PDA

View Full Version : Peoria Custom Cookers owners

grisch
12-18-2017, 05:14 PM
PCC owners, I'm heading to my parents pad over the holidays in central Ill and plan to tour PCC shop and check out their MMIF and MMOF cookers. I'm curious to hear from current owners - what options did you choose? are there any options you wish you would have chosen and why?

thx

Uses will include home, "catering" gigs for family events (my wife's mother is youngest of 15 children and her father was one of 12 so huge family with no shortage of events) and church gatherings and the like. Someday I might compete but for now cooking for family and friends is the goal.

FYI
currently own a backyard Gatorpit stick burner
large and min-max Big Green Eggs

"need" a trailored pit:wink:

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Not a PCC owner but I’ve always admired their gear. If I were to envision a cooker on a drawing board from ground up it would be MMOF. That power point on their website speaks for itself. Insulated firebox and cook chamber save so many BTUs that would’ve been wasted

BUT the minimum 10 G price tag is what’s kept a little guy like me out of the running. When I win the powerball, I’ll get me a dozen cookers to complete battleship Row!!

rocky2298
12-19-2017, 05:21 AM
PCC owners, I'm heading to my parents pad over the holidays in central Ill and plan to tour PCC shop and check out their MMIF and MMOF cookers. I'm curious to hear from current owners - what options did you choose? are there any options you wish you would have chosen and why?

thx

Uses will include home, "catering" gigs for family events (my wife's mother is youngest of 15 children and her father was one of 12 so huge family with no shortage of events) and church gatherings and the like. Someday I might compete but for now cooking for family and friends is the goal.

FYI
currently own a backyard Gatorpit stick burner
large and min-max Big Green Eggs

"need" a trailored pit:wink:

I replied to your personal message sent to me.

If you live in a colder climate like I do you will really appreciate the craftsmanship of this cooker.

layne
12-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Love my MMIF!

ITBFQ
12-19-2017, 09:09 AM
I don't own one, but have heard nothing but positive things. If central IL means close to Iroquois County, a friend of mine is selling his Peoria cooker. I'm sure he'd let you take a look at it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250493

grisch
12-19-2017, 08:15 PM
thx gents

medic92
12-19-2017, 08:47 PM
I love mine for the most part. I have the MMIF. Additions were the kettle grill, storage box on the trailer, pig rack and set of third racks. It holds a rock steady 225 degrees even when it's 17 degrees outside and with the extension tube on the firebox you get get upwards of 15 hours continuous burn depending on the temperature you're using.

Downsides...
When you have a lot of meat on all three shelves it's a pain to move the shelves around to get to the meat on the lower ones.
The third-tier racks are starting to sag in the middle somewhat and that's causing the legs to splay out.
The area right next to the firebox is a definite hotspot, hence the need to shift meat around on the lower shelves.
Everyone else raves about the customer service but they must not have liked me. When I picked mine up, the owner and secretary couldn't be bothered to be there to even give me a vague idea of how to use it. They wanted me to hand a check over to the shop foreman and wait for an email receipt. I refused and made the foreman write a receipt.
There were no follow-up calls or emails to see how it was working or if I had any questions.
Personally, I think when I drop nearly $11,000 on a smoker someone should show some form of appreciation for my decision to buy from them

The other things are minor inconveniences that are completely made up for in the craftmanship and performance of the smoker. I love it and I love using it. I cook an average of 9-12 briskets, eight pork shoulders and 20 racks of ribs every week and it handles it like a champ.

I probably won't buy another just because frankly I feel insulted by the lack of attention from the owner, but that's just been my experience and apparently they're a lot nicer to everyone else.

If I could do it all over again I'd order the stainless smokestacks that can be turned away from the wind.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-19-2017, 09:06 PM
That’s a hoot with dropping 11 Gs and no interaction. I feel like pit builders slack once they’ve made it. Glad to know it cooks like a champ

medic92
12-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Thatís a hoot with dropping 11 Gs and no interaction. I feel like pit builders slack once theyíve made it. Glad to know it cooks like a champ

It bummed me out a little but I'm also hugely picky when it comes to customer service. I bust my butt to make sure my customers know I recognize them and appreciate their patronage. I'll tip a waiter the price of my meal if I get good service and I'll pay more for something just because the staff is good to me. I expect the same from others, especially small businesses.

One other note, that kettle grill is a beast! I love that thing almost as much as the smoker. It can hold rock-steady temperatures as well and it's a master of indirect high-heat cooking. Also, if anyone's wondering it will hold 5 pizza stones with room to spare. :becky:

Czarbecue
12-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Also, if anyone's wondering it will hold 5 pizza stones with room to spare. :becky:

Alright, let's see this beast :clap:

layne
12-19-2017, 10:52 PM
Medic92, my feelings about the smoker and the customer service are nearly exact to yours.
BTW, I did get the stainless stacks, and love them.

medic92
12-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Here are a few quick ones I found from this summer...

medic92
12-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Medic92, my feelings about the smoker and the customer service are nearly exact to yours.
BTW, I did get the stainless stacks, and love them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt ignored. Those stacks would come in handy on those 40 mph windy days!

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-20-2017, 04:45 AM
I felt the same way about my Vault. No response to my emails and calls.

Even though I’m peripherally supporting them, I felt better about buying used (loved) from a private seller. I don’t like this idea of spending a small fortune and being ignored by a small company :(

medic92
12-20-2017, 09:38 AM
I felt the same way about my Vault. No response to my emails and calls.

