advice. The only thing I can add is to re-season after the water, and broil (to your visual liking) for just a few minutes after following the instructions posted. That's the only way, my friend..

stangman327
12-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all of your advise!

Iím going to l ave it whole and vacuum seal it after the rest and reheat in a warm bath for a few hours before serving.

I just put her on and now Iím going to let the M1 do her thing. 152946

stangman327
12-22-2017, 12:49 AM
Let it go for five hours then places in an aluminum pan (Myron Mixon style) then finished in the oven.

Couldnít help myself and cut into it...man was this thing juicy and flavorful . Iím sure the injection I used helped with that. Didnít have the crusty bark but to be honest I really didnít miss it this time.

I vacuum sealed it and Iíll warm it back up Monday via a warm bath for a few hours.