Even though Iím peripherally supporting them, I felt better about buying used (loved) from a private seller. I donít like this idea of spending a small fortune and being ignored by a small company :(

I don't care for it either but I did get an amazing smoker out of the deal and learned a lesson in the process. All in all it was a win. :-D

Fishiest1
12-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Wowsers! I just have to say I put in an order to Deep South on Friday and have received 14 emails (just counted) from Randall (the owner) helping me with the build.

Don't mean to derail.

layne
12-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Freekin photobucket

rocky2298
12-22-2017, 12:36 PM
I love mine for the most part. I have the MMIF. Additions were the kettle grill, storage box on the trailer, pig rack and set of third racks. It holds a rock steady 225 degrees even when it's 17 degrees outside and with the extension tube on the firebox you get get upwards of 15 hours continuous burn depending on the temperature you're using.

Downsides...
When you have a lot of meat on all three shelves it's a pain to move the shelves around to get to the meat on the lower ones.
The third-tier racks are starting to sag in the middle somewhat and that's causing the legs to splay out.
The area right next to the firebox is a definite hotspot, hence the need to shift meat around on the lower shelves.
Everyone else raves about the customer service but they must not have liked me. When I picked mine up, the owner and secretary couldn't be bothered to be there to even give me a vague idea of how to use it. They wanted me to hand a check over to the shop foreman and wait for an email receipt. I refused and made the foreman write a receipt.
There were no follow-up calls or emails to see how it was working or if I had any questions.
Personally, I think when I drop nearly $11,000 on a smoker someone should show some form of appreciation for my decision to buy from them

The other things are minor inconveniences that are completely made up for in the craftmanship and performance of the smoker. I love it and I love using it. I cook an average of 9-12 briskets, eight pork shoulders and 20 racks of ribs every week and it handles it like a champ.

I probably won't buy another just because frankly I feel insulted by the lack of attention from the owner, but that's just been my experience and apparently they're a lot nicer to everyone else.

If I could do it all over again I'd order the stainless smokestacks that can be turned away from the wind.

I use an aluminum pizza peel with longer handle to move around and remove big hunks of meat on my MM External box.

Once heated up and settled in with meat my temp difference from firebox to exhaust side is around 25-35 degrees.

I run with all wood cooks now. small fire and preheated splits works like a charm even with all the insulation.

T&S BBQ
12-22-2017, 01:27 PM
I have had good luck with the service, even have talked to the owner a couple of times. But your right, I have never met him, only the shop Forman, and as you know, heís very hard to understand. The work they do is awesome, the fabrication is top notch. Even compared to the Shirlys, you wonít find better welding. I had some work done on it last December, changed some things and added some things. One again, great work, and came in cheaper than quoted. The owner is a dentist or oral surgeon, so canít be there much.

medic92
12-23-2017, 06:19 PM
I use an aluminum pizza peel with longer handle to move around and remove big hunks of meat on my MM External box.

Once heated up and settled in with meat my temp difference from firebox to exhaust side is around 25-35 degrees.

I run with all wood cooks now. small fire and preheated splits works like a charm even with all the insulation.

I've been wondering about going to all wood on it, they told me you couldn't. I was thinking about small splits stacked vertically with the bottom end lit so it could still be somewhat of a gravity feed.

I need to get a new wood chamber, it's starting to warp from the heat and the top racks are bowing out a bit. I really like the idea of the pizza peel, I'll have to get one.

grisch
12-30-2017, 11:16 AM

So I visited the PCC shop yesterday. Here's my take:

Build quality, fit and finish - top notch, these rigs are very solid, clean welds, heavy duty and beautiful! Apparently last year they started using Caterpillar paint - same paint they use on their heavy equipment (i think they build a smoker for their ceo) - this looks amazing and will hold up better than powder coat.

service - I met with Young, the shop foremen. Nice guy but communication was a challenge - at least the in depth convo I was hoping to have - english is his second language. I let Sarah know well ahead of time when I planned to visit and shared that I come anytime over a two day period around her or bill's schedule so I could talk to either. She stated "that's not the way it works and to just let her know when I would be there and she would come from the dentist office if she could". I told her when i was coming. she never showed and hasn't followed up. Their product is innovate and top notch but being in a retail business it's frustrating to not have a more consultative sales experience for such expensive product.

the biggest challenge for my application is portability. i need to be able to pull the trailer over grass and a graded yard from driveway to patio. and back on the few times a year I would pull to events. the PCC's are HEAVY - 2500 lbs for the MMOF. they do have a smaller model 24x48 (pics attached) - about 1500 lbs. not sure how I would pull to backyard as my truck won't fit on side yard?

I may go a different direction with something lighter. I chatted with Pete at Ironsides this morning. fantastic guy. I'm intrigued by their design - able to burn splits in a vertical insulated smoker.

the search continues.

T&S BBQ
12-30-2017, 01:43 PM
I have the backyard 24x48 mounted on the meat monster trailer. I pull it around my yard with my lawn mower when I cook at home on the front patio. When I pull it down the road I switch back the the original receiver. Works great! It's not the meat monster, but it didn't cost like the meat monster. It cooks great and uses very little wood, and puts out awesome BBQ. I have done 24 racks of ribs on her or 10 butts. Last winter I added the stainless shelf and a lot larger ports on the side. Also changed the tunning plates. I can stay a few degrees from side to side, if not the same.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-30-2017, 05:26 PM
If you’re interested in an insulated stickburner that don’t cost 10 Large, check out Myron Mixon H2O, there’s two in the classifieds. I watched his videos and I’m now intrigued. It’s insulated FB and insulated CC. May be a high quality alternative with proven results